Top 5 (or so) directors

Legally Blonde 2: Trailer: Official Site
Pirates of the Caribbean: Trailer
Matchstick Men: Trailer
T3: Rise of the Machines: Trailer
Charlie’s Angels: Trailer
28 Days Later: Trailer

These six titles are taken from IMDB’s home page. Four are sequels. This is indeed an indication that studio executives, ever concerned about their bottom lines and their own fat asses, are less willing to risk money on original scripts and instead bet on earlier successes.

Where will all this end? The movie business, as its name applies, has always been a business, but as vertical mergers continue and studios buy distributors and theaters, will independents even have a market for their films?

Will we be forever beholden to the shite that Hollywood churns out? Can you imagine, WTC, the sequel to Pearl Harbor, or Back Up, the sequel to Driven?

Can you?

[quote=“Alleycat”]Legally Blonde 2: Trailer: Official Site
[/quote]

2Fast 2Furious
XMen 2
Matrix Reloaded

Just to help you prove your point… :wink:

Thanks.

On topic again and as I mentioned Wenders before, his Wings of Desire is out on DVD: amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de … ance&s=dvd

[quote=“Toe Save”][quote=“Alleycat”]Legally Blonde 2: Trailer: Official Site
[/quote]

2Fast 2Furious
XMen 2
Matrix Reloaded

Just to help you prove your point… :wink:[/quote]

Besides the Matrix Trilogy, we also have the LOTR trilogy and…slowly but surely…the last of the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy

Side Note:
Seems also like there’s a renewed trend in comics-movies.
Besides old school Superman, and Batman (and others?), this next couple of years will see a bunch of comics turned to movies

• Spiderman, Xmen, Hulk, Punisher (didn’t they make one already?), Daredevil, etc.
  • There were a few already in between: Spawn, Darkman, Blade, MIB.
    I hear that the new Sean Connery movie is also taken out of pages of a comic book.

I also just saw a trailer called “underworld”. with Kate Beckinsale in Catwoman leather ( :shock: quite a change from Much Ado) in a movie about Vampires versus Werewolves in an urban goth setting with a Romeo and Juliet plot…except for the love story, sounds too much like Blade II.

Back to the original posting…
David Lynch… Dune. While different from the book (and with a cheesy ending), it was quite an accomplishment in 1984 for a sci-fi, considering the crap that was showing up in those days… Ice Pirates?? Still, I would have loved to see his original vision reportedly another 2 hours more.

Surely all the comic book rage in filmmaking is aimed at the largest demographic who see films, those under 25.

Saw Phone Booth yesterday, it’s not bad. Nothing to rave about, but Colin Farrell is cute, and a reasonable actor.

“Phone Booth”…The concept of the film seems to be quite fresh. Gonna def. check it out! :smiley:

Saw “The Red Violin” last night. Very compelling and emotional one: it produced some streams of tears while watching it. The plot of the movie is one of the most interesting ones I’ve seen. Overlapping time structure is complex, and at the end of lthe film all the elements are pulled together to reveal the whole picture. And the music! Joshua Bell’s ecstatic and crazy performance is impressive. This film is a feast for all the senses, and the cinematography is also wonderful with careful uses of colors. If you haven’t seen thismasterpiece yet, I wanna strongly recommend you guys to watch it.

Was this at the movies or on DVD?

It was DVD. The music won the 1999 American Award for the best score.

Spacegal :slight_smile: