Top 5 (or so) directors

Great responses. I feel like quoting everyone.

Soddom: Kubrick almost made my list, but I really haven’t seen many of his films. Unlike you though, I love Eyes Wide Shut. Brilliant movie. As to what AI would have been like as a Kubrick film? Well it was never going to be a Kubrick film. That was all bullshit spun by that apalling hack (who’s only ever made one decent film) Spielberg, to try and give that overblown sorry excuse for a movie a little bit of cred. You know I’ve gone and seen 3 Spielberg films now, genuinely expecting this to be a good one after all, and then just getting dissapointed at all. It was only with the last one (in which I was resigned to wathcing another piece of shite) that I was pleasantly surprised. Sorry about the Spielberg rant. Actually I exaggeratred a little - I love the Indiana Jones flicks (1 and 3 at any rate).

Ghettostyle: Yes, Yasujiro Ozu, that’s who I meant. I can never remember his first (or should that be last?) name. Love him to bits. Lars Von Trier. I agree with many of your choices. Brilliant and mad I expect. It was Dancer in the Dark that surprised me the most. I think you’ve got to admire his Dogma 95 thing. I’m really looking forward to this one with Ncole Kidman in it, although with LVT you really half expect that the next one might be complete drivel don’t you. Hey you know what film I suddenly remembered which LVT reminds me of (or the other way round)? Holy Smoke by Jane Campion. Why? Because you’re gripped, but it’s 3/4 of the way into the film and you’re still not sure whether it’s brilliant or complete drivel (brilliant int his case).

Jackburton: yeah, I love Herzog too. I almost included him. Aguirre was amazing, and I really liked a ‘documentary’ he did about the Sahara. You have to admire (or write off as insane) a man who heard a story about an island volcano that was going to erupt and the one man who refused to evacuate, so siad “that’s cool, I’ll go there and film it”. Bergman though. I really liked ‘Smiles of a Summer Night’ and ‘The Seventh Seal’, but then I saw three more that I really didn’t like. Too Northern European or something. John Ford is one fo theose American directors I should really check out. Like westerns as a genre there’s whole areas of film I have yet to explore. Spielberg - arrggh, and Oliver Stone I don’t have much time for either.

Frederika: Yep, those Coen brothers are pretty good I must admit. Hitchock’s good no doubt and a real developer of cinematic style, but too me he’s like ‘Citizen Kane’, what all the critics and theorists love to love, but not really worth quite that much.

Alleycat: [quote]"Wenders: Paris, Texas-The scene where they talk through the one way mirror. "[/quote] - Oooh yeah.

Formosa: Chaplin’s great, Godard’s cool and I’d love to see more of his stuff (seen about 4 I think - and he grows on you), but Truffaut?!? Ouch! Granted ‘The 400 Blows’ is one fot he greatest films ever made (would make my top 5 probably), and I can see why some people might like Jules et Jim, and there’s a couple more that are passable, but he went downhill rapidly from there. Man I watched 17 of his movies trying to fiund another good one (and also as research for an essay), but they just got worse and worse.

Brian

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]

Frederika: Yep, those Coen brothers are pretty good I must admit. Hitchock’s good no doubt and a real developer of cinematic style, but too me he’s like ‘Citizen Kane’, what all the critics and theorists love to love, but not really worth quite that much.

Brian[/quote]

Doubt you’ve seen Hitchcock’s entire repertoire then. Especially the forties flicks such as Shadow of a Doubt, Strangers on a Train, Rope, Lifeboat, Suspicion, and Spellbound. Do so. And then make this comment. Or. Do so in rapid succession and go out and murder someone for fun. Then make this comment.

The Coens have been very influenced by Hitchcockian black humour and style.

His entoire repertoire? God know. The man was a machine - about 60 films. I doubt abyone here’s seen his entire repertoire. But out of the 6 you mentioned I’ve seen the first three. I loved Rope, but than can perhaps be considered (stylistically at least) the most non-Hitchcokian of Hitchcock’s films. No, really there’s a lot of Hitchcock films that I haven’t seen, and I’m sure they’re mostly worth a watch. Just checked imdb.com and actually I think I’ve only seen about 10 of his films (mostly formt he 20s-40s), but still probably enough to get a feel for his style and decide that I much prefer Renoirian style of mise-en-scene. I keep meaning to emphasise that he’s certainly one fo the greats, but just not a personal favorite and I think a little overrated by many (maybe most) film critics and theorists.

Keep the discussions coming. I love it. I’m trying to remember some early French directors I liked. How about Jean Vigo? I love that short film he made and htat other one set ont he river barge. And wassisname - Marcel Carne - I just love that film ‘Les Enfants du paradis’. Melville was great sometimes and apalling at others.

Brian

John Huston …Man Who Would be King
Fellini: just mad! La Dolce Vita…not the thread…8 1/2! Fun! mad!
Richard Brooks …Cat/Hot Tin Roof, In Cold Blood, Elmer Gantry, etc.
Bunuel …studied this piece of genius in college: Discreet Charm of the Bourgoisie (spelling!) wowowowo

John Ford, yeah. The Searchers

Also, Michael Powel the obvious acid tripster of the forties (red shoes, black narcissus)

Can’t forget Almodovar
William Wyler: Ben Hur , Roman Holiday
Woody Allen
Robert Altman
Bob Fosse
Tarantino
Coppola
Capra
Lynch --some may say. and jury is still out for me since he does my head in too much with all the midget and bizarro stuff
Mike Nichols–i LOVE the Graduate. It’s on my top ten list.
Peter Jackson–LOTR nothing to sniff about.
Sydney Pollack
Peter Weir
Jane Campion
and another weirdo, Peter Greenaway.

God, there are too many

i added some anime directors to my list.

on the subject of movies, what were the first couple of movies you remember seeing in the theatres. Me, I was 3 or 4 when I saw the Black Hole. kinda remember the space ship, the two small robots, and the big, evil robots. and then the very end when the bad guys got sucked into the black hole, the evil scientist melded (?) with his evil robot. at least that’s why i saw in my 3-year old mind.

My top five directors with my favorite movies in order of my liking:

1-Jean-Pierre Jeunet (and Marc Caro de temps en temps) - Delicatessen (a must-see), La Destin Fabuleux de Amelie Poulain, La Cite des Enfants Perdus…a true artist of the celluloid canvas
2-Robert Zemeckis - Forrest Gump, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the Back to the Future trilogy, Contact, The Frighteners (although he produced the movie and didn’t actually direct it), Cast Away
3-Mel Brooks - Blazing Saddles, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, History of the World Part I, Young Frankenstein, Spaceballs (“It’s Mega-Maid! She’s gone from suck to blow!”)
4-The Coen Brothers - Raising Arizona, the Hudsucker Proxy, the Big Lebowski, Fargo
5-Terry Gilliam - Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Monty Python’s And Now for Something Completely Different…haven’t seen Brazil yet.

And Honorable Mentions go to…

-Stanley Kubrick - The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
-Blake Edwards - Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Darling Lili, 10, Victor/Victoria, Days of Wine and Roses
-Kevin Smith - Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Chasing Amy, Mallrats, Clerks
-John Waters - Serial Mom, Hairspray, Pink Flamingos, Female Trouble

Soddom: Kubrick almost made my list, but I really haven’t seen many of >his films. Unlike you though, I love Eyes Wide Shut. Brilliant >movie. As to what AI would have been like as a Kubrick film? Well it >was never going to be a Kubrick film. That was all bullshit spun by that >apalling hack (who’s only ever made one decent film) Spielberg, to try >and give that overblown sorry excuse for a movie a little bit of cred.

In reality - AI was going to be a Kubrick film. He had the script to do this film for many years but he was always waiting for the technology so that he could do the film properly. Sadly, he passed on before he could do it. But he did have the script for a good 15 years beforehand.

Like many people,
i also wonder what AI would’ve been liked under Kubrick. The Speilburg movie was fluff and the last 10 minutes of it could’ve been cut.

Anyway, Kubrick does get my vote (because of 2001). Likewise, Sergio Leone is very high up on my list as well. His 3 Spaghetti westerns (fistful of dollars, a few dollars more, the good, the bad and the ugly are incredible movies - very psychological), also his Once upon a time series (once upon in the west and once upon in america) are brilliant films.

oh…and Sam Peckinpaw…Straw Dogs, William Friedkin…Exorcist, To Live and Die in LA, The French Connection and what was the name of that great film with Roy Scheider transporting dynamite thru Africa, Tangerine Dream did the soundtrack??? Oh yeah…Sorcerer

And Fredericka Bimmel…your name sake’s director…Jonathan Demme…for obvious reasons…

And lest we forget Stephen Frears…

I am not a real film buff, but I would like to nominate a couple of directors anyway.

