Top Ten Show Tunes

Oh and who can forget “Blue Velvet” in “Blue Velvet.” Also “Silencio” in Mulholland Drive."

[quote=“Stewart Pendous”]

If I was to direct a piece of MT, it would be Clockwork Orange, The Musical.
(It’s been done)[/quote]

:laughing:
And I’d do Silence!
silencethemusical.com/index.shtml
Silence of the Lambs, The Musical

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The same guys I worked with that I mentioned in the other thread that did Bukowsky stagings (Erections, Ejaculations and Exhibitions, The Fuck Machine) on the Canadian Fringe circuit once kicked around an idea for doing Bret Easton Ellis’ American Psycho as a one-man show musical.

Two Ladies and Tomorrow belongs To Me…both from Cabaret:

Tomorrow belongs To Me

[BOY SOPRANO]
The sun on the meadow is summery warm.
The stag in the forest runs free.
But gather together to greet the storm.
Tomorrow belongs to me.

The branch of the linden is leafy and green,
The Rhine gives its gold to the sea.
But somewhere a glory awaits unseen.
Tomorrow belongs to me.

The babe in his cradle is closing his eyes
The blossom embraces the bee.
But soon, says a whisper;
“Arise, arise,
Tomorrow belongs…”

[EMCEE (spoken)]
To me!

I forgot:

I’d Do Anything–Oliver!
Candy Man and the Oompa Loompa songs–Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Theme
The Bare Necessities–The Jungle Book
Chim Chim Cher-ee and Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious–Mary Poppins

What key?

What key?[/quote]

The key of ‘E’, obviously - is there any other? :slight_smile:

Sandman wrote:

“Memories” is from Cats

[quote=“ironlady”]Sounds like it’s time to get a bunch of Forumosans who like REAL music (which, as will be obvious to all, means primarily Sondheim) together in a room with a piano and just let loose…

Who’s up for it?? I used to know pretty much the whole MT repertoire but time has undoubtedly eroded my memory… :astonished:[/quote]

I say we set a musical Forumosa social hour on a Tuesday night at somewhere like Watersheds, and then take over the DJ seat for the evening. Everybody bring your musical CDs, I’ll spin 'em. Of course this would require permission… But we could probably get enough people to make up for the people running out the door, right? And I might actually show my face for once at a Forumosa event :sunglasses:

[quote=“scooter”]
I say we set a musical Forumosa social hour on a Tuesday night at somewhere like Watersheds, and then take over the DJ seat for the evening. Everybody bring your musical CDs, I’ll spin 'em. Of course this would require permission… But we could probably get enough people to make up for the people running out the door, right? And I might actually show my face for once at a Forumosa event :sunglasses:[/quote]

You know scooter, I don’t have a single show tune in my cd collection. I’d have to spend time downloading them illegally and burning them, so give me a few weeks notice first. DOES sound fun! :smiley:
They have a Game Club and Movie Club on Forumosa, why not a Show Tunes Club?

:wink:

Heck, let’s just take over a piano bar. :slight_smile:

Hey, we do it in DC (and a beautiful ratio of tenors to sopranos it is in THOSE bars, too, believe me!! :laughing: )

[quote=“ironlady”]Heck, let’s just take over a piano bar. :slight_smile:

Hey, we do it in DC (and a beautiful ratio of tenors to sopranos it is in THOSE bars, too, believe me!! :laughing: )[/quote]

Sigh - I have to say, it’d be fun! Love to sing, even though I’m fairly crap at it :slight_smile:

So, have you got any scores with you? Sheet? At least the 4 Sondheim books? :laughing:

None - because I don’t play an instrument, and you can learn the words and tune quite well enough from listening to the CDs far too many times :slight_smile: Although it is disconcerting when you realise the orchestral line for a lot of Sondheim is something like: pling… pling… thumpa thumpa… pling :smiley:

:laughing:

Well, ladies, I unfortunately have no scores, and can’t sight-read for the piano. But I have a short stack of CDs… A piano session would be brilliant though.

Well, we can do what my memory will allow…might be a bit rough as I’ve been out of the field for awhile, but I used to know pretty much the whole major MT repertoire from memory. Where and when? Maybe if y’all get a bit soused first the insufficiencies in the piano wouldn’t bother you as much (pling… pling… thumpa thumpa… pling) :laughing: (oh, sorry, that was RIGHT, wasn’t it?? :laughing: )

If it’s lyrics you want…

Big Spender - Sweet Charity
Goodbye My Life/Some of These Days - All That Jazz
Cellblock Tango - Chicago
Bali Hai/Honey Bun/A Wonderful Guy/ Dites-Moi - South Pacific
Tradition - Fiddler on the Roof
Little Lamb - Gypsy
Easy to be Hard/White Boys - Hair
One Last Kiss - Bye Bye Birdie
Sit Down You’re Rockin’ the Boat - Guys and Dolls
Dancing/Elegance - Hello Dolly!
In My Own Little Corner - Cinderella
Goodnight and Thank You - Evita…

Wait a minute…this was supposed to be a top ten? Oh well.

:smiley: