Toilet plumbing in Taiwan

I think they could encourage the installation of macerators to chomp up the paper. It would save on garbage and it’s got to be more hygienic.

An interior decorator friend once told me Kleenex TP is the best brand to get to prevent clogging (it’ll just dissolve), and that one should stay away from the no-name brands if you intend to flush it.

in case it hasnt been said (i didnt read page 2).

majority of smaller buildings (ie not apartment, commercial complexes etc) use a septic type system but without a septic field.

like in north America they are either concrete or plastic containers, but here they might only be a simple single barrel tub, instead of a tank with a partition. things is they are under the house, often directly under the toilet(s).

so the thing with septic tanks is over time the bacteria only breaksdown so much and the hard stuff accumulates in the bottom and come sup, and you need it pumped. that is slightly more mafen to do here, what with the shit pumper having to actually run shit tubes inside your home and all. so i think people here generally really dislike it needing to be done, and hence no paper down the shitter.

its pretty common island wide though. i remember when my wife, then girlfriend, first moved into me and my buddies place back in canada and he came to me very serious and in private asking if my girlfriend was shitting in the garbage can. we didnt even figure it out until i had lived here for a few years and it all came together.

generally speaking , in Taiwan, it has nothing to do with tissue causing problems in pipes…its not wanting to pump it and/or not wanting to see it getting flushed out directly into the ditch. Taiwan septic field literally = ditch, which flows into rivers etc.

I would think (hope) that apartments and malls etc would have their own treatment or be hooked up to some kind of city treatment system?

aside from lack of land, septic fields and torrential rains probably wouldnt work well. but due to everything already being farm more contaminated with far worse things than feces, it would probably still be an improvement for those with a yard not yet covered in concrete.

Link please.

On the contrary, on a recent visit, my mother in law stuffed my toilet tissue cupboard with a bunch of cheapskate tissue, and it was much thinner and more water soluble than the good brands. It also feels like you are wiping your tender bits with sandpaper. :fume:

Just curious, we’re now in 2018. Is it still common not to flush toilet paper down the toilet in Taiwan in the fear that it will clog the plumbing? So you throw away the shit stained paper into a trash can/waste basket next to the toilet?

still common.
Sometimes not good in older buildings or where the water/flush pressure is not strong.
In any public restroom or public place, I would flush it (unless there is a specific sign stating not to), but in people’s private homes it usually depends on if you see a waste basket right there.

thanks for the update. IMO, its become such an ingrained habit that people will still stick to the old practice even when doing their business in plumbing that can totally handle toilet paper. but they just don’t believe it. I’ve actually met people like that. its like a religion - not to flush toilet paper down the toilet.

afraid not. I lived there until recently for 24 years. never a problem.

Totally agree.

Although it is now official government policy to flush the shit-infused paper down the toilet, very little has changed in terms of local habits.

I’ve been here 10yrs. I always through tissue in toilet. never an issue. And I’m a Man that takes some Manly shits.

Old habits need to change.