Toronto van attack

You have to take care though- the act of categorizing can also cause observers to develop prejudices, as in preconceived opinions, either negative or positive, of those assigned to groups. Also, it can pressure those identified as members to conform to the perceived ideals and traits of the groups. It impossible to observe a system without affecting it.

1 Like

Weren’t you the guy who was so quick to put out the “angry white man who couldn’t get laid” narrative?

Generalizations and prejudices have their function. They are OK as long as you are conscious of what they are.

1 Like

I demand reparations.

If I rile myself up and get angry, can I has reparations too?

Not angry! You need to look like a victim!

I demand alsace-lorraine

Time to take a method acting class. I need me a piece of that sweet sweet pie.

I said that categorization can have an effect, and you should take care, I didn’t say you shouldn’t categorize.

Just think of the 4 wives and 15 kids you left back home in middle of a civil war!

Rubbish

So jumping immediately on the “angry white man” bandwagon before much information comes out is “taking care”? I’m not saying this necessarily isn’t the case, but it seems a bit premature.

I demand Sophia Loren!

Wait, maybe it’s too late already…

She’s 80 and she fits into the same clothes as when she was 20. She has all my respect.

1 Like

You almost convinced me, but then I saw this:

1 Like

I bet she’d look much better without all the plastic surgery though.

All on her face dear, and she’s 80plus, so OK.

What???

Plastic surgery only on her face.

My point about categorization was just a philosophical observation. I happen to think differences exist and need to be described, but in doing so you have cause and effect.

My point about ‘angry/crazy white men’ was to highlight the media absurdity in their classification and narrative of these type of tragic events. It looks like this guy frequented forums because he felt alienated from society, and in these forums hate-speach was fermented against society, and this perhaps drove him to commit this act- a lot of those who are classed as terrorists I think also fall under this behavior pattern, what should the governments response to this be, ban celibates? The fact his name originates in the Caucasus, the cusp of many ethnic groups, but technically “Caucasian”, I thought was interesting to highlight.

2 Likes