Top 5 most influential horror films

Try Midsommar. In WM, you don’t necessarily know what’s going to happen, but if you do, maybe it’s dull because there’s hardly any mystery left.

In MS, you totally know what’s going to happen, but you don’t know how it’s going to happen.

Each to their own. It’s spooks me out.

1 Like

LOL, too funny. Me too. Some of the Johnny Quest episodes were great. There was an old Muhammed Ali cartoon at one point many years ago too, one episode with some sort of ray-shooting monster/creature totally captured my imagination.

Not enough, unfortunately. I wish it were more influential. Celtic paganism should have spawned far more horror movies than it has.

One exception in my book is Ben Wheatley’s Kill List, which I think is much better than its aggregated review score. Wheatley is kind of an acquired taste, but he also made the very funny, black dark comedy Sightseers, highly recommend. Kill List was definitely influenced by Wicker Man.

eta: Another movie influenced by Wicker Man is Hereditary, especially the final ten minutes. Could be argued that Rosemary’s Baby was a bigger influence, but I think Wicker Man def makes an appearance at the end of Hereditary. The Ritual, too (although it’s more Loki lore than Wicker Man).

1 Like

‘Kill List’ is well worth watching.

I think bojack is the only poster who answered the question re: the most influential films, and his choices are excellent.

And, for no reason at all, I will go off topic and list old black and white movies that are really creepy:

Eyes without a face
Island of lost souls
I walked with a zombie
Bride of Frankenstein
Diabolique
Night of the Hunter
Freaks

Yeah, but they can’t the Carinval of Souls soundtrack! :clown_face: :crazy_face: :dizzy_face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91WxZQ3JLQk

1 Like

Wicker Man was fantastic. As was Witch Finder General although that not really being horror…

1 Like