Tommy's story

[quote=“superking”][quote=“Ermintrude”]SF looks really nice. I’ve never been to the US.

It’s good to be a tourist in your own town, sometimes.[/quote]

The water stinks and there are loads of hills. And there are lots of hipster douchebags there. The stinking rose is a good restaurant and ‘bush man’ is funny though. Also some nice parks.#

The roads are longer than you think, too.[/quote]

Like England, then.

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“superking”][quote=“Ermintrude”]SF looks really nice. I’ve never been to the US.

It’s good to be a tourist in your own town, sometimes.[/quote]

The water stinks and there are loads of hills. And there are lots of hipster douchebags there. The stinking rose is a good restaurant and ‘bush man’ is funny though. Also some nice parks.#

The roads are longer than you think, too.[/quote]

Like England, then.[/quote]

No, English people are openly miserable and rude. San Franners are only like this in secret.

tommy,

I think that your instincts have served you well, they’ve certainly led you to a wonderful partner, so I recommend following them now. If it helps, here is my wedding story.

Mrs. Gao and I were engaged at 19, during our freshman year of college. We had originally planned to get married after graduation, but toward the end of our junior year, I received a scholarship offer from NTNU, and we didn’t want to be apart. We also decided that we wanted to arrive in Taiwan as man and wife. That caused tensions with her family that I won’t get in to, but we didn’t have the money for a big wedding anyways. So, we went down to the courthouse and asked what we needed to do to get married. The court clerk said that Texan law required we wait for 48 hours, pay 40 dollars, and a judge would be available. So we booked the judge for 48 hours from that moment, paid the 40 dollars, then went to the mall and bought two simple, matching gold wedding bands. It was so exciting, we were giddy as schoolkids. Well technically, we were schoolkids. After we got our rings, we went to our favorite Chinese restaurant, chatted with the owner and showed off our rings (which we naughtily wore before the wedding).

Two days later, we showed up at the courthouse with two of our friends and my mom. I wore slacks and a sports coat, and Mrs. Gao wore a beautiful, flowery dress. The judge had a kind face and gentle manner, and he married us right there before God and witnesses. It was the best day of my life.

Awesome story Gao Bohan. Thanks for sharing !

I actually feel a bit of the fear of marriage jitters, believe it or not. Shouldn’t right? My first one I felt kind of railroaded into it. Her and I fought constantly so we thought Marriage would make us ONE. Simply put …NO. It was a nightmare . It’s taken a long time for the fear of being married to a sourpuss to subside. Now my second time up to bat and its likely my last time up to bat… for marriage. I’m certainly game for it and she’s braver then me. I just hope I am at least half the man I think I am and will make it work. So far , I am the only person who can stand me long term. I just hope she can stand me for the distance. :slight_smile:

It was fun yesterday as we were not the only people there. There was a young couple from one of the 'stans we think. They seem to be speaking Russian, both of them. My fiancee, who was paying attention to them standing next to us was the one who said they were from one of the 'stans. As they were speaking (what appeared to us) to be Russian and the bride’s father’s first name is Mohammad. Thus indicating her father is Muslim. So , therefore, the guess is, she at least , is likely from one of the Muslim parts of the former Soviet Union? Just a guess. She was paying attention to them, while I was sorting out the paperwork.

My fiancee , like many Indonesians, only has one name. That is, no last name. And on her Indo passport they put her as FNU (first name unknown) and then her first name as her last name. This creates all sorts of issues. I was going to have her take my last name so she will finally have a First and a Last name. But no, because she technically would lose her last name when she takes mine, so she will then still be FNU and then my last name. Her real First (and only) name will then officially be gone and she will then be technically FNU and my last name. NOt solving the problem.

And we have to decide right there what to do, it seemed. So i thought best to just keep things as they are. No name change. Luckily there is a mechanism whereby we can put her last name (what is really her First name) as her middle name and then she takes my last name as her last name. But then technically she will still be FNU, then her middle name (which is really her last name) and my last name.

And i wonder how messy this will be on her green card when she shows up back to America and she now has a passport name different from her Green Card name?

Its a right mess ! So finally the bright clerk there (both of them were young ladies and very pleasant) suggested we take that as an option but make no changes now. We can always use that option five to ten years or longer down the line should we wish. Otherwise, if we don’t take that option, we would have to appear before a judge to make any name changes.

Note to Indonesians: PLEASE give your children a First and a Last name. We in the western world do NOT understand having only ONE name. Its a mess with paperwork.

Its a mess just booking a flight ONLINE as well. I had to call EVA up and the girl there said to put MS as her first name and , what is her real First name but listed on her passport as her Surname , as her Surname. So we did that and it worked. But get this. EVA’s mileage card, which we signed her up for then put her card name as MS MS (surname). So her flights over didn’t get credited automatically. And we are supposed to phone them up after each flight and have them credit her flights manually. So that reminds me , I have yet to do that. I do want her to get the mileage credit as eventually after a few flights back to INDO , she will build up some sort of Upgrade possibly?

[quote=“tommy525”]Note to Indonesians: PLEASE give your children a First and a Last name. We in the western world do NOT understand having only ONE name. Its a mess with paperwork.[/quote]You can call your child Tommy526.

First name Tommy and last name 526? Ha, I suppose one day our kids may all be known by a number rather then a name then?

I don’t want to start a dynasty though.

But i may name my son Tommy , if I get one?

What if its a she? Well how bout Tammy?

Maybe Tommy and Tammy if we get a boy and a girl?

stardate…20131012…

3 weeks in and she’s settling in at a good clip. Shes been to san fran a number of times, as well as small towns around our burb. And now can progress at her own speed to stores around our apt complex. Heads out to burger king and starbucks on her own.

Went twice to Brenden theatres in Concord. Will go to P.Hill and W.Creek Century theatres later on (they are nicer, but 2 bucks/person more).

Saw Gravity the other day and saw CAPTAIN PHILLIPS tonight. Both were good, but honestly the latter was much better. Had a lot more extras. Excellent acting. Tom Hanks is NOT ever in a bad movie is he?

Recommend you see the flick. Its worth it.

8.75 /person but the popcorn and the soft drink is where the movie house really makes their money. They got us for a medium pepsi and a small popcorn (small here is LARGE in Taiwan, Large will be HUGE ) for 10.50

She’s cooking up great indo dishes every nite. Which is a great thing really.

Had crab down at fishermens wharf for 20 bucks a pound just dumped in water. Got one dungeness at 99 market yesterday for 5.99 a pound (bout 11 bucks for it). She cooked it padang style (with the padang style pack from 99 ranch for 3.50 a go).

[/URL]

stardate 20131015

The countdown gets closer to the signing ceremony (simple as it may be). Have rustled together two of my buds for witnesses.

Just think of the MILLIONS of dollars saved by having such a simple exercise of the pen?

Me thinks a big wedding does not guarantee a successful marriage anyways, even if one was compelled to spend the money, or had the money to be compelled’

I may , one day, get around to getting some sort of a ceremony. If anything it would be unfair of the bride to never wear a wedding dress? Even if , after the appearance in front of a judge we go to Vegas in a coupla months to wear that tux and she that dress and pose with Elvis and who else? Madonna?

Ok , we went down to Walmart tonight right near closing to pick up some whiskas treats for cats (they got em for 1.76 a pack instead of 2.76 a pack at supermarkets). And we thought we would look at some bands for our signing tomorrow. No time to research nice rings. Just a coupla bands of ten K gold will do for now.

But yeah, shopping for bands at Walmart has got to be THE MOST classless out there , admittedly.

The experience was certainly not Nordstrom, not to mention Tiffany. It was not Macy’s even, let’s face it, it was not even TARGET like.

First there is nobody there at the counter. My girl went to look for someone and they paged for the lady who worked the counter to show up. She did, but no sooner did we have her attention when this big burly Russian (or other Eastern European) guy started asking, then DEMANDING service. She said to him that she was busy with us. He was not having any of it. Demanding to be HELPED RIGHT NOW.

I have not seen such a rude person in awhile. But then , i digress, i AM at Walmart. Which is THE lowest denominator of shopping possible in the Western World.

Although the family that own Walmart are THE richest family on the PLANET EARTH.

Shopping and Shoppers at Walmart are truly a class of their own in their lack of class and any sort of decorum whatsoever. Let’s not accuse anyone of having any manners now. I told the guy to wait, as we had to . And he got pissed at me , saying he was not talking to ME. I honestly was afraid he was going to meet up with us in the parking lot afterwards. In such situs, i would rather not be with my baby.

Kind of ruined the experience for us. We just wanted to get another quick thing off our list and get those cat crackers.

Friend drove half way down from Lake Tahoe to witness our signing tomorrow. And he came over to sample her Indo cooking tonight. So left us no time to head to the mall to pick up a couple of bands.

So thats why we ended up at Walmart at 1030pm. 30 mins till closing.

And alright, i will admit i am pretty cheap anyways. :slight_smile: Chirpy Cheep Cheep CHEAP !!!

And yes she went off to bed already. Leaving me to haunt the corridors of forumosa for a bit. But she didn’t seem unduly miffed at my level of cheaposity.

Did I hear someone whisper cheap? YEah, I am …truly. World class CHEAP .

Alright just a little footnote. Tomorrow we are signing on the dotted line. I don’t suppose there will be any mishap. Its pretty simple so should be fine. 11 o’clock me and the missus shall be dressed up a bit. Me in my best suit and she in her dress of some sort.