1. Yahoo Serious – sadly under-appreciated comic genius from Australia

2. Ang Lee (aka Li An) – anybody that can direct a Chinese martial arts epic and a Jane Austen film and achieve equally universal critical acclaim must be doing something right.

I nominate Ron Howard for Apollo 13.

And also Rob Reiner for An American President. He is the only director who can turn Stephen King books into decent movies.

Woww, interesting discussion is going on in this thread!!:shock: :wink: My top five picks are:

Wong Kar Wai:[color=darkblue]Chungking Express / Days of being wild / Fallen angels / Ashes of time / Happy together / In the mood for love[/color]

Kim Ki - Duk: [color=darkblue]The isle / The birdcage inn/ Address unknown / Real fiction / Bad guy[/color]

Stanley Kubrick: [color=darkblue]A clockwork orange / 2001: space odyssey / Barry Lyndon / Full metal jacket / Eyes wide-shut[/color]

David Lynch : [color=darkblue]Twin peaks / The elephant man / Blue velvet / Wild at heart / Lost highway / Dune[/color]

Roman Polanski : [color=darkblue]Bitter moon / Death and the maiden / The ninth gate / The pianist
[/color]
As for the baa :smiling_imp: ad-boy Korean director, Kim Ki-duk…he has been eagerly sought after by a number of foreign film festivals since his movie, “Birdcage Inn”. His films are ALWAYS certain to provide striking visuals and huge doses of controversy…Usually after seeing his films, few people are likely to leave the theater without strong feelings FOR or AGAINST them. They often feature unforgettable images, shocking violence, strong and haunting acting, and he’s notorious for logic-defying plot threads.

If I choose only one director who’s my very favorite, that would be “Wong Kar Wai” and as for ONE fave film of mine, it would be
“In the mood for love” directed by him.

Personally, it’s the most beautiful and enchanting movie I’ve ever seen: it’s breathtaking, exquisite, …beauty itself…a MASTERPIECE. Every shot is like a poem and a work of art. I couldn’t help myself from repeating certain scenes again and again just to be sure I hadn’t missed a thing.

“In the Mood for Love” is a story of unrequited love. Rarely did a film have the power to move me the way that this film did. Tony Leung (I once talked with him at his autograph session several years ago in Korea after viewing Wong Kar Wai’s other flick “Happy Together”. :blush: :smiley: ) and Maggie Cheung star as two people whom, at first, are neighbors, and then find out a secret about their spouses - His wife and her husband are both having affairs.

I refuse to give away what happens. You’ll have to rent or buy this film to find out!:sunglasses: Saw this film three times at theaters, twice with DVD and bought a VCD & an OST.

Set with a powerful artistic vision of Hong Kong in the 1960’s, “In the mood for love” depicts heart-aching ‘love moods’ so often neglected in other films. It’s a masterpiece for many reasons.

The cinematographer, Christopher Doyle’s camera puts everything in frame…If you sneak a camera into a theater, and take a pic, any scene could be an art photograph - from raindrops to cigarette smoke, from noodle steams to the images of Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

The acting, the directing, the cinematography, and the music are all awesome - The way individual scenes have been put together, the thoughtful movement of the camera, and the overall detailed and meticulous constructon of the film is simply masterful. It reminded me that film is a powerful tool for expressing things that words cannot.

Check out the official site of the movie :smiley: .

http://www.wkw-inthemoodforlove.com

[quote=“spacegal”]

“In the Mood for Love” is a story of unrequited love. [/quote]

Not exactly. They both loved each other. Unrequited love is when love is not returned by one party. This was ‘unconsumated’ love, if anything. They never ‘got jiggy’ with it.

And I thought the film was rather bleak, albeit the chick wore lovely chi paos with high collars.

I find most Chinese/Taiwanese films and directors too “eyerollingly” melodramatic for my taste. And they try tooo friggin hard to be all clever and artistic. Give me a break!

And Ang Li, even though he makes a variety of films, just isn’t someone who’ll be remembered, IMO. No real panache. Just a mimicker of others. No signature. No flair.

Zhang Yi-mou is the best one if you look at the cinematography, but even his films are a bit over the top emotionally. What is it about this melodrama in Asia anyway?

