Totally subjective usage survey #1

Which of the forms below do you use most commonly to express the idea of deriving satisfaction from a hobby, sport or other activity?

• Like VERBING
  • Like to VERB
  • Enjoy VERBING

0 voters

Which of the options do you use most commonly to express the idea of deriving satisfaction from a hobby, sport or other activity?

It would be great if you could post to say where you’re originally from, or which variety of English you speak e.g. British, American or any other kind.

Thanks for your input!

Enjoy VERBING, California, American English.

I think it depends on the verb.

I need an option for use all almost interchangeably. I may have a preference and not realize it, but seems like 6 of one and half-a-dozen of the other to me.

“enjoy VERBING” is more formal-sounding to me. I prefer using it in formal writing, such as in university application essays.

The other two are more informal, and I use them interchangeably.

[quote=“Chris”]“enjoy VERBING” is more formal-sounding to me. I prefer using it in formal writing, such as in university application essays.

The other two are more informal, and I use them interchangeably.[/quote]

Yes, enjoy sounds formal. As if you are trying to impress people and not how you would normally talk unless you were royalty.

Australian private school perspective from many years ago.

Thank you very much to all who responded. I’m still hoping to get some more votes in the poll.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]I think it depends on the verb.[/quote]Could you give an example of how your usage would differ depending on the activity?

[quote=“Ironman”][quote=“Chris”]“enjoy VERBING” is more formal-sounding to me. I prefer using it in formal writing, such as in university application essays.

The other two are more informal, and I use them interchangeably.[/quote]

Yes, enjoy sounds formal. As if you are trying to impress people and not how you would normally talk unless you were royalty.

Australian private school perspective from many years ago.[/quote]
Good points. I also feel that “enjoy” sounds more formal and I’d probably only use it in writing.

In “Practical English Usage”, Michael Swan says that, in the US, both “like VERBING” and “like to VERB” can be used to express the idea of enjoying an activity, whereas in the UK “like VERBING” is more common for this purpose. In the UK, “like to VERB” often means something like “do the action or activity regularly or usually”.

I enjoy posting here.
I like posting here.
I like to post here.

Why did I even get involved in this thread. I really do not enjoy discussing such a silly topic.

Chou

I like VERBING

So-Cal, American English

PS: If I’m talking about my computer hobby I’d probably say “like to VERB” with whatever aspect I was mentioning.

[quote=“chodofu”]I enjoy posting here.
I like posting here.
I like to post here.

Why did I even get involved in this thread. I really do not enjoy discussing such a silly topic.

Chou[/quote]Even if you don’t enjoy it, you were the first to reply and I appreciate that!

80+ page views so far… I hope that folks will vote at least even if they don’t have time to post.

[quote=“twocs”]I like VERBING

So-Cal, American English

PS: If I’m talking about my computer hobby I’d probably say “like to VERB” with whatever aspect I was mentioning.[/quote]Thanks! Can you give me an example re. the computer hobby? Could it be more connected with the “habitual” meaning I mentioned above rather than the idea of enjoying?

Well, I can think of a nit-picky difference between to VERB and VERBing:

I like swimming.
I like to swim.

Only one could precede the following sentence:

I wish I could do it like the people on TV, but being parapalegic and all that’s unlikely.

[quote=“puiwaihin”]Well, I can think of a nit-picky difference between to VERB and VERBing:

I like swimming.
I like to swim.

Only one could precede the following sentence:

I wish I could do it like the people on TV, but being parapalegic and all that’s unlikely.[/quote]

Sure, because “I like swimming” doesn’t mean you actually do it.

I used to like swimming but since the raw sewerage has been spilling into the bay I have to enjoy just going through the motions.

