Tom Tom Taiwan maps on iPhone?

I currently use an HTC Touch Cruise with TomTom Navigator 6 for navigation and to present a database of cameras on the roads. I am looking to switch this device out for a 3GS iPhone. I see that TomTom advertises an app for the iPhone, though it doesn’t list Taiwan as a market where it’s available. So, a few questions.

Is the TomTom app currently available for Taiwan?
Are maps even available?
Will an app from another market run on the iPhone sold in Taiwan?
Can the maps for WM6.* run on the iPhone? (probably not, but worth asking)
Is it going to be possible to transfer my own POIs from the HTC to the iPhone?

I do not want to use any nav system that requires a constant 3G connection to stream maps to the device. I have tried using Google Maps on my HTC and the 3G connection always seems to fail at some critical moment. I like TomTom’s interface and the fact that the maps are stored on the device, with no need to keep a data connection active.

Decision time bump.

if you still have ur android phone, the newest google maps navigation app locally stores your route. this is the update a few weeks ago with buzz functionality, the better 3d drawing (it’s like a video game!), and really damn good streetview when you get close.

you will lose the map redraw when you momentarily lose 3g, but it comes back pretty quickly once the connection comes back. however, the route instructions keep going.

used this in tahoe and back towards silicon valley on a back road-route through kirkwood just a few weeks ago where 3g was spotty at best. worked well. so should work great in taiwan where the coverage is way better.

try that, it’s free, low risk if it doesn’t work out.

:2cents:
Hold onto your HTC a couple more months… Apple updates the iPhone annually and there’s a 98% chance that an iPhone 4G will be released in June with true GPS, better processor/memory/battery/cheaper/blah blah blah… If TW drags it’s feet on the release you can always get an unlocked one in HKG the day Apple drops it…

On the camera data, you should be able to pull the data out convert the format and use it in whatever nav software you end up with, especially if the data is in a .CSV format.

Did you add the cameras though the nav application itself? or import them into the nav application from raw data?

I love Google Maps 4.0 on Android. It is bar none the best GMaps mobile implementation. A shame that the turn-by-turn Navigation is US-only still, but the 2D mapping is still great. Only caveat is a dataplan is pretty much required. No concern for some, major showstopper for others.

That said, the OP said he has a HTC Touch Cruise, which is not an Android device.

[quote=“nivek”]On the camera data, you should be able to pull the data out convert the format and use it in whatever nav software you end up with, especially if the data is in a .CSV format.

Did you add the cameras though the nav application itself? or import them into the nav application from raw data?[/quote]

I download the camera data in .ov2 format, which is native POI file for TomTom Navigator. I just don’t know if TTN for iPhone uses the same format.
I was able to download a zip file with apparently a TomTom app for the iPhone. It has an .ipa file format. I will see if I can load it to the phone via iTunes. I really, really hate iTunes. :fume:

What I heard is that the 4G will be cheaper, because it will have less power and less features. In any case, it’s not that I want this device. I was balking at the nav app and my company insisted I have one to help with testing and developing apps for products we are working on, so they gave up waiting for me to pull the trigger and bought me one. :blush: Even I don’t like the thing I have no choice but to lug it around and get used to it.

Correct. Some guys were trying to hack a rom together to run Android on the Polaris (Touch Cruise) but I think they gave up when the native devices came out.

[quote=“redwagon”]

What I heard is that the 4G will be cheaper, because it will have less power and less features. In any case, it’s not that I want this device. I was balking at the nav app and my company insisted I have one to help with testing and developing apps for products we are working on, so they gave up waiting for me to pull the trigger and bought me one. :blush: Even I don’t like the thing I have no choice but to lug it around and get used to it.[/quote]

Nah, but yeh, but nah, “word” is there will be an entry level model that’s rock bottom priced with features to match, but the current 3GS will be roundly surpassed in all areas of performance and specification by the comparable model 4G… Forced obsolescence doesn’t work unless you make last year’s model obsolete after all, and Apple doesn’t f*ck with the basics…

Palm OS 1.0-5.2 (1996–): Install app from any source you like, no censorship
Windows CE, Pocket PC, Windows Mobile (1996–): Install app from any source you like, no censorship
Blackberry OS (2000ish–): Install app from any source you like, no censorship
Symbian (2000, but earlier if counting PSION): Install app from any source you like, no censorship
Android (2008–): Install app from any source you like, no censorship

iPhone OS (2007–): Oops.

Palm OS 1.0-5.2 (1996–): Install app from any source you like, no censorship
Windows CE, Pocket PC, Windows Mobile (1996–): Install app from any source you like, no censorship
Blackberry OS (2000ish–): Install app from any source you like, no censorship
Symbian (2000, but earlier if counting PSION): Install app from any source you like, no censorship
Android (2008–): Install app from any source you like, no censorship

iPhone OS (2007–): Oops.[/quote]
Obviously I will have to jailbreak the phone in order to install the seemingly unauthorized TomTom app I downloaded. Stupid Apple. :unamused: Funny how they have in some ways become more controlling and annoying than Microsoft.

Its not funny, it is sad. Apple is the worst thing that could happen to the internet.

So yeah, still waiting on this. In the meantime I have my HTC now with no SIM card, working as a standalone GPS, and use my iPhone for everything else. Stupid.

TomTom, hurry the f**k up!!