Tolerance fails T-Shirt test

Girl puts kid’s tolerance levels to test

All this in small little suburb called Oak Park, where I lived on and off between moves from across the country and around the world. Yet, I’m not surprised at all by the reaction that this young girl received. OPers like to believe they are racially diverse, heck, this is the place where Frank Lloyd Wright,Ernest Hemingway, and Percy Julian all lived or grew up, but that isn’t necessarily the case.

Sad. Shame on them for their radical prejudices and hatred :no-no: . Maybe she could sue the district for allowing her to be the victim of hate crimes. :fume:

You tell ‘em, sweetie.
That, plus the big ol’ grin:

cracked me up.

Pretty gutsy kid.
Were I a white liberal, I would be so embarrassed…

She was attacked by 8th graders. 8th graders are hardly known for being mature and responsible (although her experiment proved they can be politically astute).

And a teacher.

Tolerance? Or acceptance? Why should people accept secondrate ideas or the people who promote them? Ridicule and scorn are excessive perhaps, but that doesn’t mean those kids are racist. Maybe some of them think that the Republican platform was inferior to the Democratic one. We express our preferences for the best, and our contempt for the worst in every aspect of life, why should ideas and the people who represent them be treated any differently?

I can tolerate anyone as long as they agree with me.

I find that intolerable.

Bias, like T-shirt, pick out at home. Follow up to T-shirt story

[quote]Since many liberal journalists live in Oak Park, I expect to receive many snarky reviews. My crime? I dared to illustrate, through the actions of a brave 8th-grade girl, that even high-minded liberal communities can be intolerant, no matter how many times parents gush on about “diversity” at their cocktail parties.

So much for the audacity of hope.

But it’s also true that if Catherine lived in a beet-red community and wore an Obama shirt, she’d get a similar negative, intolerant and ugly reaction. And certainly some Republican children would outrage their grammar/lit teachers by wanting her crucifixed as well.

All such outrage is predictable. Whether red or blue or right or left, many adults don’t get it. But Catherine Vogt sure gets it: Children learn their politics from their parents[/quote]

I find that intolerable.[/quote]

I disagree.

I find that intolerable.[/quote]

I disagree.[/quote]

Please! [color=#0000BF] People, be nice. The level of open hostility and aggression in this thread is driving me mad.[/color] [color=#BF80FF]Can’t we all be friends? [/color]
:rainbow:

:wink:

HTFU you blouse.

It seemed to me that it wasn’t about the policies or ideas, it was about which group you belonged to; who was in the in-crowd. How shocking that politics should ever come down to that. :laughing:

Luckily, we’re totally above that kind of cliqueyness on Forumosa.

I don’t know when the last time any of you guys were actually in a classroom, high school or college, but the way you just brush this off is ridiculous. The entire Academic establishment is vehemently anti-anything Republican, and they let you know it. Seeing the way this girl was treated is nothing. The best line in the whole article was when they say wait til she gets to college. There is nothing more difficult in The US than to be an independent thinker on a college campus. There is nothing easier than to be a part of the flock and go with whatever the left says is good. And when you are not a part of the flock, dictated by the powers that be, you are a target. And the left is merciless with their targets.

Oh, the whole world hates republicans; democrats are so mean, boo hoo hoo. :cry:

Obama election spurs race crimes around country

[quote]* In a Maine convenience store, an Associated Press reporter saw a sign inviting customers to join a [color=#BF0000]betting pool on when Obama might fall victim to an assassin[/color]. The sign solicited $1 entries into “The Osama Obama Shotgun Pool,” saying the money would go to the person picking the date closest to when Obama was attacked. “[color=#BF0000]Let’s hope we have a winner[/color].”

• In Idaho, the Secret Service is investigating a “public hanging” sign erected by a man upset with the election outcome, the Bonner County Daily Bee reported Thursday. A handmade sign posted on a tree reads [color=#BF0000]“FREE PUBLIC HANGING” written in large letters beneath a noose fashioned from nylon rope. The most prominent name on the sign is “OBAMA,” [/color]according to the Bee. “That’s a political statement. They can call it whatever they want, a threat or whatever,” the creator of the sign, Ken Germana, told the Bee.

• A popular [color=#BF0000]white supremacist Web sites got more than 2,000 new members the day after the election[/color], compared with 91 new members on Election Day. The site, stormfront.org, was temporarily off-line on Nov. 5 because of the overwhelming amount of activity it received. One poster, identified as Dalderian Germanicus, of North Las Vegas, said, [color=#BF0000]“I want the SOB laid out in a box [/color]to see how ‘messiahs’ come to rest.”

• From the Orange County (Ca.) Register: “Two gang members pleaded not guilty Thursday to hate crime and attempted robbery charges in connection with the [color=#BF0000]beating of a black man [/color]who was trying to buy cigarettes at a Fullerton liquor store.” The two men [color=#BF0000]shouted racial and anti-Obama epithets in the attack. [/color]

• From today’s New York Times: “Two white Staten Island men face hate crimes charges after they were arrested on Friday in the [color=#BF0000]beating of a black teenager on the night that Barack Obama was elected president[/color], the police said on Saturday. The teenager, Alie Kamara, 17, was walking home on Pine Place in the Staten Island neighborhood of Stapleton when several men [color=#BF0000]hit him on the head with a baseball bat and yelled ‘Obama,’ [/color]said Aliya Latif, the civil rights director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, who was in contact with Alie’s family since the attack and spoke to his mother on Saturday after the arrests were announced.”

