There are 3 in Taipei.
300 is playing at the Miramar Mall/Cinema.
Check out the giant ferris wheel while you’re there.
Link
samsungimax.com.tw/

I read 3-4 reviews and all ripped this movie to
SHREDS

So that’s what happened to all the left-over costumes from “The Full Monty”.

66% fresh or so on rottentomatoes. That’s good enough for me. I’m not expecting Shakespeare.

If you watch the trailer you should be expecting what it is. There are no major plot twists or anything- just a story of fighting. ANd I thought it was cool that they didnt really use ‘monsters’ per-se just exaggerated humans and animals.

I thought it was totally cool- watched it in the Uptown theater in DC, has a huge curved screen, only second to Imax.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I read 3-4 reviews and all ripped this movie to
SHREDS
.[/quote]

Yes. It’s not anti-war. And the Greeks are…

WHITE!!!

The horror…

If you go in expecting a highly stylized graphic novel, muscle-bound actors who don’t really act very well, and lots of action and gore, you should enjoy it, from what I hear.

Well…if I was expecting a movie featuring several angst-ridden potbellied 40 something guys sitting around navel gazing, I guess I’d be disappointed. I prefer to be entertained not tortured. :laughing:

I gotta agree with Dr. Evil. This movie was about action and war. I think if you watch this you can see that the Spartans didnt really have a choice, they were warriors and free men, don’t try to waltz in and make them slaves. People will fight for their freedom much harder than a slave for his master. I think its really a good thing to remind americans of as well, maybe we should leave the fighting for when its necessary to protect freedom rather than to gain oil.

Gerard Butler can act like a mofo but that’s not what he’s getting paid for here. He’s getting paid to be big and muscly and to chew the scenery.

Yep but the last time we did that the Germans took over Poland. :wink:

The Persians offered Greece to the Spartans to run it for the Persians as a kind of uber-Sparta. The Spartans told them to eat it. They lived for the fight. They were bad diplomats too.

There was a prophesy that one of the two kings of Sparta would die , King Leonidias took the prophesy to heart. The other Spartans were forbidden to fight at that time because of religious commitments and the other greek states had yet to be rallied mistrusting an army run by the Americans…emm I meant Spartans.

He took a group of bodyguards all older men with sons knowing that Thermopylae would be a strategic place to make a stand, and would rally the other Greeks in defending Hellenic Democracy. The Athenians (a.k.a. the French/English in this movie) weren’t really the lisping tree huggers the graphic novel made them out to be -hell they kicked Persian tush at the battle of Marathon where they were outnumbered.

The Spartans were agressive, fascist boy-loving butt pirates and slave owners who could turn their whole country into one giant military training camp because they never did a day of work in their lives-unlike the Athenians who were shopkeepers, farmers, poets etc. and weekend warriors. They fought (like the participants in the Alamo) to keep there country free for them to own slaves.

The Thespians (over a thousand) also stayed with the Spartans until the end which fused a bond between the two people for many years. There were also Phocians volunteers, and Thebans etc. who were in the battle.

I love reading reviews by movie critics who’ve never read the graphic novel panning the movie as unreal or overly conceptualized.
:s

[quote=“jdsmith”]Saw the trailer in the theatre. Looks goooood. I’m a big fan of Frank Miller.

So glad to see graphic novels getting more and more screen time.[/quote]

Me too. They just aren’t visual enough.

[i]My[/i] kind of movie…it’s pissed off all the right people. :laughing: I especially like the line about “Iranian culture”…it just begs the question: [i]What[/i] Iranian culture?

:roflmao:

[quote]
“300”; a historical lie

SNA - Tehran
Service: Art

TEHRAN, Mar. 13 (ISNA)-Javad Shamqadri, an art advisor to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, accused the movie “300” of being “part of a comprehensive U.S. psychological war aimed at Iranian culture”.

“Following the Islamic Revolution in Iran, Hollywood and cultural authorities in the U.S. initiated studies to figure out how to attack the Iranian culture,” Shamqadri added “certainly, the recent movie is a product of such studies.”

Iranians residing in different countries have also expressed their anger against the on-screen movie.

Also the artists of Fars Art Bureau in southern Iran lashed out at the Hollywood production of “300” in a declaration, dismissing it as a history distortion.

