Tour de France 2012

Well, after he blew by him in the final TT. I would make it so!

You can’t say based on one week of racing – you don’t know if there was some kind of physical reason for the letdown. It’s possible that Evans has seen the end of his best days, it’s also possible that he suffered a temporary setback and could get back to form.

Van Garderen made quite a statement today for the affirmative.

Great ride for Wiggins, stamping some more authority on his win. Champagne should taste pretty good tomorrow. :thumbsup:

I got to watch last nights time trial on a HD satellite. Such a pity MOD didn’t have the TDF.

Was really good to see Wiggins win the stage with such a strong ride and finishing so well.

Congrats to the new TDF champion. How many times has the yellow jersey been worn by the same rider for 13 days straight?

[quote=“asian boy”]I got to watch last nights time trial on a HD satellite. Such a pity MOD didn’t have the TDF.

Was really good to see Wiggins win the stage with such a strong ride and finishing so well.

Congrats to the new TDF champion. How many times has the yellow jersey been worn by the same rider for 13 days straight?[/quote]

I don’t know. Three riders have worn it from start to finish, but that was in the old days. More modern(ish) riders like Merckx would deliberately lose it early doors because it is considered too tough to defend over three weeks.

I heard Voekler held it for ten stages one year

That was the best Tour ever. Absolutely brilliant, and what a finish!

It had everything, didn’t it? A yellow jersey, a green jersey, and I even spotted a spotted jersey when they were riding in the mountains.

Still, I extend a hearty congratulations to Bradley (my parents used to have a labrador called Bradley, so I have trouble taking either of his names seriously).
Nice to see Voeckler getting a couple of stages.

enough with the waterfall gifs already! :smiley:

Tour de France and the Statistics of Cheating:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vjqx2

Great tour, especially if you’re British. I did find some of the days in week 3 to be particularly boring, though. There was hardly any position changing in the top 10, the main exception being Evans slipping down.

Sagan and Voeckler managed to add a fair bit of colour, though.

Postscript.
Will the Queen take away the knighting?

Wow, what a thread bump.

If Tdf doesn’t strip him of his achievements for 2012, they’ll look really really bad after what happened with Armstrong.

As for retracting the knight status, can they do that? I wouldn’t be surprised if they took it back. Sends the wrong message to younger generation, me thinks.

One minute they love you…

You can’t win the thing on mineral water.

My guess is the UCI won’t act unless there’s hard evidence of actual doping rather than misuse of TUEs. Don’t know if Sky will drop their sponsorship, they should, and Brailsford should be hounded out of the sport for the hypocrite he quite obviously is.

Collateral damage should be Froome stripped of the Vuelta crown and banned for 6 to 12 months.

Looking forward to Geraint Thomas riding for GC this year, he won’t hang around Sky beyond that.

I do not know how much standing a Commons report will have within WADA and UCI so I would concur, and I would probably go one step further and say that this report is fairly worthless, given that Wiggins was approved by the UCI for taking drugs.

I haven’t read the report, but that article seem to just say that a bunch of dudes think that Wiggins took it unethically, not illegally.

With the caveat that if Brailsford is found to have lied under oath he’s finished. The report says they were shown conclusive evidence the jiffy bag contained triamcinolone acetonide or some such steroid and not flu or asthma medicine.

One doesn’t come in a jiffy on the TDF. It’s an endurance test.

1 Like

Well, at least one sane, rational comment, amidst a load of nonsense.

Stripped of his Knighthood?! Stripped of his TdF title?! Hahahahahahaha

There is no evidence he broke the rules. Unethical, no doubt, but a TUE is a TUE. It was approved by the authorities. That’s the whole point.

Quite WTF this has to do with a bunch of MPs is beyond me. What is their expertise on pro’ sport and drugs? Why is British tax being wasted on this hypocritical bolleaux? I read something earlier which sums it up for me:

“I am definitely no @teamsky fan, and have always questioned their honesty. But does anyone else get the irony that a bunch of liars and scumbags get to come up with this report. MPs are without doubt the most corrupt of all people. Pot/Kettle…”

I just spotted that the original article was from The Mail Online. Yeah, that bastion of truth, honour and all things sweet and cuddly. Scum.

Are you sure about this?

“If Tdf doesn’t strip him of his achievements for 2012, they’ll look really really bad after what happened with Armstrong.”

Are you seriously suggesting this is the same thing?

The report states:

“This does not constitute a violation of the World Anti-Doping Agency code, but it does cross the ethical line…”

Ethics. Pro sport. Hahahahaha