Today's Chinese sentence

Wo3 xiang3 shi4 ba. Sentence shi4 ju4zi, subject shi4 wen2fa3 de zhu3ci2.
I think is eh. ju4zi is sentence and zhu3ci2 is grammar of subject.
I think so. Ju4zi is sentence and zhu3ci2 is grammatical subject.

Bob,

not sure if it’s your thing or a common idea, but I really like your method of literal translation into engrish first and then the logical translation from that.

I try to do it in my head and write the logical version down straight away, but I think your method is great.

Xie4xie5. Dan4shi4 zhe4 shi4 Ironman de zhu3yi. Wo3 ye3 zhen1 xi3huan. Zhe4 shi4 xue2xi2 wen2fa3 xue2 sheng1 de hao3 ban4fa3.
Thanks thanks but this is Ironman of idea. I also really like. This is study grammar study tones of good method
Thanks but this was Ironman’s idea. I really like it to. It is a good way to study grammar and tones.

whoops, thanks Ironman. I always like to give credit where it is due. :wink:

xie4 xie5 Ironman.

another sign of complication here…xie5!! :noway: :laughing:

don’t worry. the Xie5 is the California version of the BMW X5.

don’t worry. the xie5 is the California version of the BMW X5.[/quote]

so des ne! :bravo:

Ni3men zhen4 nai4xin1. Wo fan4 cuo4wu4 hao3 duo1. Xie4xie5
You all really patient. I make mistake so many. Thanks.
You guys are really patient with my many mistakes. Thanks.

[quote=“bob”]Ni3men zhen4 nai4xin1. Wo fan4 cuo4wu4 hao3 duo1. Xie4xie5
You all really patient. I make mistake so many. Thanks.
You guys are really patient with my many mistakes. Thanks.[/quote]

making mistakes is nothing, learning from it is everything. :bravo:

btw, it’s better to say, “ni3 men2 zhen4 you3 nai4 xin1”
“Wo3 fan4 de4 cuo4wu4 hao3 duo1”

[color=red]Tuesday 2nd August 8:00am[/color]

[color=blue]Write today’s sentence down and practise it through the day. [/color]

Note that each days sentence is taken from day to day Mandarin spoken in Taiwan and may not quite correspond with your Mandarin books.

[quote=“bob”]Wo3 yao4 ti2gong1 jian4yi4. Ke3yi3 ma.
I want provide advice. OK
I want to give you some advice OK?
[/quote]

Thanks Bob. :bravo:

And now, I’d like to introduce for everyone’s benefit just a bit of orthographical convention which facilitates reading:

It’s best to leave no space in the middle of two characters which form a compound word. Thus,

ni3 men2 zhen4 you3 nai4 xin1

should be rewritten as:

“ni3men2 zhen4 you3 nai4xin1”.

This also applies to the de5 particle (not 4th tone BTW), so

“Wo3 fan4 de4 cuo4wu4 hao3 duo1”

becomes

“Wo3 fan4de cuo4wu4 hao3 duo1”.

Finally, 5th tone, aka neutral tone syllables can be written without the numeral 5, which personally I think makes it easier to read.

加油 jia1you2!

[quote=“Ironman”]
[color=red]Wedneday 3rd August 8:00am[/color]

[color=blue]Write today’s sentence down and practise it through the day. [/color]

Note that each days sentence is taken from day to day Mandarin spoken in Taiwan and may not quite correspond with your Mandarin books.

[quote=“bob”]
Qing3 nin3de peng2you3 bang1 ni3 lu4 zhe4xie1 ju4ci.

Qǐng nǐnde p

Any reason why the first time is “nin3” and the second time is “ni3”?

Yes, it’s always nin2 您 is always with a second tone, therefore nin3 is a typo, I guess.

REALLY sorry guys. I’ve never been what anybody would call “detail oriented”. :blush:

Uh… yeah, that’s right, but I wanted to know why he used the polite form the first time, but not the second time.

Uh… yeah, that’s right, but I wanted to know why he used the polite form the first time, but not the second time.[/quote]

Incongruence, I guess. that’s a fairly normal mistake for non-native speakers of English too, btw.

Me to Bob. I’m getting slightly hammered here. We need to get back on the horse though.

Can you check that third one you put in a row a few pages back. Its up for the blast furnace soon.

OK done. Nin3s all changed to nin2s (I hope).

Now I am wondering if making mistakes and then going back and correcting them isn’t perhaps a good way to stay focused on something long enough to learn it…

[quote=“Ironman”]
[color=red]Thursday 4th August 7:45am[/color]

ran2hou4 mei3tian1 fu4xi2 jie2guo3 ni3 jin4bu4 hen3 kuai4.

r