“After distorting the history in “Alexander”, the film “300” is currently on screen to depict their defeat,” reads part of the declaration released by the artists from Fars Province.[/quote]

isna.ir/Main/NewsView.aspx?I … 373&Lang=E

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I read 3-4 reviews and all ripped this movie to
SHREDS
.[/quote]

Strange, because the reviews I’ve read have been good.
And the public certainly likes it.
8.3 puts it currently at #163 on IMDB.

Hey, it might be good :idunno:. But I had read stuff like this:

NYT:

[quote]“300” is about as violent as “Apocalypto” and twice as stupid. Adapted from a graphic novel by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley, it offers up a bombastic spectacle of honor and betrayal, rendered in images that might have been airbrushed onto a customized van sometime in the late 1970s…

wooden puppets were more compelling actors than most of the cast of “300” …

Its digitally tricked-up color scheme, while impressive at times, is hard to tolerate for nearly two hours…

you can find many of the same themes, conveyed with more nuance and irony, in a Pokémon cartoon…

In time, “300” may find its cultural niche as an object of camp derision…

its muscle-bound, grunting self-seriousness is more tiresome than entertaining. Go tell the Spartans, whoever they are, to stay home and watch wrestling.[/quote]

Source[quote]the lifeless dialogue and two dimensional characters borders on the edge of boring and annoying. …

The movie is stuffed full of two dimensional values that will no doubt appeal to the lowest common denominator…

The characters, with exception of the minor relationship subplot between the Captain and his son, are unsympathetic and uninteresting. When the Spartans die in battle, you just don’t care. The film instead celebrates the bloodshed but not meaning. There is a little to love, but much to hate.[/quote] (still giving it 6.5 of 10 for innovative style etc.)

This is my favorite quote off the Rotten Tomatoes page, though: [quote]You don’t go to Hooters for the chicken wings - no matter what you might tell your wife - and you’re not going to 300 for the plot nuances.[/quote] :laughing:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Hey, it might be good :idunno:. But I had read stuff like this:

NYT:

[quote]“300” is about as violent as “Apocalypto” and twice as stupid. Adapted from a graphic novel by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley, it offers up a bombastic spectacle of honor and betrayal, rendered in images that might have been airbrushed onto a customized van sometime in the late 1970s…

wooden puppets were more compelling actors than most of the cast of “300” …

Its digitally tricked-up color scheme, while impressive at times, is hard to tolerate for nearly two hours…

you can find many of the same themes, conveyed with more nuance and irony, in a Pokémon cartoon…

In time, “300” may find its cultural niche as an object of camp derision…

its muscle-bound, grunting self-seriousness is more tiresome than entertaining. Go tell the Spartans, whoever they are, to stay home and watch wrestling.[/quote]

Source[quote]the lifeless dialogue and two dimensional characters borders on the edge of boring and annoying. …

The movie is stuffed full of two dimensional values that will no doubt appeal to the lowest common denominator…

The characters, with exception of the minor relationship subplot between the Captain and his son, are unsympathetic and uninteresting. When the Spartans die in battle, you just don’t care. The film instead celebrates the bloodshed but not meaning. There is a little to love, but much to hate.[/quote] (still giving it 6.5 of 10 for innovative style etc.)

This is my favorite quote off the Rotten Tomatoes page, though: [quote]You don’t go to Hooters for the chicken wings - no matter what you might tell your wife - and you’re not going to 300 for the plot nuances.[/quote] :laughing:[/quote]
But they’re GREAT reviews! Well, except for the NYT one, who tries far too hard to be cute and fails dismally, coming across as just a supercilious twat whose breakfast didn’t agree with him.
The second one is simply a critic who missed the entire point. “Values?” “Two-dimensional?” “Subplot?” What the hell’s the matter with this guy? A two-second cut from the teaser’s enough to show you that’s not what this is about. Maybe he thought he was going to see Pride and Prejudice or something. What a stupid dweeb.
The Hooters one totally NAILS it.

Yeah, I can certainly agree with some of those comments.
I guess it depends on what you want in a movie.
I saw it last night at the IMAX and it was a fun, entertaining movie.
Stylish, great fight scenes, good use of color, some gratuitous nudity, and severed body parts.
Sometimes that’s all I want in a flick. :slight_smile:

[quote]a fun, entertaining movie.
Stylish, great fight scenes, good use of color, some gratuitous nudity, and severed body parts. [/quote]
Not as much pizazz as the Hooters reference, but it’s persuaded me nonetheless (not that I needed persuading.)

Make sure you go to the IMAX to see it.
Best to reserve online.
I didn’t, and had to wait until 1:40am to get good seats.

So how’s the lesbian orgy?