• In Mississippi alone, the American Civil Liberties Union has received more than 10 calls since the staff first reported anti-Obama incidents last Friday, according to the Jackson (Miss.) Free Press.

• In Midland, Mich., a [color=#BF0000]man dressed in full Ku Klux Klan regalia walked around toting a handgun and waving an American flag[/color]. Initially denying it, the man eventually admitted to police that the display was a [color=#BF0000]reaction to the Obama victory[/color]. “[The man] had a concealed weapon permit and was walking up and down the sidewalk in front of a vehicle dealership while some motorists shouted obscenities at him and others shouted accolades,” police told The Saginaw News.

• Parents in Rexburg, Idaho, contacted school officials this week after they learned that [color=#BF0000]2nd and 3rd graders on a school bus were chanting, “Assasssinate Obama!”[/color]

• At the University of Texas in Austin, a racist post on Facebook has cost one student his place on the university football team, according to the Houston Chronicle. Buck Burnette, a sophomore offensive lineman for the fourth-ranked Texas Longhorns, was dismissed from the team on Nov. 5 after posting a racist remark about President-elect Obama as his “status” on the social networking Web site. Burnette posted:[color=#BF0000] “All the hunters gather up, we have a [slur] in the White House,”[/color] the Chronicle reported.

• AP reports: “While the world watched a Grant Park celebration heralding the election of the first black U.S. president, some [color=#BF0000]white Chicago police officers committed hate crimes against black residents cheering Barack Obama’s victory [/color]elsewhere in the city, attorneys alleged Thursday.” Lawsuits have been filed.

• At Appalachian State University, the administration has expressed disappointment at the [color=#BF0000]numerous times black students have expressed being harassed in residence halls since the election[/color]. The Appalachian, a student newspaper serving the university, also reported conversations suggesting Obama may not be alive in 2009 and a [color=#BF0000]t-shirt seen around campus that reads “Obama '08, Biden '09.” [/color]

• Mentioned in the same article, racist comments were discovered at North Carolina State University last week. [color=#BF0000]Spray-painted in university’s free expression tunnel after the election were the phrases, “Kill that n…” and “Shoot Obama,” [/color]the Appalachian reported. The NAACP has called for the expulsion of the four students accused of the graffitti, the Associated Press reported Thursday.

• The Associated Press revealed on Wednesday, “Police on eastern Long Island are investigating reports that [color=#BF0000]more than a dozen cars were spray painted with racist graffiti, reportedly including a message targeting President-elect Barack Obama[/color]. The graffiti included racist slurs and sexually graphic references. At least one resident in the quiet Mastic neighborhood told Newsday her son’s car was scribbled with a message threatening to kill Obama.”

• Employees at Hampel’s Key and Lockshop in Traverse City, Michigan, [color=#BF0000]flew an American flag upside down[/color] last Wednesday protesting of the new president-elect, the Traverse City Record-Eagle reported. One worker used a racial slur during an interview with the Record-Eagle: “(The inverted flag is) an international signal for distress and [color=#BF0000]we feel our country is in distress because the n----- got in,” [/color]said Hampel’s employee Rod Nyland, who later apologized for the comment, according to the Record-Eagle.

• Authorities in Temecula, Calif., found [color=#BF0000]spray-painted graffiti on a city sidewalk containing a swastika and anti-Obama slogan.[/color] And from the Los Angeles Times: “Vandals [color=#BF0000]spray-painted swastikas and racial slurs on a house and several cars in Torrance that displayed campaign signs or bumper stickers for President-elect Barack Obama[/color], authorities said Tuesday. The incidents occurred Saturday night in the Hollywood Riviera section of the city, said Sgt. Bernard Anderson. Four separate incidents were reported the next day, he said. No arrests have been made.”

• And from Maine: “More than 75 people rallied Sunday against an incident last week in which [color=#BF0000]black figures were hanged by nooses from trees on Mount Desert Island the day after Barack Obama won [/color]the presidential election,” according to the Bangor Daily News. [/quote]

Just one of many links to the scores of racist threats against Obama and his supporters.

On the West side of Chicago. One of those lawsuits involve two women who were in a car when cops pulled up beside them and pepper sprayed them. The CPD is downplaying the incidents, by repeating that all went well. :unamused: Let’s remember people that this is the city that allowed Jon Burge to live on his pension for years and it took a federal grand jury to do what Daley’s corporate council wouldn’t do.

Sounds like that was just one of the abusive, racist incidents by Chicago police following the electoin.

[quote]A lawsuit asserts that some white Chicago police officers committed hate crimes against a black family cheering Barack Obama’s victory last week at their home on the city’s West Side. The suit says several officers discharged pepper spray near members of the family celebrating outside. After some of the family members fled into the home, the officers battered down the front door, and shouted racial insults before leaving, according to the suit. The eight plaintiffs are seeking $50,000 in damages.

Another suit filed last week says a black couple, Christina Ballard and Cornelius Voss, were driving home in Chicago with family members on election night when white officers drove alongside their vehicle. That lawsuit says that after some of the children cheered for Mr. Obama through the open car windows, the officers discharged pepper spray and yelled “white power” and a racial slur[/quote]
nytimes.com/2008/11/14/us/14 … V_BRF.html

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Sounds like that was just one of the abusive, racist incidents by Chicago police following the electoin.
[/quote]

Naw, that’s just a warm up before hitting the bar scene.

It reminds me of this

youtube.com/watch?v=kDEAYgm0Dv8