May I add, I am a Kenneth Branagh fan. He turns classic (but lengthy) stories into digestible movies that don’t sacrifice the integrity or art of their authors. I love what he did with Much Ado About Nothing, Hamlet, Henry V, and Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. For every grade in my high school the honors English class would focus on a Shakespearean play. Ninth grade was Romeo and Juliet. Tenth grade was Julius Caesar. Eleventh grade was A Midsummer’s Night’s Dream. Grade twelve was Much Ado About Nothing which stood out in my mind so strongly because of him. Kenneth is an amazing Shakespearean actor and a very talented director and him running around shirtless with that long flowing hair in Frankenstein…yum, yum! :wink:

fredericka bimmel wrote

[quote]

[quote]spacegal wrote:

“In the Mood for Love” is a story of unrequited love. [/quote]

Not exactly. They both loved each other. Unrequited love is when love is not returned by one party. This was ‘unconsumated’ love, if anything. They never ‘got jiggy’ with it.

And I thought the film was rather bleak, albeit the chick wore lovely chi paos with high collars.

I find most Chinese/Taiwanese films and directors too “eyerollingly” melodramatic for my taste. And they try tooo friggin hard to be all clever and artistic. Give me a break!

And Ang Li, even though he makes a variety of films, just isn’t someone who’ll be remembered, IMO. No real panache. Just a mimicker of others. No signature. No flair.

Zhang Yi-mou is the best one if you look at the cinematography, but even his films are a bit over the top emotionally. What is it about this melodrama in Asia anyway?[/quote]

I thought “unrequited love” ALSO means when meaningful real relationship is not possible, due to difficult situations or harsh/grim reality.

In this film, even though the man and the woman are attracted to each other very strongly, because of rumors and maybe because they did not want to sink down to the level of their spouses who were having an affair…

Anyway, it’s just PERSONALLY my fave flick. :wink: :wink:

Hell, yeah, I also think he’s a very talented actor, imaniOU, haha. He’s like a chameleon -
Loved his amusing :shock: narcissistic acting in Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets…

Is this somehow a reflection on Chinese/Taiwanese culture? I find that is a natural reaction for a lot of Westerners.

In the mood for love. Just fantastic. Tortuously slow buildup of a passion and love that is never consummated. One of my favorites of all time!! I’m still on the edge waiting for them to do something about it.

Another longtime favorite of mine is Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson in The Remains of the Day. Also a beautiful story of unconsummated love, but so tragic in that his stubborn devotion to his official duties was all for naught.

Man, this is so cool. Makes me want to see some of these movies, and see some of them again.

Some mentions I haven’t seen (or not seen enough of):

• Martin Scorsese–“Goodfellas” was the greatest depiction of gangsters (or whatever word you want to use) ever made. Add “Raging Bull”, the “Life Lessons” short from “New York Stories”, “The King of Comedy”, “Mean Streets” and “Taxi Driver”

• Fritz Lang “Metropolis”, “M”,

• Hal Ashby–“The Last Detail”, “Being There”, “Harold and Maude” & “Shampoo”.

• Sydney Pollack–“Tootsie”, “Electric Horseman”, “They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?”, “Jeremiah Johnson”, “The Way We Were”

• Frank Capra–(Hey, the guy invented the Screwball Comedy) “It Happened One Night”, “It’s a Wonderful Life”

Another vote for Billy Wilder and David Lean, too.

And not to get too off topic, but–

What about the great WRITERS?

• Paddy Chayevsky “Network”, “Marty”

• Billy Wilder (again)

• Dalton Trumbo “Roman Holiday”, “Papillon”, “Spartacus”

Kubrick all the way.
Watch Dr. Strangelove (THE best movie EVER) and you will understand.

[quote=“t.ukyo”]Kubrick all the way.
Watch Dr. Strangelove (THE best movie EVER) and you will understand.[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mandrake: You’ve got to believe me. The fate of the whole world is at stake. Look! over there. A Coke machine. Take your carbine and shoot off the lock to the change box.

“Bat” Guano: What? That’s private property!

Mandrake: Colonel… Guano, the fate of the whole world is at stake. Please. Do as I say.

“Bat” Guano: [doubtfully] Well, OK. But listen to me, Mandrake. If you’re not telling the truth – you’ll answer to the Coca Cola company for this!