Top 10 of what not to miss while in Asia

Taiwan is a convenient base to make trips throughout Asia.
If you were to make top 10 list of places / things one should not miss while in Asia what would it be?

I’m not really big on “must sees” I spent three months in China without getting to The Great Wall (maybe next time) and lived in Taiwan for 6 years before setting foot in Taipei! I can sugest a few highlights though.

Indonesia: Borobodur
Thailand: Sukhothai
Cambodia: The Temples of Angkor
Vietnam: Halong Bay
China: Lhasa, Terracotta Warriors
Laos: …all of it!

http://www.travelsinasia.com

If there’s any one place it would be Angkor.

I would add Hong Kong & Macao to the list.

I love the Philippines. I could easily spend months travelling around there before I’d get bored. Great people, too.

Hokkaido was very nice. Better to do it with your own trasportation though

Beijing
Himalayas
Poontang, Vietnam

Oh spare yourself that trip. It’s such a joke, even to the locals.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“WeiLong”]
China: Terracotta Warriors
[/quote]

Oh spare yourself that trip. It’s such a joke, even to the locals.[/quote]

I beg to differ. Perhaps if you have no appreciation of history this might be the case. Qin Shihuang was a megalamaniac in the truest sense of the word.

“My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”

Ozymandis (Percy Bysshe Shelley)

Do you include the Indian sub-continent when you say Asia?

India is rich in attractions.

One of the best places I have visited in my travels is Sigiriya in Sri Lanka. It is an amazing rock top palace/historical site. Sri Lanka is also notable for its wildlife viewing.

Two places I have never been to but would love to see are Kyoto and Angkor Wat, which would surely be in any well considered top ten.

China also has a huge amount of places to see. One of the less famous, but still very interesting, is the Hakka round houses in the west of Fujian Province. They are well worth a visit.

taoyuan

[quote=“WeiLong”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“WeiLong”]
[/quote]

I beg to differ. Perhaps if you have no appreciation of history this might be the case. Qin Shihuang was a megalamaniac in the truest sense of the word.

“My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”

Ozymandis (Percy Bysshe Shelley)[/quote]

Well, had they covered history in the tour then I could have some appreciation. But watching a video of Clinton visiting a half empty dig site wasn’t educational.

nah…the eighth wonder of the world is sanchung…especially at rush hour on a friday…

just btw angkor wat is now just a flight away from taipei…

FAT is flying direct to Siem Reap daily; went last week 5 days/4 nigths…rreally good value and one ofthe few places that live up to their hype…

In no particular order.

Angkor Wat - Cambodia
Lhasa - Tibet
Kathmandu - Nepal
Khao Preah Vihar - Thailand/Cambodia border
Borobudur - Indonesia
Orangutan sanctuary - Borneo or Sumatra
Varanassi - India
Hampi - India
Rajhastan - India
Annapurnas - Nepal
Bagan - Burma
Kinmen - Taiwan

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“WeiLong”]
[/quote]

Hey girl … because you don’t like porcelain, others might :roflmao:

My thoughts are not organized enough to compile a Top 10, but among my favorite travel memories in Asia are:

Hiking up Gunung Rinjani on Lombok, Indonesia

Varanasi in India, especially getting out on the Ganges early in the morning

Seeing Mount Everest 140 km away while in Darjeeling, India

Horse trekking near Songpan, Sichuan, China

Wandering around the backstreets of Nanjing in China (that was 1997, might be very different now)

In Taiwan, the dang-ki at Nankunshen Temple in Tainan County, and Yanshui Fireworks Festival, also in Tainan County.

Outside of Asia, I’d rate Romania highly (very scenic, very exotic, quite difficult travelling just after Communism collapsed), and also Arizona.

Kashmir and Ladakh-India

Nepal

I suspect few if any of us (myself included) have seen enough of Asia to be qualified to create a top ten list for all of Asia. But highlights of my travels include:

Kyoto - Japan
Angkor Wat - Cambodia
Annapurna Circuit - Nepal
Lhasa - Tibet
Myanmar (Burma)
Halong Bay - Vietnam
Mekong Delta - Vietnam
Luang Prabang - Laos
Bangkok (I know a lot of people badmouth that city, but I love it)
A beach in the Phillipines

and

:bravo:

Cuchi Tunnels
Angkor Wat
Kyoto
Sun Yat Sen’s Tomb at Nanjing
Water front in Phnom Penh
Rush Hour in Ho Chi Minh City
Any large temple in Thailand
Star Ferry and/or the Peak in HK
That cool place with the dumplings in Shanghai

Many have mentioned Angkor Wat. And “the bear” mentioned direct flights from CKS. I am an American. It seems to get a visa to Cambodia is not easy and takes time. Is this still true. It also mentioned you can only go to Angkor in a tourist group. Again is this the case.

Any experiences for Americans ( we seem to always have it tough) getting a visa and visiting Angkor?

Thanks