Totally underrated movies?

There are some movies that I don’t watch because they get terrible reviews, or they look pretty cheesy, or they’re too girlie, or whatever. Some time later for some reason I end up seeing some, and it’s like wow. Now there are probably 10,000 (relevant) movies I never seen, and I’m not gonna get around to 99% of them probably, so I’d like to know what you consider to be a poorly-rated or unnoticed movie - not unknown, not low-budget necessarily - semi-mainstream would be good so it’s easy to buy/download/whatever - that has turned out to be much better than good. I’m gonna limit myself to 3 for myself, but there’s probably 100.

1. Unbreakable - you really don’t realize until the last 10 minutes of the movie just what exactly you’re watching - like Shyamalan’s Sixth Sense - but the build-up is perfect and all the pieces fit together, just a stunning movie to me, I actually cackled at the end when Samuel L Jackson has his last lines. I actually think this is better than the Sixth Sense, hard to like a Republican but you gotta like Willis in this

2. The Thirteenth Warrior - you can make fun of Banderas all you want, just remember his character’s really just a point of entry for the plot and a nice counterpoint that makes the real men in the movie look like supermen - which they damn well are, watch the early scenes on the boat ride to the North, Banderas all cowering while the others stand up against the storm. Lots of chopping but it makes total sense (except for Banderas learning old Norse or whatever - clever but haha uh no).

3. Reign of Fire - ridiculed as a too dark, pointless dragon movie, but the story makes total sense to me, and you gotta love McConaughey, plus Bale and the hot chick from Goldeneye

OK and one girlie movie - The Devil Wears Prada. I hate Prada, I think Anne Hathaway is a useless bore except for her boobie scene in Brokeback - but Meryl Streep is the greatest living actress and Stanley Tucci as a bald fag - they make the movie watchable and sometimes funny. Bring It On is extremely girlie but good jerkoff material ahem I heard it was anyway - but if jerkoff material is a different list entirely

1. Gettysburg–Ok, the stars in the movie aren’t top notch (Tom Berenger as Longsreet and Martin Sheen as Robert E. Lee), but I think this movie is underrated. The movie score is top notch, and the movie is a pretty accurate representation of the battle.

2. The Last Starfighter–watched this 80s movie the other night. Has aged pretty well.

3. The Beastmaster—cheesy 80s action movie with Marc Singer and Tanya Roberts…for some reason, I got to watch it every few years.

Dark City. excellent sci-fi with great sets, direction, effects, etc.

Bad Taste. deserves greater circulation. Support you local abattoir!

[quote=“urodacus”]Dark City. excellent sci-fi with great sets, direction, effects, etc.

Bad Taste. deserves greater circulation. Support you local abattoir![/quote]

Jered’s and you’ve been trying to get me to watch Bad Taste for awhile, it’s now on the d/l list, despite my general annoyance at gore, even silly gore (though Army of Darkness, Phantasm, Hellraiser I thought were worth it). Dark City absolutely but when I look at the major reviews, it actually got good reviews, in fact Ebert gave it 4 stars.

Bad Taste is certainly funnier if you catch an episode of the British cops show from the early 80s, The Professionals. another quirky comedy in a similar vein from a similar place is called Black Sheep… see if that’s available for dl somewhere.

Dark City got good critical reviews, granted, but nobody actually went and bloody saw it! Their loss.

Another Enzed film that got little press overseas was The Navigator, sometimes also called the Navigator: A mediaeval Odyssey .

[quote=“Chewycorns”]1. Gettysburg–Ok, the stars in the movie aren’t top notch (Tom Berenger as Longsreet and Martin Sheen as Robert E. Lee), but I think this movie is underrated. The movie score is top notch, and the movie is a pretty accurate representation of the battle.

1. The Last Starfighter–watched this 80s movie the other night. Has aged pretty well.

2. The Beastmaster—cheesy 80s action movie with Marc Singer and Tanya Roberts…for some reason, I got to watch it every few years.[/quote]
    Shit I totally remember those, we musta grown up same decade. Didn’t Beastmaster have that dude Marc something from V, and he had like a leopard or something runnin down the baddies, like a poor man’s Conan? Hard to believe Last Starfighter has aged well, where’d you see that, is it HBO or something?

I’m a sucker for Rev/Civ War and WW2 movies, for some reason I don’t remember watching Gettysburg, but I’m a huge Martin Sheen fan (him as Bartlett is the only thing that got me through the W years without moving to Canada - shit! I moved here instead). Thanks, man, added to the list.

beastmaster was not bad, don’t know that I’d watch it over and over again though.

I have to support your call for Devil Wears Prada, as I have had to watch it a couple of times and found that, surprise, I could! And the 13th Warrior is great too.

One of my favorite movies got terrible reviews and the author tried to get his name removed from it. But I loved it. Happy Birthday Wanda June starring Rod Stieger based on the play by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. I don’t understand it. I’ve read the play and it’s not much different.

Agree with Devil wears Prada… unbreakable was pretty good in the beginning I thought, but as soon as it became obvious that it’s about super heroes I quickly lost interest.

Pineapple Express seems to be rated not too well according to Rotten Tomatoes… still, I thought this was extremely funny. Even when not stoned.

The movie I was most surprised by (in a positive way) was Bad Lieutenant. I didn’t expect much, especially since I dislike Nicolas Cage intensely (doesn’t matter what he acts, always the same facial expression). But to my total surprise, this movie was seriously funny, and lots of fun to watch.

My favorite badly-rated movie is undoubtedly “Freddy Got Fingered”. rottentomatoes.com/m/freddy_got_fingered/

[quote=“olm”]Agree with Devil wears Prada… unbreakable was pretty good in the beginning I thought…

Pineapple Express seems to be rated not too well according to Rotten Tomatoes… still, I thought this was extremely funny. Even when not stoned.

The movie I was most surprised by (in a positive way) was Bad Lieutenant. I didn’t expect much, especially since I dislike Nicolas Cage intensely (doesn’t matter what he acts, always the same facial expression). But to my total surprise, this movie was seriously funny, and lots of fun to watch.[/quote]
I absolutely love Nicholas Cage - but only as a guy I’d drink with (who really knows tho eh?) - I also think he mostly can’t act his way out of a box. Agree with Bad Lieutenant but at least 2 major critics put it on their Best of the Year award, so underrated? Maybe lesser known, but not underrated I would think.

Unbreakable: the way they did it, it was classy, not ridiculous and cheesy, I’d give it another shot…

[edited - repeatedly]Totally agree about Pineapple Express, didn’t realize it wasn’t better received, but I used to totally despise James Franco, Hayden Christensen-type despise, until he did Milk and then Pineapple Express, he was better than Rogen even! Good call, man, underrated is right!

[quote=“TwoTongues”]I absolutely love Nicholas Cage - but only as a guy I’d drink with (who really knows tho eh?) - I also think he mostly can’t act his way out of a box. Agree with Bad Lieutenant but at least 2 major critics put it on their Best of the Year award, so underrated? Maybe lesser known, but not underrated I would think.

Dude, SPOILER ALERT on Unbreakable!!! And the way they did it, it was classy, not ridiculous, I’d give it another shot…[/quote]

Corrected the spoiler thing… now maybe remove it from your quote :wink:

For a really badly rated movie… how about Event Horizon then. More than 10 years since last time I saw it, but back then I thought it was good.

For a good but pretty unknown movie, I would suggest The Third Wave, or it’s two predecessors.

I thought Land of the Lost was some of the best slapstick i ever saw, it got panned pretty well though.