Today's Google doodle about Taiwanese author Sanmao

I knew zero about her until I clicked the doodle and read her Wikipedia page. She lived quite an interesting life, and now I want to check out her writing. Has anyone here read anything by her?

5 Likes

We have written several articles about her in Spanish. There are tours to her home in Las Canarias, and an Olive tree planted in her honor there.

Wow, I never knew about this lady either. It sounds like she had a really interesting life, although it was touched many times by tragedy. Will have to look into her writing.

I have, though I don’t remember much of it. I recall a short piece talking about how men hiding behind beards are shy, and I was thinking “that’s an gross over generalization”

She was really famous over 20 years ago, when people here actually READ books.
I miss those times. People have become really dumbed down.

I read half of her book in China but then got bored of reading a book in Chinese.

I read a couple of her books years ago. I don’t remember them being particularly interesting or well-written. I remember thinking, “What’s all the hype about?”

Some of them reads like travel blogs before the Internet existed.

1 Like

Yeah, her popularity seemed to be based solely on the fact that she was providing firsthand accounts of the outside world. I guess that’s something.

First one to do so in Chinese. First one to get paid for it. Pre internet era. In Spain she was well known as exotic herself.