Top Picks Among Recent Movies

Many things go boom!

Someone over on Fark.com said Pirates is good, so it must be true :wink:. I’ll definitely be seeing that one.

I wasn’t being sarcastic – I really have heard good things about this film. Johnny Depp, hook-hands, flaming beards, swarming the riggings, “AVAST, ye scurvy sea-dogs!” cutlasses, gunpower mixed into the rum, skeletons rattling in the wind at Tyburn gallows – jesus, what’s not to like? All’s missing is the ghost of Errol Flynn.

Seen T3 now and there is not much merit besides the entertainment. It’s obvious that the story was written later (i.e. it was never planned as a triology *) and unfortunately Linda Hamilton is also missing.
However the action scenes manage to keep the viewer excited, CGI (Computer Generated Images) were only used where needed and I am happy to report there are no Matrix-like effects (Bullet-Time), instead real cars are crashed during the car chase.
In fact I found that CGI were far better implemented (i.e. less noticable) than in other recent movies and T2 even still ranks with the best despite it’s age.
There is not much to say about the lead actors, nothing outstanding though Claire Danes gives a fair to good performance.
Kristinna Loken, the T-X, didn’t look mean enough, more like an offended Barbie-doll instead of a ruthless terminator. Oh, and Arnie is getting old.

There are more jokes in T3 which provided some good laughs but there is less of a story or message when compared to T2 and some scenes had been “recycled”, they were very similar to those in T2.

However I found the movie overall enjoyable and rate it close behind T2, which is one of my favorite movies of all times.

*) Expect part 4 as T3 features an open end.

Robert Patrick made a much better and menacing evil Terminator that that Swedish woman, who let’s face it, was there just to appeal to to teenage boys, ie she was there for all the wrong reasons.
I was also worried about Jim Cameron’s absence, the creator, writer and director of the first 2, so who else could carry on the story ? It was better than I expected, which wasn’t much.
If you only 5 hour black and white films about a polish pig farmer searching for his missing pig, with jokes that don’t translate at all. You’ll be disappointed. But if you know it’s not supposed to realistic, and can take it for all it claims to be, a fun action film, you’ll like it.

Saw Hero a few months ago - my pick of the latest.

I saw Finding Nemo and Gangs of New York and both are very good. Finding Nemo is very funny, great animation and I loveee the dialogue. (personally, I think it is better than Monster Inc but I already got bash from my friends :blush: ) Gangs of NY was long, but great acting, a bit grrrroooos as some of you guys mention already, yet the story line is good, a bit sad.

My ratings of current movies (max. 5 stars):

T3 * * * * - solid action

Confidence * * * * * - nice thriller with great performances

Phonebooth * * * 1/2 - not bad, quite entertaining in fact

Tombraider * * * 1/2 - mindless fun and big … eyes

Gangs of New York * * * * 1/2 - long and violent, but good and interesting story

Just saw this on vcd: Blue Crush
Good fun! Big waves! Tough surfer chicks in bikinis. What a refreshing change of pace.

I saw Pirates of the Carribean when I was in Canada. Movie is ok (good for kids), but Johnny Depp was brilliant in his role. I thought his portrayal of a flamboyant, swashbuckling (slightly gay?) pirate was fantastic.

Brought two DVDs back with me: Best in Show and Bowling for Columbine. Both excellent movies…

I saw S.W.A.T. yesterday and it wasn’t what I’ve expected. The beginning was good but the last 30-45 min was a draggggg. The story line wasn’t catchy and I though there should be more shooting scene like HEAT!! But hey, it is Collin Farrell, what do you expect! I give it a 3 1/2 stars… :unamused:

Yummy yum yum YUMMMY yummmmmmmm…Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom in tight breeches. When is it being released here???

Is drowling a combination of drooling and growling?
:laughing:
That’s me. Or maybe drurring (drooling and purring)
Good one!

Pirates of the Caribbean!
Loved it. Depp is brilliant once again. The weird skinny guy from The Office plays one of the goofy ghost pirates. I predict a whole slew of swashbucklers in its wake.

Good one![/quote]

Alien, love your sense of humor and my creativity… !! Cheers

five star recco to Pretty Dirty Things…a movie about illegal aliens working in London…very realistic portrayal with great acting and a superbly paced script…

[quote=“Alien”]
Good one![/quote]
I guess I’ll be ruking, that’s a cross between running away and puking…

Yummy yum yum YUMMMY yummmmmmmm…Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom in tight breeches. When is it being released here???[/quote]

I also give JD a big thumbs up, though the movie itself was a bit dull toward the end. Great fare for the kids.

Johnny Depp is one of the coolest actors in Hollywood today. I’d buy that man a drink if I met him.

[quote=“Tomas”]

Johnny Depp is one of the coolest actors in Hollywood today. I’d buy that man a drink if I met him.[/quote]

:smiley:
Johnny’s brilliant and takes that film from mindless childsplay to camp classic.
I read that his accent is based on a combo of Keith Richards, Pepe LePeu, and a Rastafarian.

I’ve loved him since his 21 Jump Street days. He never disappoints on screen, but I’d put this role up there with Fear and Loathing’s Gonzo and Ed Wood. He’s a bit of a genius, really.

Saw new Harrison Ford Josh Harnet anti-hero aging cop/rookie vehicle yesterday. Some amusing moments. Hollywood Homicide.

What I’d REALLY like to see is Dirty Pretty Things which is also playing there, and hopefully still is, but I dont have the number for Core Pacific Movie theater to find out if it is. DPT is a Stephen Frear film, the director of Dangerous Liasons, High Fidelity, My Beautiful Laundrette, The Grifters, Prick up you Ears and a couple Roddy Doyles (The Van, The Snapper).
Someone please post the phone number of the Living Hell Mall theater for me please. The Chinese name of film is same. Mei Li Hwai Dong Shi.
Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 93%, btw.
And it stars Audrey Tatou from Amelie.