[quote=“joesax”]

[quote=“twocs”]I like VERBING

So-Cal, American English

PS: If I’m talking about my computer hobby I’d probably say “like to VERB” with whatever aspect I was mentioning.[/quote]Thanks! Can you give me an example re. the computer hobby? Could it be more connected with the “habitual” meaning I mentioned above rather than the idea of enjoying?[/quote]

I just wouldn’t use the word “enjoy”. It’s not that I don’t enjoy things, it’s just that I rarely use that word. I often say “like”. In Southern California people use the word “like” in place of the word “um” or “er”. We say it all the time. “Like” is like, you know, so like, the best like choice for like everyone.

I’d probably use “like to” when discussing computers because I feel like that is what my professors would say. They would also say, “Hand in your homeworks on time,” which can lead you into some trouble when trying to teach a rule about whether or not to use “homework” as a countable noun. The fields of Mathematics and Computing have their own set of grammar rules.

I like to feed trolls on Fourmosa.
I like feeding trolls on Forumosa.
I enjoy feeding trolls on Forumosa.

Actually like is a designation of a particular penchant for a particular proclivity. Further, liking doing something as in teaching privates illegally is just something that occurs regardless of whether any particular desire is implied or is in substantial requirement. The causal relationship between the two implied inferences is totally moot. Whether one enjoys or likes a particular activity is best resolved by going back to the verbal roots of the original query.

Shall we say, as did Grubbelstein in the 1800’s (as my memory serves me),
that to like is to enjoy and that to enjoy is to recieve pleasure from what one thought one’s memories would be. As a philosopher of semantics and linguistic nuances, Grubbelstein was quite on the point in his observations of this quandry. There is nothing quite liking what one does, especially if one enjoys it or doing it. And, as Granpappy used to say, “If you don’t like it, you can lump it!”

[quote=“Ramblin Rube”]I like to feed trolls on Fourmosa.
I like feeding trolls on Forumosa.
I enjoy feeding trolls on Forumosa.

Actually like is a designation of a particular penchant for a particular proclivity. Further, liking doing something as in teaching privates illegally is just something that occurs regardless of whether any particular desire is implied or is in substantial requirement. The causal relationship between the two implied inferences is totally moot. Whether one enjoys or likes a particular activity is best resolved by going back to the verbal roots of the original query.

Shall we say, as did Grubbelstein in the 1800’s (as my memory serves me),
that to like is to enjoy and that to enjoy is to recieve pleasure from what one thought one’s memories would be. As a philosopher of semantics and linguistic nuances, Grubbelstein was quite on the point in his observations of this quandry. There is nothing quite liking what one does, especially if one enjoys it or doing it. And, as Granpappy used to say, “If you don’t like it, you can lump it!”[/quote]
:eh:

:idunno:

I say “I like [VERBING]” a slightly large percentage of the time over “I like to [VERB]”.

I think I would only say “I enjoy [VERBING]” if I were writing a personal ad, as in “I enjoy walking along the beach at sunset and drinking strawberry champagne from a coconut shell.”

Spoken by a Southeastern Ohioan transplanted from the west coast of Florida 19.5 years ago with a lot of influence from Canadian, British, Australian, New Zealand, and, of course, bad English. You could say that I’m a sociolinguistic sponge of sorts.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]I say “I like [VERBING]” a slightly large percentage of the time over “I like to [VERB]”…
Spoken by a Southeastern Ohioan transplanted from the west coast of Florida 19.5 years ago with a lot of influence from Canadian, British, Australian, New Zealand, and, of course, bad English.[/quote]Thanks!

[quote=“ImaniOU”]“I enjoy walking along the beach at sunset and drinking strawberry champagne from a coconut shell.”[/quote]Who doesn’t?

Using the progressive tense (-ing) preceded by “enjoy” feels most accurate to me.

I enjoy drinking Belgian beer.
I enjoy writing short stories.
I enjoy spending time with my family.

Yep, enjoy is my preference.

P.S. I selected the wrong choice in the poll–you’ll want to deduct one vote from the first choice, and add one to the third choice. My apologies :blush: .