Wales–Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau
Egypt–BILADI
Italy–INNO DI MAMELI
Turkey
Dixie

niceflag.com/music.htm

and for fred
France–La Marseillaise

In college I had this wacky Taiwanese neighbor who said that the ROC national anthem was voted in some competition to be the most beautiful best national anthem in the world. He was one of these guys who would put down the US at every oppurtunity and go on and on about how great Chinese culture is but to my knowledge, never went back to Taiwan and eventually became a US citizen.

[quote=“Flicka”]In college I had this wacky Taiwanese neighbor who said that the ROC national anthem was voted in some competition to be the most beautiful best national anthem in the world.[/quote]That was at the 1936 Berlin olympics

The best - The Hatikvah - Israel’s national anthem.

The worst national anthem is Canada’s. What a boring piece of music, just like most of it people.

Chewy

California Uber Alles

New Zealand - “Don’t dream it’s over - Crowded House”

No - “God Defend New Zealand” - Well, it’s worked so far

[quote=“Alien”][url=http://alexander.nu/deutschlandlied/DL-Vocal.mp3]Deutschland, Deutschland

The only good thing I have to say about my nation’s crummy anthem is that it originated as an English drinking song.

contemplator.com/america/anacreon.html

I’m not terribly patriotic, but I have a thing for the US national anthem. For the following reasons:

1. doesn’t mention the name of the country or anything political
  2. talks about fabulous things like broad stripes and bright stars and red rockets
  3. mentions Native Americans (uh… in so many words)
  4. can be sung equally well by an opera singer and an R & B artist
  5. requires a lot of musical ability to sing it properly–I’ve had more than one Taiwanese point out that tricky half-note (By the dawns EARLY light)

And the Taiwanese national anthem gets a vote too, because of the dainty bits in between. It’s nice to hear a national anthem which doesn’t sound like a march or a military song.

Not quite a national anthem, but almost:

Scotland - The Flower of Scotland.

I am English, but it still gives me goosebumps when 60,000 scots sing it out loud at rugby matches!!

Same for the welsh anthem - but to a much lesser degree.

The French national anthem is a bit poncy…

The Italian one is better, but not great.

Rubbish!! The Welsh National Anthem, belted out by a hundred people in a pub, is way better than Flower of Scotland. I figured it was a bit too hard for my 7grade class a while back, but they managed ‘Men of Harlech’ quite admirably.

The English national anthem, as was pointed out by Billy Connolly a few years ago, is crap. It has to be one of the most boring monotonous pieces of music I have ever been obliged to sing. Billy recommended it be replaced with the theme to The Archers, but I favour Land of Hope and Glory myself.

I really like “O Canada.” Not too long, easy to sing along with, and nice melody. Overall, a very good national anthem.

We should change the national anthem of the U.S. to “Political Science” by Randy Newman.

[quote]No one likes us-I don’t know why
We may not be perfect, but heaven knows we try
But all around, even our old friends put us down
Let’s drop the big one and see what happens

We give them money-but are they grateful?
No, they’re spiteful and they’re hateful
They don’t respect us-so let’s surprise them
We’ll drop the big one and pulverize them

Asia’s crowded and Europe’s too old
Africa is far too hot
And Canada’s too cold
And South America stole our name
Let’s drop the big one
There’ll be no one left to blame us

We’ll save Australia
Don’t wanna hurt no kangaroo
We’ll build an All American amusement park there
They got surfin’, too

Boom goes London and boom Paree
More room for you and more room for me
And every city the whole world round
Will just be another American town
Oh, how peaceful it will be
We’ll set everybody free
You’ll wear a Japanese kimono
And there’ll be Italian shoes for me

They all hate us anyhow
So let’s drop the big one now
Let’s drop the big one now

[/quote]

[quote=“Bassman”]New Zealand - “Don’t dream it’s over - Crowded House”

No - “God Defend New Zealand” - Well, it’s worked so far[/quote]

No, it’s “Ten Guitars”!

Yep.

“Way” better?? IMHO I think not…

As I also mentioned in my post, I did say that I also liked the welsh NA, but to a lesser extent. I just think the scots are more passionate than the welsh, and therefore that “adds” to the quality or enjoyment of any NA.

Totally agree. However, it is something that is part of the culture and regardless of how crap you think your particular NA is, I could not believe that you do not get excited or proud when your NA is being passionatly sung at, say, a sporting event?

[quote=“Alien”]Deutschland, Deutschland ueber Alles
God Save the Queens
This one–San Minzu yi
That one–Yiyongjun Jinxingqu
Wales–Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau
Egypt–BILADI
Italy–INNO DI MAMELI
Turkey
Dixie

niceflag.com/music.htm

and for fred
France–La Marseillaise[/quote]

Dixie for sure!

Taiwanese businesses prefer Dixie too. Ever been on hold and had to listen to it? Sticks in your head for days, if not weeks, after.

Look away, look away…

God Save the Queen is the best by far.

[quote=“Maoman”][quote=“Alien”][url=http://alexander.nu/deutschlandlied/DL-Vocal.mp3]Deutschland, Deutschland