Too many questions, not enough contributors

I’ve noticed a huge amount of posters (newbies?) these days just driveby, fire off a question and expect people to help them with their queries without contributing to the community at large. Some even get stroppy when asked to do a search or are simply too lazy to try themselves.

How about splitting the forums somehow so that only people with a certain amount of posts can gain access to parts of it, or who collect enough ‘recognition points’ by their contributions.

I don’t know about you but I’m a long time poster and I’m not getting as much as I used to get out of this forum and online community. Topics are poor and repetitive and not enough meat and potatoes are being brought to the table. It’s rapidly approaching the time when HHII is going to graduate to the blogosphere and sail off into the sunset of Internetland.

I have to agree here as well.
this forum used to be a lot more fun all the way up to about 2010 when many of the people who use to like to have long and meaningful discussions seem to have left. we still have a few left but not to the same extent as before.

now as headhoncho says, there are too many drive by questions from people that will never post again afterward. I agree that a point system might actually be useful.

Tru dat.

So if I come to Taiwan, should I bring underwear?

I am sure I saw a similar post somewhere recently.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]I’ve noticed a huge amount of posters (newbies?) these days just driveby, fire off a question and expect people to help them with their queries without contributing to the community at large. Some even get stroppy when asked to do a search or are simply too lazy to try themselves.

How about splitting the forums somehow so that only people with a certain amount of posts can gain access to parts of it, or who collect enough ‘recognition points’ by their contributions.

I don’t know about you but I’m a long time poster and I’m not getting as much as I used to get out of this forum and online community. Topics are poor and repetitive and not enough meat and potatoes are being brought to the table. It’s rapidly approaching the time when HHII is going to graduate to the blogosphere and sail off into the sunset of Internetland.[/quote]

Yep, a lot of posters could do with making more of a contribution. There are several factors at play I guess. You’re a fellow veteran from 2002 (a fine vintage) so that’s a decade here, and the law of diminishing returns has long since kicked in; we have less to say, and are less likely to come across something of interest. Forumosa is at its best when it merges into real life - meeting up with people offline and the such, and most of us long-termers have already got well developed networks of friends. Another thing is Maoman’s new forum. It has - as bear predicted - diluted things. Although traffic there is relatively light, it has still drawn enough away from this site to make a noticeable difference.

not sure if I agree with a restricted access level by points system. seems too messy a solution.

If we have posters firing off questions that have already been answered elsewhere, don’t answer them or direct them to the search engine. this happens in every forum.

It’s not just that the topics become stale after a while, which is inevitable. But few of new posters seem to have anything to say. Nothing to say…say…say…echoing into the distance :wink:.

I think that the forum itself needs some spicing up with photos, video , twitter or other stuff interacting together. That’s still not the crux of the matter though. Some of it is because people split off. Some of it is because people left. Some because people got banned. But surely there should be some new blood to replace us older over opinionated curmudgeons/alcholic/cynics/deluded fantasists?

…and yes you should bring a coat.

[quote=“bigduke6”]Tru dat.

So if I come to Taiwan, should I bring underwear?

I am sure I saw a similar post somewhere recently.[/quote]

I don’t know if you’re referring to this post. If so, the question asked about bringing long underwear because they had questions about Taipei winters. The poster also mentioned that they’d tried to find answers on their own.

That seems like a perfectly reasonable question for someone who’s never been to Taiwan and who is planning on moving here.

We were all virgins to the Rock at one point. Bring the new pioneers in safely. BTW, do they supply Trojan Magnums on the Island?

No. You will need to bring a ruler to check the size of the local ones.

But this is about right, though. It’s a bit unreasonable moaning that people are asking daft questions when (a) that’s what the forum is for and (b) most people out in the street are daft. You can’t expect the intelligentsia to self-filter and start pitching up on forumosa to discuss Wittgenstein over a virtual brandy. When I came to Taiwan I knew absolutely nothing about the place and I do remember asking people some really stupid questions. Far worse is to make stupid assumptions instead of asking. Also, it’s sometimes the daft posts that throw up some amusing banter. Maybe that’s not what you personally come here for, but others do.

As for searching: yes, they should at least attempt it, but the search facility is pretty poor - it can take ages to manually trawl through unrelated dross to find something relevant. Unless I’ve misunderstood something, the query syntax is far too basic to allow you to narrow down your results. Perhaps we could have a “really recommended” button for posts which actually answer the question and contain new and useful information. The search engine could place these at the top of the results.

As noted, until the mainland invades or one of those Taipower nuclear plants implodes, there’s a finite number of regular topics that can be brought up. The evolution of a 2002 newbie into a grizzled 2012 veteran takes you through most of those scenarios, and pops you out the other side slightly worse for wear, and less willing to entertain newbies who wish to go through everything again.

As also noted, there have been splitters, which includes some long-term posters. Some of these are missed, others less so. They’ve gone to a safe & gated community where there are far less drive-by shootings, but on the flipside the most exciting thread is “What are you eating tonight?”.

I’d also be interested to see demographics. Are fresh-faced 20 somethings arriving on the ROC going to be interested in any sort of traditional online forum?
Aren’t they too busy twittering, facebooking and generally beating the hell out of life?

I must say I find it hard to understand some of the questions that get asked here. But then, like it is said above, that is what this forum is for - finding out information… The search function is a bit sucky. I always did a google search with @ forumosa @ in the search.

Some of the newbies do seem so … self-centred? I dunno. I still can’t belive how people come here without knowing anything and seem cool with letting everyone help them out. I met a guy in the bank the otherday who wanted to find a Western Union cash transfer place. I told him were to find it and he “I don’t know where that [a road] is” … I was just like - err get in a taxi and ask?? He was relying on 2 bank clerks (of a random bank) to translate and understand and find out the locations and give the directions! I was like - ‘have you ever heard of Google?’

Maybe that’s it - ppl are stupid; if they have to ask hahaha

I’ve been told to remember that I knew nothing when I came here. I remember knowing nothing in various places and relying on others to help me. But it just seemed so within the grasp of any ordinary human to at least be grateful when someone answers your question!

You know you’ve been in Taiwan too long when you can’t believe how wet the newbies are?

[quote=“almas john”][quote=“headhonchoII”]I’ve noticed a huge amount of posters (newbies?) these days just driveby, fire off a question and expect people to help them with their queries without contributing to the community at large. Some even get stroppy when asked to do a search or are simply too lazy to try themselves.

I don’t know about you but I’m a long time poster and I’m not getting as much as I used to get out of this forum and online community. Topics are poor and repetitive and not enough meat and potatoes are being brought to the table. It’s rapidly approaching the time when HHII is going to graduate to the blogosphere and sail off into the sunset of Internetland.[/quote]

Yep, a lot of posters could do with making more of a contribution. There are several factors at play I guess. You’re a fellow veteran from 2002 (a fine vintage) so that’s a decade here, and the law of diminishing returns has long since kicked in; we have less to say, and are less likely to come across something of interest. Forumosa is at its best when it merges into real life - meeting up with people offline and the such, and most of us long-termers have already got well developed networks of friends. Another thing is Maoman’s new forum. It has - as bear predicted - diluted things. Although traffic there is relatively light, it has still drawn enough away from this site to make a noticeable difference.[/quote]

thanks for the nod bro’. I have to agree with the OP here. My postings dropped off a heap simply because all I’m seeing are dumb-assed newbie questions. The quality of discourse has taken a nosedive (and no I’m not suggesting it was ever that high). As I’ve said no mans land. How about a members only forum for old disgruntled bastards? Pre-2003 oughta do it and if you was disgruntled enough with a sufficient post count we could waive that requirement.

edit: just noticed my joining date shows July 2003 so I’ve excluded myself from my own exclusive club. :sunglasses: Actually though I think I’m a 1999 vintage under a slightly different name.

How about a questionnaire to determine level of gruntledness?

I think we need a page of stickys to organize the most basic information. this page can then jump to the individual sub-forums, for e.g.

maybe instead of all those fancy labels on your name like Retired President and the such. You can put state of gruntleness , such as :

semi gruntled
half gruntled
fully gruntled

This way you know your/others status in a microsecond?

I mean iv been some sort of buddha in God’s years !

Is it really that hard to just ignore threads based on their titles? Is it so bad that they’re taking up too much space on the list of actives?

yes, and yes. its like trying to read a newspaper with 2 interesting articles and 18 pieces of crud.

I’m on both sides of the coin on this issue. A lot of questions by new posters could be solved by reading a simple web page, like browsing the MOFA site or the Taipei office from their own country. The single most important function I see from this forum is sharing information that is not easy to get or is otherwise not obvious. But an honest question that seems obvious to some of us might not be as obvious as it obviously should be. Sometimes I tell myself I should limit my posts and inquiries to information relevant to being a foreigner living in Taiwan. But my boredom gets the best of me and once again I find myself coming back for the entertainment value. It seems laziness and boredom are the cause of all this drivel

I’m sure if there was sufficient demand, a setting could be added so that a user could have any threads if:

1. It was started by one of The Greys (the new members).
  2. It has less than 10 replies. I say less than 10, because you don’t want to miss out on the odd instances when a big and good newbie thread does hit the Forumosa fan.