Toilet Bowl Theme Restaurants

Original Title: Kaohsiung’s Toilet Restaurant

Saw these pictures and had to share them with you. Quite literally as the subject says, it’s a restaurant that features The Toilet. :loco: I haven’t gone myself and not sure why anyone would. I guess there’s something about eating your food out of a toilet that makes your stomach turn. Anyhow, got these pictures from my girlfriend’s friend. She said the food was fine. Seems like your usual Taiwanese style food. My guess is that the food is nothing special…and that they’re just trying to get customers from their theme. Oh, and there’s two locations…in Kaohsiung (sorry Taipei folks!) One somewhere on Lingya st and the other somewhere in Tzoying.

[EDIT] NEW LINK: djglenn.com.tw/toiletpage.html

Sorry, I’ve removed the direct links b/c I’ve been getting massive amounts of hotlinks from various forums and websites. [EDIT/END]

Will I go? Probably not to eat…but will stop by for a look. Enjoy!

oZzo

Christ, how disgusting. Maybe post a warning label: Not suitable for viewing right after eating.
And I thought the toilet paper roll prominently displayed on every Korean’s dining room or kitchen table was bad.

Eek!
I almost went into the one near the cultural center once because it looked kind of quirky inside, but my friend is vegetarian and they didn’t have anything for her to eat. I didn’t realize they actually serve food in toilets too. :astonished:

I once saw a movie where people all sat down together to take a crap but hid in little booths to eat. :loco:

There’s one in Taipei, well Panchiao, at the Hsinpu station. They specialize in curry and softserve ice cream, and it looks gross. Even grosser is the fruit Sunday, which after a few bites just looks like someone’s fruity vomit in a toilet bowl.

Ok, this is related and not related. Somehow this little page I created for forumosa is getting thousands and THOUSANDS of hits every day. I’ve gone through 9GB of bandwidth in the past 2 days! :astonished: Amazing. The majority of the hits come from this website: www.yonkis.com which actually seems to be a pretty cool site. Some interesting stuff there for those who are interested. Thought everyone might be interested.

oZzo

coolhunting.com/archives/200 … es.php?rss

Anyone ever ett there?

Some pictures from global boingboing.net puts Taiwan on the map again. It’s that restaurant in Taipei with a “toilet” theme. The thorough implementation includes toilet chairs, urinal sconces, and even commode shaped serving pieces. Probably not the best place to bring a child in potty training…

Tel: (02) 8253-7767

Not eaten there but my kids loved their 'matong binchilin" “toilet ice cream” at a tourist spot in central Taiwan: brown soft-serve ice cream served in a pink squatty toilet bowl… :loco:

Funny!

It’s interesting how in Asian cultures, poop is not as catastrophic an image as it usually is in the West. Here in Taiwan, lots of kids like to make “shit marks” when they doodle on paper, you can guess what it looks like.

I could never imagine kids in Paris, London, Montreal or Chicago going wild over “toilet ice cream.”

Hmmm…this may contribute to an explanation of the rampant liver disease death of Taiwanese children…10,000+ per year.

Fries in your squattie? Have at it you little munchers!

Taipei Times today followup with AFP report by former China Post reporter Amber Wang:

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003256125

Eating out of toilets is all the rage in Kaohsiung

After reading the Taipei Times story on the Internet today, a friend of mine who lives in California, wrote:

“Eating out of toilets. This truly frightens me. It’s a joke, right?”

I had to tell him it’s not a joke, it’s a true story from Taiwan. I think the shit will hit the fan next week when the AFP wire story gets printed around the world, country by country. Taiwan in the map again, for all the wrong reasons…

[quote=“Cola”]http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/2005/05/toilet_bowl_res.php?rss

Anyone ever ett there?

Some pictures from global boingboing.net puts Taiwan on the map again. It’s that restaurant in Taipei with a “toilet” theme. The thorough implementation includes toilet chairs, urinal sconces, and even commode shaped serving pieces. Probably not the best place to bring a child in potty training…

Tel: (02) 8253-7767[/quote]

Amazing! Those pictures from that article look identical to the one’s on my website of the kaohsiung restaurant. hehe Anyhow, guess I should let them know…

oZzo

Personally, I think this is a absolutely great idea! Does not happen that often that a local Taiwanese comes up with a great and unique marketing concept. :bravo: I am sure a lot of foreign visitors will go there as well. Compare it with the Indian Beer House on Bah Deh Road in Taipei, where the urinals are have the shape of a red neck’s face. Whenever I have overseas visitors here, I bring them there and they think it is so funny and that place, despite it’s bad food is in business for 15 years or so. I hope to see many more Toilet restaurants around the island and that it makes the owners very rich.

Good post, Taverncaptain. I guess that’s why you’re the Taverncaptain!

So what’s next after pissing on rednecks? Pissing on blacks, pissing on women, pissing on disabled people, pissing on Christans? Where does nastiness stop? And that is what you like to show visiting overseas guests in Taipei? Who knew?

As for the WC restaurant, long may it reek fame and fortune.

Creative, yes. Socially redeemable, no.

Something tells me that their food will taste like crap.

Cola, bad taste, bad news and esp. novelty sell that is what I wanted to point out when I mentioned the Indian Beer House. Sure you remember the absolutely horrible advertising campaign by Benetton in the nineties showing some real shocking photography. There sales jumped despite humam rights groups, etc. called to ban the brand. I personally just think this Toillet restaurant is creative, the guy took a hell of a risk. Let’s say, even if he has seen it in another country and copied it, still a huge risk to do this here in Taiwan. Unfortunately we do not see something like that very often. When TPEBOB opened and made people dance on the bar, everybody said, six months and it will be gone, when I changed the formula and plastered every inch with a screen people said it was commercial suicide and the rest is history!

Erm…TC is talking about two different places/bars here before anyone thinks we ditched the bar dancing thing at the suggestion of TC’s digital screen theme!!! :unamused:

But I know what he is saying and will go so far as to say that we both, to our chagrin, doubted each other’s approach too and did so publcly (at times it was an acrimonious relationship, I admit - TC will admit this too) but we get along fine now except that I remain the infinitely better looking operator and TC remains well, short :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley:

Bob

You can call me a fat bastard, I do not mind! :wink: But I am smarter than you :sunglasses: Have a good evening, Cheers!

You boys, the fat bastard and the not short one, are both hereby fined for straying off topic! If you can’t stay on message, open up a bar or something.

Oh, you did that already…