Toilet Leak - Disgusting!

Ok, this is really gross to post but I really need to vent and get others’ opinion on this. I just rented an apartment and AFTER I signed the lease and gave the guy the deposit, he tells me that SOMETIMES when the people upstairs flush, it goes into our toilet. What the hell?? I haven’t moved in yet so I don’t know what to think or do. Is the plumbing that bad in Taiwan? This is a ritzy highrise building with security and everything. The apartment is spotless and gorgeous. Then he says this. Apparently the pipes are connected in the duplex. So I just get a lovely present every time I need to do my thing? I don’t want to see a floating log in my toilet before I use it. And I can’t even imagine what happens if someone gets diarrhea! I don’t think I misunderstood him…

Unless your upstairs neighbors have gravity-defying turds, no alien logs are going to be appearing in your toilet.

Sounds like someone is having a joke at your expense.

Either he’s joking or you need to move out asap. Forget about being disgusted. Improper toilet column sealing can bring you all kinds of problems, from nasty smell, to vapors directly from the sewers to diseases (a WHO report just found out that’s exactly how SARS spread in an apt building in HK: one of the first carriers had diarrhea and the building had poor toilet water column sealing).

I am not trying to scare you, but that really would be a major hygienic problem.