TOEFL and IELTS eacher training in Taipei

I am a qualified,experienced TEFL teacher but would like to improve my teaching and get some more qualifications. Can anyone recommend any good teacher training courses/schools in Taipei specifically IELTS and TOEFL if possible? Thanks

Contact kiwi@ielts.com

It’s 30,000 NT$ for either an intensive 1 week course or a month long/weekend (Sat) only course
Instructors are good and you get your certificate fast. Highly recommend them. I forgot the name but it’s on Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall station.

[quote=“hs172”]Contact kiwi@ielts.com

It’s 30,000 NT$ for either an intensive 1 week course or a month long/weekend (Sat) only course
Instructors are good and you get your certificate fast. Highly recommend them. I forgot the name but it’s on Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall station.[/quote]
Is there anyway somebody in Taichung can attend one of these things?

That seems a little expensive.

Anything with IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC or some other test name attached to it usually is.

[quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”][quote=“hs172”]Contact kiwi@ielts.com

Instructors are good and you get your certificate fast. Highly recommend them. I forgot the name but it’s on Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall station.[/quote]
Is there anyway somebody in Taichung can attend one of these things?[/quote]
Yeah, you take the Saturday course and go to Taipei on Saturday. Problem solved.

[quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”]
Is there anyway somebody in Taichung can attend one of these things?[/quote]

I’m afraid I don’t know much about Taichung. But the contact I gave you is very flexible as you can also do it online at home and come up at the end of the month/week depending on your choice and give a teaching demo (which is one of your requirements). Bear in mind that you WILL have to take more tests/essays if you opt for the online course. I suggest you give them an email to see how they can help you

As for the price, I earned that 30k back in half a month when i did my teaching gig. So I think it’s worth it. Not now though… :frowning:

I don’t know too much about TOEFL. For IELTS you need to have at least 3 yrs exp and a CELTA or recognised TEFL to be an examiner. You can do that through the British Council or IDP who hold training sessions about once a year. Personally, I wouldn’t trust a course that provide IELTS teacher training. Surely the best way to learn is to read up on the test and get some teaching exp.

I don’t know too much about TOEFL. For IELTS you need to have at least 3 yrs exp and a CELTA or recognised TEFL to be an examiner. You can do that through the British Council or IDP who hold training sessions about once a year. Personally, I wouldn’t trust a course that provide IELTS teacher training. Surely the best way to learn is to read up on the test and get some teaching exp.[/quote]

Yeah. Just look the IELTS website. What is it you want to learn, exactly? Test format? How to teach adults?

That contact I gave was for TESOL certification btw… It teaches you ‘how to teach’ kids and gives that certificate that all Taiwanese buxibans/school wants as a start.

That contact I gave was for TESOL certification btw… It teaches you ‘how to teach’ kids and gives that certificate that all Taiwanese buxibans/school wants as a start.[/quote]
I think asking for a TESL certificate is a bit much for a buxiban, and if you have one, they should pay you more.

I didn’t know that. Thanks :smiley:

They should, but they won’t. :laughing:

That contact I gave was for TESOL certification btw… It teaches you ‘how to teach’ kids and gives that certificate that all Taiwanese buxibans/school wants as a start.[/quote]

Ah, I clicked. Don’t do that, OP. go and get your CELTA in Bangkok (yes it’ll be more expensive, no you won’t be paid more in Taiwan, blah blah, at least until you get more experience). Or give me 30000 NT. I’ll spend a week on the phone with you teaching you everything about how to do IELTS and TOEFL prep classes. :laughing:

Some good responses thankyou, the best advice is simply to study the test.
thanks again.

[quote=“serendipityfox”]Some good responses thankyou, the best advice is simply to study the test.
thanks again.[/quote]

Yeah, just google it, it’s not, despite what people who make up their own courses might tell you, rocket science. If you know how to teach adults, just go with that. The trick is managing expectations and how you deal with the fact that 90% of your students aren’t at the level to get the band score they aspire to. Blend authentic test prep activities with remedial writing and speaking stuff. Strategies for dealing with papers they don’t have the speed or passive vocabulary to deal with. And listening and reading. 80% of this. Students will tell you they are 'good’at this and need to practice speaking and writing more. This is not the case.

Ielts.org, writefix.com, splendidspeaking.com are good places to start.

That’s 14 grand’s worth. :cactus:

I thought native speaker doesnt need this nasty shit,what’s the HELL?

I think you misunderstand. Or maybe not? :laughing:

An American instuctor who told me that even a native speaker think if they are good in English,go for IELTS exam.In order to teach ,a recognized TEFL certificate is compulsory. :ponder:

How about you try breaking this up in several shorter sentences for me.
Thanks.