Toronto The Good?

"PISTOLS ARE the murder weapon of choice on Toronto’s blood-stained streets, with more people dead by gunfire already this year than in all of 2004.

Yesterday’s two gun deaths brings the city’s murder total for the year to 42, with 28 slain by bullets. That’s a dramatic increase from last year’s 27 killed by firearm out of 64 murders.

Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said 2,170 firearms have been seized so far this year. He added most of the crime handguns can be traced to the United States." - Toronto Sun (Tuesday, August 9, 2005)

I can honestly remember in recent history that this short of crapola wouldn’t have had a place in the newspaper as often as I am seeing it now. I’m so sick of this sort of violence.

That being said, I’ve seen ALOT of crime including gun crime resulting in the murder of one friend and two aquitances but that came with the territory and my choice of work. It still bothers me that people cannot solve their differences either through a good flaming or a punch up if all else fails. Canadian gun laws in place should be stepped up. In my opinion there is no goddamn place for a handgun in society (Police and Military only). What the F*CK are they used for? Hunting? Why, I think NOT!

For those of you who will defend the right to bare arms, fine. For some of the Americano’s out there that would like to rationalise the right to carry a freakin handgun should be amusing.

The fad for gangbangers is some cromed and tricked out piece with no value other than for killing other human beings and to be honest with you, IF I had to defend my home, then why not use a standard 12 gauge or hunting rifle? Can’t exactly conceal those badboys now can ya? Or would ya rather stick that little .22 in your belt, sock or whatever and sneak up on the guy and “pop a cap in his ass”? Cowards.

Whatever happened to a shiner and bruised ego?

But…but…Canada has Gun Laws!… :raspberry:

Why are you whining? You have socialized medicine to pay for all the gunshot wounds (after a four month wait to get permission for surgery, of course).

I wonder what you were doing to be involved with so much violence?

Gun laws? Yes, we have them but they are outdated and in need of some serious review.

What did I do to see this much violence?
Nightclub Security (Duh, bouncer)
Community Patrol Officer for Toronto Community Housing Projects.

Not pretty and I tend to believe I suffer from some of the same affects that soldiers go through after returning from war. Nightmares, cold sweats, loud noise or fireworks sometimes scare the piss outta me.

Anyhow not the point. I wonder what or even if the Government of Canada is going to do about this? There is no place in society for weapons such as these. I don’t give a HOOT about what the American’s take on this right to bare arms. The history as to why the right was past is severely outdated and there’s no goddamn chance of a revolution involving forcibly removing a government in power within North America.
I do however love The Bowling for Columbine (Mike Moore) and the South Park boys take on why the NRA was formed. Hilarious. Fear and Ignorance but yet another topic.

I used to hear this a lot from people back home. Funny thing was when you asked them what the law was they did not have a clue.

Obtaining a handgun in Canada is not simply a matter of walking into a store and buying one or at least it was not in 1994 when I took my Federal Firearms course. Handguns are either restricted or prohibited weapons depending on the weapon. Short barrel and small calibre handguns are prohibited weapons. The prohibited weapons are illegal. Restricted weapons require any number of permits, licenses, and such. You even require a special permit just to transport it anywhere off its registered address. Eleven years ago it took something like nine to twelve months to complete the process of purchasing a handgun legally in most parts of Canada. And then that just entitled you to take it home and lock it up before applying for an additional permit so that you could take it to the range.

You can ban handguns but that is not going to get rid of the problem. My understanding is that most handguns on the street are smuggled from the States as opposed to being legally purchased in Canada.

And even if a ban is successful then you only need to look at the UK where knife crime is now perceived as being out of control and well . . . just have a look at the law there and some of the proposed changes to tackle the issue. When I was living there last year, people were calling for a ban on pretty well everything but butter knives. And already carrying my mini-Leatherman on my key chain could get me in awful trouble - or so I was told to my amazement.

I am not saying that everyone should have a handgun. I do not believe that. What I am saying is that Canada has tough gun control laws and that making them tougher is not going to remedy what ills Upper Canadian society.

If you are interested in learning more about Canada’s firearm legislation and regulations then check out the Canada Firearms Centre

funny coincidence, I was just talking to my mom last night about this violence (she lives in Toronto). Its gotten really bad lately, but its not like the U.S., where you will have these random drive by shootings. Unfortunately, there’s for some reason a lot of stupid ppl in Toronto recently, they’re not robbin ppl at gunpoint because they are poor but because they are upset for some reason, all of the latest shootings have been domestic (i.e. the gunman/victim knew each other) or night club related. The nightclub ones are really bad lately, I stopped taking an interest in clubs 2 yrs ago because of the suddent increase in niteclub violence, either ppl upset ovr drugs or maybe some girl rejected em.

Obviously there’s also Jane and Finch area and Scarborough, these areas have really dumb ppl and gangs living there who end up shooting each other.

the guns probably come easily enough from the U.S., but guns have always been in Canada, but the murders didn’t pile up like this. Its really strange, I dunno whats going on in Toronto lately, maybe the water or air or something.

At least this happened in Saskatoon and not TOronto:

damn thats sad.

but this is worse:

but the Police know that its not random, u can see where the shootings are happening:

Its common knowledge that Scarborough, NW Toronto and Toronto nightclubs have gun violence (Scarborough poor/stupid ppl and lotta youth gangs, same with NW Toronto, jane and finch area etc.) and night clubs too many dumb youths angry ovr not getting laid.

[quote=“webdoctors”]funny coincidence, I was just talking to my mom last night about this violence (she lives in Toronto). Its gotten really bad lately, but its not like the U.S., where you will have these random drive by shootings. Unfortunately, there’s for some reason a lot of stupid people in Toronto recently, they’re not robbin people at gunpoint because they are poor but because they are upset for some reason, all of the latest shootings have been domestic (i.e. the gunman/victim knew each other) or night club related. The nightclub ones are really bad lately, I stopped taking an interest in clubs 2 yrs ago because of the suddent increase in niteclub violence, either people upset ovr drugs or maybe some girl rejected em.

Obviously there’s also Jane and Finch area and Scarborough, these areas have really dumb people and gangs living there who end up shooting each other.

the guns probably come easily enough from the U.S., but guns have always been in Canada, but the murders didn’t pile up like this. Its really strange, I dunno whats going on in Toronto lately, maybe the water or air or something.

At least this happened in Saskatoon and not TOronto:

damn thats sad.

but this is worse:

but the Police know that its not random, u can see where the shootings are happening:

Its common knowledge that Scarborough, NW Toronto and Toronto nightclubs have gun violence (Scarborough poor/stupid people and lotta youth gangs, same with NW Toronto, jane and finch area etc.) and night clubs too many dumb youths angry ovr not getting laid.[/quote]

Unfortunately it’s also well known within the Law Enforcment community that it’s Canadian drugs for American Firearms …Bloody ridiculous.

I’ve lived in Scarborough and it wasn’t all that bad. It had its moments but all in all not a bad place to live. There’s a huge sense of community with alot of places in Toronto so I suspect it comes down to the “You’ve got attitude while tresspassing on my property”. I think this is where some of this “gang” related violence comes from. Toronto is pretty hardcore when it comes to this BS. Not a good thing.

I could blame the media but that would be cliche’ yet true to an extent.