Top 3 fav sayings Taiwanese like to say

My top 3:

1.天啊!!(tian a)

Always done by girls to express some sort of surprise, even mundane ones.

2.Oh, my god!

I always find it amusing when Taiwanese say this in English to each other, despite the rest of the conversation being in Mandarin.

3.沒有啊 (mei you a)

This always seems to be said with a shy look and a “it can’t be helped” expression.

Jeremy Lin
sky-pee
what’s A-P-P

I bet that’s how Nissan Teana got its name. When the design team came up with the drawing, the boss’s secretary cried out tian a upon seeing it, and the boss just said, yes, that’s what we’ll name it.

deh bu qi

may guan shi

hao hao hao

1. Hao-chi! (while consuming boiled pig shit in a night market)

2. Wei? Wei? Wei? Click! (from any of the dozen or so retards who mis-dial my number every day)

3. But I am a profeshnul! (even when the most cursory inspection of their work reveals they are a total fucking amateur)

1. 沒辦法/mei ban fa. Nothing we can do/nothing I can do/I can’t be arsed/fuck off, you foreign nutcase.
  2. 台灣就是這樣/Tai wan jiu shi zhe yang. That’s the way it is in Taiwan, and always will be until hell freezes over.
  3. Both of the above, combined into the same sentence for additional emphasis.

btw, I wish people WOULD say wei,wei,wei and hang up instead of trying to convince me they have the right number and it’s all MY fault for being the wrong person.

[quote=“Rabidpie”]2.Oh, my god!

I always find it amusing when Taiwanese say this in English to each other, despite the rest of the conversation being in Mandarin.[/quote]
I think you mean, “Oh, my GA!!!” :wink:

1. 這麼樣? I particularly like it when it’s pronounced, “Zhey yang?” on the phone when you call someone.
  2. 真的嗎??? With a look of horror, outrage or utmost surprise.
  3. 噢! 好可憐! That then becomes, “Oh! He is so poor!!”

“You think too much”

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Rabidpie”]2.Oh, my god!

I always find it amusing when Taiwanese say this in English to each other, despite the rest of the conversation being in Mandarin.[/quote]
I think you mean, “Oh, my GA!!!” :wink:

"[/quote]

Exactly! It’s the

“Oh, my GA!!”

I never get tired of that.

This one really annoys me. I tend to hear it whenever I ask detailed questions or try to open up about my thought process a little. I’ll suddenly get a “you think too much” from the person I’m speaking with.

It’s so rude. It’s like their way of saying “shut up” or “you’re strange”.

I do. I’m usually a pretty calm person, but that one makes me want to drag them to the nearest cliff and throw them over. It’s a whole barrelful of inanity compressed into a tiny sentence. If you’re going to blaspheme, at least put the consonant on the end.

I am solly !

San Q !

外國人 !

I’m going to have to split this up
Fav three things to say to me-
1.) “Hello! Hello! Howareyou?!”
2.) “Very beautiful!” which is always paired with “How uh, how many, nigguh, you are how many years?” (thank you fuckers, I realize that you can’t tell my age because I actually have some lines on my face, which my Taiwanese counterparts don’t get till they’re about 50 grrrrr…)
3.) “My English very poor.”

Fav phrases used entirely inappropriately:
1.) “Take it easy!” I’m guessing this has been translated from some common phrase in Chinese that doesn’t sound as patronizing, and I hear it any time I show the slightest degree of excitement or enthusiasm (granted, I’m an excitable person). But every time I hear it I find myself wanting to overturn a table, pound on my chest like a gorilla, then scream at the top of my lungs “How you like me now bitches!” Then at least they’d have reason to use this phrase.
2.) “God bless you.” I always make it a point to tell my students that this is inappropriate if they don’t know the religious preferences of the listener.
3.) “It makes my life very colorful.” Again, I’m sure this is some sort of direct translation from Chinese.

I also get a good deal of giggling. Sometimes just by approaching a desk or counter to ask for something. Giggle giggle giggle.

Yah

Uh-huh

No

So above the thread ‘Are Taiwanese People Racist’ we have these gems ‘How superstitious are people in Taiwan?’ and ‘Top 3 fav sayings Taiwanese like to say’. Yeh.

Oh, my GAA

From my (mostly female) work colleagues:

1. 真的假的 (zhen de jia de)
    “REALLY”? Usually followed by laugher or sound of amazement.

2. 煩呢 (fan neee)
    “So annoying!!!” The nee/niiii bit is usually drawn out, ironically making it irritating to hear.

3. 好 好 好 好 好 好 好好好BYE BYE / (hao…hao…hao…hao.hao.haohaohaohao BYE BYE)
    This seems to be the way to end all telephone calls in Taiwan. The haos get closer and closer, and appears to be a way of saying “please god can we just hang up now?”.

Hao ke ai!

Wo ga li gong (Taiwanese for Im going to tell you something stupid now…)

Fan si le 煩死了 (annoying to death)

怎麼可能? ( how come you f$&ked up again)

[quote=“aphasiac”]3. 好 好 好 好 好 好 好好好BYE BYE / (hao…hao…hao…hao.hao.haohaohaohao BYE BYE)
This seems to be the way to end all telephone calls in Taiwan. The haos get closer and closer, and appears to be a way of saying “please god can we just hang up now?”.[/quote]
:thumbsup:

Even funnier is when they alternate between Mandarin and Taiwanese: “hao, hao, hao… ho, ho, ho… hao, hao, hao, hao… ho, ho, ho… hao hao… ho ho ho ho…”

It’s as if saying it in one language isn’t working as a means of ending the conversation, so maybe trying another language will get the message across.

While also chucking in a few ok lers.