Tortilla Press

It’s been driving me nuts, my handmade tortilla taste good but looks something like from a horror movie (from rolling pins).

WCIF tortilla press?

Thanks in advance!

Never saw one here. I brought mine from the West. You can have one shipped to you. Or put your dough between two sheets of plastic (a cut open freezer-weight quart-sized ziplock works well), put a flat-bottomed object like a frying pan atop it and press down. :smiley: Even with a rolling pin, if you use the plastic trick it may help. Roll from the center out, turn, and repeat until done.

The zhua bing stand near my work uses a press to flatten the dough to order, just like the one below. In Chinese the press is called yá miàn tuán jī (壓麵團機). Tortillas are thinner than zhua bing, but the press is adjustable so maybe this would work for tortillas?

Got the image from this blog: http://blog.sina.com.tw/akane847/article.php?pbgid=7423&entryid=604953

1 Like

That’s a great idea. I was looking for a tortilla press myself, but because a metal one is so heavy the shipping cost is outrageous. Not sure where to get those things though - I’ll have to ask around!

The next time I’m at the zhua bing stand I’ll ask the laoban where he got the press.

2 boards,two, hinges, a piece of flat metal,some wood and

a bit of elbow grease, You live in Mexico, Central and South America more than e than a day you learn quickly.

i’ve seen the local dough press on online auction… decided it’s way too big and probably for commercial use. but if anyone is interested,
goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21005189471738
2800NT free shipping

I did put the dough between two wax paper, pressed it with the bottom flat surface of a glass plate (see through so I can see the dough), finish it with rolling pin.
Still came out as a disaster though :cry:

Maybe I just need more practice instead :sunglasses:

Guys: two plates, plastic wrap. That’s all. That’s how we do it. The secret is applying your weight at the right place -square center- lots of strenght.

Got a wood tortilla press I rarely use. Make me an offer. :smiley:

Is it like not evenly thick? i don’t see plates working if they are not flat, i’ve used books.
If its just not round and you want roundness, put a plate over it and just cut.

My wife told me that the tortilla machines are made in Taiwan?? I’ll get back to you later on that.

[quote=“ls918”]I did put the dough between two wax paper, pressed it with the bottom flat surface of a glass plate (see through so I can see the dough), finish it with rolling pin.
Still came out as a disaster though :cry:

Maybe I just need more practice instead :sunglasses:[/quote]

Describe the disaster and maybe we can help. Dough consistency can cause sticking or splitting. If all you mean is not round, work from the center with your pin, rotating the tortilla as you go. If it’s inconsistent thickness, you can fix that through practice, or by placing two guides like rulers of the right thickness on either side to keep the pin off the table, or you can buy a rolling pin that has two built-in rings to maintain the desired height.

[quote=“Pein_11”]Is it like not evenly thick? I don’t see plates working if they are not flat, I’ve used books.
If its just not round and you want roundness, put a plate over it and just cut.[/quote]

Only my Grandma could make evenly thick tortillas by hand. Anyways, I don’t remember seeing non flat at bottom plates… It was only used in case no tortilla press was available. Disclaimer: we are talking small, corn tortillas, right? Not wheat.

I do see how a rolling pin would not work…

[quote=“Icon”]
Only my Grandma could make evenly thick tortillas by hand. Anyways, I don’t remember seeing non flat at bottom plates… It was only used in case no tortilla press was available. Disclaimer: we are talking small, corn tortillas, right? Not wheat.
I do see how a rolling pin would not work…[/quote]

Gotcha, I was on the wheat channel.
You’re talking about maiz tortillas I do see the rolling pin making one hell of a mess too…
TBH on those I’ve only seen them on the pressing machine that also heats them up, do the TWese use roll pins to flatten the spring roll “tortillas” ?

Has anyone managed to find a tortilla press in Taiwan since 2013?

Can anyone tell me what ‘tortilla press’ or ‘dough press’ is in Chinese?

Thanks in advance.

Trinity Indian Store.
Chapati press. Works like a damn

2 Likes

Thanks very much :slight_smile:

There are some for sale at restaurant supply stores, they use them in Taiwan too.

Called the Trinity Indian store… they don’t sell that unfortunately

Someone was selling one just a few weeks ago on the Secondhand/Used stuff Taipei FB page.

Can get one from Taobao https://world.taobao.com/item/562929973802.htm?spm=a21wu.10013406-tw.0.0.4e4e6c82yhbnAF

Ask a colleague to help