My friends will arrive and we will head down to Martinez to have a bit of a lunch. And two thirty will present ourselves in front of HIs Honor and sign documents officializing ourselves as an entity.

Then my brother and his wife will treat us to dinner at the Beach Chalet in SF. A nice if overpriced , restaurant on the beach at Ocean Beach in SF.

Should be fun.

Then we will apply for the Green Card. Which can take anything from a few months to two years apparently. Which is something like 1070 dollars for the ap.

ONe good thing. There is a price break. Used to be , had to pay bout 380 for the permission to work application. And also had to pay bout 350 for the right to re-enter the country after leaving the USA (not guaranteed by law, but virtually guranteed in practice). But seems there has been a change in our favor.

Apply for the green card, the permission to work and the advance parole (ability to leave the USa and return) all at one time and apparently the latter two become free.

Since the Green Card requires no permission to be given, it should just be a matter of waiting. Should not be any undue frustrations there, I hope anyways.

So this should conclude this particular thread. Because in essence it is a FAIT ACCOMPLI.

The mission (and this thread) will have successfully concluded.

The next chapter will deal with married life. Of one Taiwanese American and one Indonesian. Both strangers in a strange land called the United States of America.

Congrats again, Tommy! I think this thread may have more life in it, but it’s your call.

As for keepin’ it real (cheap), I suggest playing plenty of Extreme Cheapskate videos around the house. That lowers the bar and makes a normal cheapskate (you or me) look like a big spender. Watch a few hours of the following:

Then take your lady out to the Doggy Diner; she’ll think you’re some extravagant spendthrift. Later, on the walk home, stop by Mickey D’s for an ice cream cone (Each?! :discodance: ); you’'ll look like a big spender compared to those around you (assuming you avoid normal people and stick to Extreme-Cheapskate-video friends).

If you screw up that toothpaste recipe, the dental bill will be much more than the money saved.

Tommy, as long as you two are together, everything else is moot. Just being a couple is priceless. Blessings and have a great day.

Ahh… the comment above was in response to the vid earlier bout the guy who made his own toothpaste. And here I thought it was something profound ?

I thought you were saying, if the marriage doesn’t work, the divorce will cost much more then any money saved from taxes by being married instead of single?? :laughing:

[quote=“zender”]Congrats again, Tommy! I think this thread may have more life in it, but it’s your call.

As for keepin’ it real (cheap), I suggest playing plenty of Extreme Cheapskate videos around the house. That lowers the bar and makes a normal cheapskate (you or me) look like a big spender. Watch a few hours of the following:

Then take your lady out to the Doggy Diner; she’ll think you’re some extravagant spendthrift. Later, on the walk home, stop by Mickey D’s for an ice cream cone (Each?! :discodance: ); you’'ll look like a big spender compared to those around you (assuming you avoid normal people and stick to Extreme-Cheapskate-video friends).

[/quote]

These are seriously hilarious, good post Zender !

Do you know the name of the judge? If it’s Judge Bowen, say hi to him for me. He’s better acquainted with my sister than with me, but I know him quite well. We went to high school together.

Martinez being the seat of Contra Costa County , its courts are filled with criminal cases. That’s the reason perhaps why they have set up this new building at 555 Escobar where they do only three things . Marriages, report of births and report of deaths.

Its a nice place, airy and clean and very very efficient.

Showed up at 2:15pm and was quickly brought to a window where I paid around 94 dollars for the ceremony and two registered copies (at least one is needed for the Green Card application).

Seems to have been three rooms conducting marriages. Two persons officiating the marriages.

Ours was a very pleasant lady. I don’t think she was a judge. She was a county clerk who was empowered to perform marriages. The other person was likely the same.

Went well, cept we had no ring exchange due to not getting it done in time. And I had forgotten about flowers.

We held hands and repeated our vows. I think I choked up a bit. And she had the makings of some tears in her eyes.

I am sure she wanted her mom and dad and her siblings to be there. I didn’t have any of my family present. And it would have been nice too.

But we downplayed it, seeing it as just the official rubber stamp so to speak.

She took comfort in my saying that we will do the traditional ceremony one day in her home island.

My friend from Tahoe was very nice to come and so was my neighbor for being there and being a witness as well.

I bought em a nice lunch prior. Brisket of beef or ribs , washed down with coke and a coffee.

So , well, I am actually married !! Lordy ! Hard to believe.

OH, dinner with bro and his wife at the Beach Chalet went very well. Apparently extra nice that they went there for their first date and also went there after they had their court wedding as well.

They later had a very extravagant part Jewish and part Catholic ceremony at a private club that i went to in a rented tux.

I don’t think I will be doing anything that elaborate sadly.

Congratulations and best wishes to both.

Congratulations!

Congrats :bravo:

Selamat!