Toilet brushes in Taiwan

I was horrified to see the toilet brushes in some public toilets in Taiwan hanging in the air, dripping whatever was scrubbed from the bowl onto the floor of the cubicle, for people to step on and bring hitch hiking bugs out to greet the wider world.

In other countries the brushes and a receptacle to hold them (I usually keep mine soaking in bleach) are sold together.

Please tell me I just came across particularly grim examples of public toilets, and it isn’t what Taiwanese do as the norm in both private and public toilets?

1 Like

Where was this? The colonoscopy clinic?

Surely if it’s hanging in the air, it won’t reach down the toilet?

Never look in the bin.

12 Likes

Haha. It was 7-11. There was a hook about 30cm (I didn’t measure) off the floor, and the toilet brush was suspended from it, next to the bowl.

Doesn’t take a genius to figure out where the brush goes, after the janitor cleans the bowl with it.

Saw one in Taipei full of overflowing toilet paper, still see signs in older places to not flush paper and put in the bin. Kaohsiung has big sewer factory to process it, but seems not all places in Taiwan are connected thus can not flush paper. I avoid public toilets if possible.

2 Likes

I always bring my own toilet paper, toilet brush and toilet seat when using a public bathroom. For that, I carry a small bag pack everywhere I go. I think that’s the most hygienic way :whistle:

4 Likes

Did you know that it also serves as a communal tooth brush?

7 Likes

is that you with the seat?

1 Like

Am I about to discover I’ve been doing something horrifyingly unhygienic all my life? One of our toilet brushes is in its container - but the container has a small drainage hole in the bottom, so I don’t see how that’s any different in principle from just hanging the brush up. And anyway, I hang it up to dry before putting it in that container. The brush in the other bathroom is on a hook behind the toilet. Both brushes get cleaned (probably not well enough) before being hung up to dry after use.

Is it common to keep the brush in a container of bleach or something? (No way I’d do that given my cats’ idiotic enthusiasm for drinking anything they’re not supposed to drink.)

Clean the toilet, wash the brush, hang the brush up to dry before putting it back into its receptacle … in public areas that toilet should perhaps be getting cleaned often enough that the brush never has a chance to thoroughly dry. I’m not sure what else should be done, except storing the toilet brush somewhere else. But if you do that you’ve likely got a wet toilet brush dripping a trail behind it.

2 Likes

If it doesn’t rain it’s just going to be stuck in the sewer system.

In other countries the receptacle for the toilet brush is impermeable. It usually sits in whatever water is picked up from the brushing operation, and sits there to fester. But at least it is festering in a container, away from the floor to be taken into the rest of the building.

Until they pick it up deciding to brush the bowl, dripping allover, and the seat.

1 Like

What upset me the most is in Madeira, people shit in the woods along the hiking trails. No big deal, shit is shit, but the fuckers have brought toilet paper, wiped their arse and left that in the woods!

That particular route was only a 5km hike anyway, for fuck sake.

That’s why Madeira wine tastes sooo good.

3 Likes

bleach isn’t effective after a pretty short time. Even if it still smells like bleach, it’s mostly just water after a few hours

1 Like

Fuck, I laughed out loud at that! My big boy would drink urine, vodka and cyanide if you chucked it on the floor.

1 Like

my dad would always jokingly say, “have another Madeira, myyy dearrr”.

I’ve never been to a 7-11 washroom after 5 years in Taiwan but what were you expecting? Have you tried to enter a 7-11 washroom in Oakland, California or the Burger King washroom at Spadina in Toronto where the homeless camp for 4 hours and inject drugs, leave needles on the ground, shit everywhere on the floor, walls, etc?

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s true - despite “horrifying” the OP, a hanging toilet brush probably doesn’t rank as particularly high on the global scale of public toilet grimness…

Seems a pretty minor thing to complain about, IMO.

5 Likes

I am pretty sure Loo Directorate does not check Forumosa. Lighten up, it isn’t a complaint, it is banter.

Besides if I hadn’t posted this I wouldn’t have had the laugh @Shaun008’s post gave me.