Top global fund manager says buy TSMC over Samsung

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-22/top-global-fund-says-bye-bye-samsung-hello-taiwan-s-tsmc
I also don’t like the fact that Taiwan is overly dependent on Samsung sucking.

I think it was cool that Samsung was going to acquire a 30% stake in PlayNitride to Develop micro LED. Thereby we can hedge in case Samsung thrives. Too bad their M&A chief got arrested and it didn’t happen.

TSMC is doing very well right now and its outlook looks as good as any other semiconductor company. It’s well poised for entering server CPU market as well.
But the long-term is less certain and Taiwan is over dependent on TSMC and semiconductors in general. Who knows what happens to the industry in 2 decades? It’s ridiculous for a whole economy to go down because Apple is underperforming in sales in the quarter.

2 Likes

If the U.S. asks their tech companies not to sell any products to Huawei then non-U.S. tech companies should all get a boost…

How about they drop their prices so I can buy an iPhone X

2 Likes

Nice!

Neener neener

Samsung plans to begin its own 3nm production in 2021, based on gate-all-around (GAA) technology, although its density will not be as high as TSMC’s 3nm. (For Samsung, 5nm is an optimization of its 7nm node.)