Too old?

I’m 40+, Ok? You who know me know that I’m somewhat lying. (I’m much younger than that) I have no trouble finding as much work as I want. Actually, too much. The bottom line is that experience and demeanor count. If your inexperienced and young with green hair, MAYBE you will find some good short term gigs. If your mature and look somewhat “normal” by Taiwanese standards, you will probaly be deemed to have the experience and demeaner that count for something. Dress the part. A suit and tie do wonders. (I hope none of my corporate clients know my name here.) Just look and act professional. But looking the part won’t keep you here very long, especially in this professional enviroment. You really do need to know what you are doing. Teaching experience counts for alot. Showing up every day with the same bag of bullshit wont keep you here in the long term. If you look and act the part, you’ll get the good short-term job. Looking and “teaching” the part will keep you here in the long term. (By the way, if you don’t have the credentials, your in the wrong country)
The bottom line is, that you need not worry about age. Hobble in, roller blade in. If you have the exprerience and demeanor that is demanded, you will have no trouble finding the right employment. (demand and supply - remember that?) That being said, please remember the other things that you have read on this site. I am talking about adult language schools. If your “aged” (damn I hate that) Then look for schools that specialize in adult students. But, keep in mind that all of the above advice still applies.
Just my opinion.

Are you into the Xmas cheer?

Who? Me ? Never! Ok, well maybe a nog or eiggghht.

It sounds more like he’s in some fantasy world. He’s certainly not talking about the Taiwan I know and loathe.

Experience? Credentials? Professional environment?

What do any of those have to do with teaching English in Taiwan?

Every parent knows qualified English teachers are tall, thin, blonde, twenty-something year old white women.

I could tell.

Fuck it. If you want to teach in Taiwan then go. I woudln’t worry about age.

By the way, I’m not in Taiwan. The pay there SUCKS!

Wow! Now I’m really confused!

I have 7 years experience teaching English(Japan) which counts for nothing here, by the way. I have a 4 year degree, but not in Education.

Hey if you’re not in Taiwan because the pay sucks, where the heck are you??

Have any of you guys/gals taught English elsewhere? I’m looking for a new experience, looking to leave Japan and Taiwan seems to offer something new and interesting and also a decent wage.

Cheers for all your replies!

[quote=“tealady”]Wow! Now I’m really confused!

I have 7 years experience teaching English(Japan) which counts for nothing here, by the way. I have a 4 year degree, but not in Education.

Have any of you guys/gals taught English elsewhere? I’m looking for a new experience, looking to leave Japan and Taiwan seems to offer something new and interesting and also a decent wage.

Cheers for all your replies![/quote]

Korea. Pay is good here. But…

You better watchc
You better not cry
You better not pout
I’m telling you why
Severence pay is coming to town

Seriously though, the pay is good here. With you experience you could command 2.2 million Won. There are even jobs out there that pay 4 million less housing (so 3.5). I make about that in the country. If you’re a couple then you can make loads of cash in Korea. Not Taiwan. Check it out.

[quote=“j99l88e77”][quote=“tealady”]Wow! Now I’m really confused!

You better watchc
You better not cry
You better not pout
I’m telling you why

Seriously though, the pay is good here. With you experience you could command 2.2 million Won. There are even jobs out there that pay 4 million less housing (so 3.5). I make about that in the country. If you’re a couple then you can make loads of cash in Korea. Not Taiwan. Check it out.[/quote]

Need a hug?

Merry Christmas.

I think you’ll find work easily if you approach it in the
right way. Find out about the school you’re applying
for and prepare to do what they want.

Doing what your employers want is the key to a happy
working life here, or so it seems.

That isn’t a terrible thing.

Aaaaaaaaaah, there’s the heart of the matter right there! Doing what your employer wants. The problem is employers don’t know what they want.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]Chiayi (Jiayi) is a different story. There are few jobs available here at the moment, and I was just turned down for one (I was told by an inside source) in favour of another foreigner willing to work for 300NT per hour.
I’ve looked for three weeks, and have finally had to accept a position in Taichung. I could have found a position sooner had I looked outside of Chiayi (Jiayi) sooner.[/quote]
Holy crap! I started a job in Chiayi in 1993 at 350NT per hour. By the end of the millenium I was up to about 500NT. I thought wages were steadily going up!

[quote=“porcelainprincess”][quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]Chiayi (Jiayi) (Jiayi) is a different story. There are few jobs available here at the moment, and I was just turned down for one (I was told by an inside source) in favour of another foreigner willing to work for 300NT per hour.
I’ve looked for three weeks, and have finally had to accept a position in Taichung. I could have found a position sooner had I looked outside of Chiayi (Jiayi) (Jiayi) sooner.[/quote]
Holy crap! I started a job in Chiayi (Jiayi) in 1993 at 350NT per hour. By the end of the millenium I was up to about 500NT. I thought wages were steadily going up![/quote]

UPDATE:

This particular foreigner is not a native English speaker.

It will be interesting to find out if he / she is being touted as such.

[quote=“M0NSTER”][quote=“j99l88e77”][quote=“tealady”]Wow! Now I’m really confused!

You better watchc
You better not cry
You better not pout
I’m telling you why

Seriously though, the pay is good here. With you experience you could command 2.2 million Won. There are even jobs out there that pay 4 million less housing (so 3.5). I make about that in the country. If you’re a couple then you can make loads of cash in Korea. Not Taiwan. Check it out.[/quote]

Need a hug?

Merry Christmas.[/quote]

Why would I need a hug? I need a truck to carry my money.

j99l88e77 sounds like someone that got screwed over in Taiwan and is now exacting his “revenge”.

You claim to be making around 4 million won a month in Korea from one job, working legally, and teaching? Where is this job?

In South Korea.

that’s a decent wage, especially since I imagine the cost of living would be much lower than Japan. hmmmmmmm…something to ponder.

How do you like it there? Are you in a big city?
Any websites or info you could pass on would be appreciated.
Really want to leave Japan, by end of March at the latest.
cheers!