Tour de France 2021

Well, the tour had a good start. With the return of spectators, meant the return of idiots.

Don’t be that “guy” because here’s the list of injuries that incurred:

Riders injured in stage 1 of the 2021 Tour de France

• DNF: Jasha Sütterlin (Team DSM) - hematoma to the hand
  • DNF: Ignatas Konovalovas (Groupama-FDJ) - head trauma
  • DNF: Cyril Lemoine (B&B Hotels-KTM) - broken ribs, punctured lung, cut on scalp
  • DNS stage 2: Marc Soler (Movistar) - fractured radius, left and right, fractured ulna
  • Aurelien Paret-Peintre (AG2R Citroën) - contusion to left knee
  • Ben O’Connor (AG2R Citroën) - 10 stitches on left forearm
  • Dorion Godon (AG2R Citroën) - road rash
  • Benoit Cosnefroy (AG2R Citroën) - road rash, stitches on right arm
  • Nans Peters (AG2R Citroën) - bruised shoulder, road rash
  • Michaël Schär (AG2R Citroën) - neck pain
  • Xandro Meurisse (Alpecin-Fenix)
  • Kristian Sbaragli (Alpecin-Fenix) - stitches on lower lip
  • Tim Merlier (Alpecin-Fenix) - contusions on knees
  • Dan McLay (Arkea-Samsic) - back pain
  • Clément Russo (Arkea-Samsic) - thoracic trauma
  • Amund Grøndahl Jansen (BikeExchange) - lumbar trauma, stitches on right elbow
  • Jesús Herrada (Cofidis) - contusion to hip
  • Pierre-Luc Périchon (Cofidis) - contusion to right calf
  • Dries Devenyns (Deceuninck-Quickstep)
  • Søren Kragh Andersen (DSM)
  • Casper Pedersen (DSM) - stitches
  • Chris Froome (Israel Start-Up Nation) - hip and thoracic trauma
  • Reto Hollenstein (Israel Start-Up Nation) - thoracic trauma
  • Mike Teunissen (Jumbo-Visma) - road rash, trauma to elbow, hip
  • Marc Soler (Movistar) - fractures on both arms
  • Marc Hirschi (UAE Team Emirates) - separated shoulder

According to some reports, race organizers are looking to take legal action against the spectator.

2 Likes

Some suggestions are that the “Guy” was a “Girl” but as the idiot has bolted from the scene of their stupidity, its gender isn’t really known yet. Pity there isn’t an overhead view from a chopper which may have shown which way it ran. Needs to be named and shamed Taiwanese style, and given the bill for damage to bikes and bodies by the affected Teams.

Edit, and one of the injured - Marc Soler - broke both arms. Part of the sentence to be that the idiot can be the one to wipe Marc’s posterier for the next month or so, as he wont be able to.

2 Likes

Their foot shouldn’t even be in the road, let alone a massive sign. Hope they catch sign-holder.

I saw some shots or highlights of stage 2 and people had

“WANTED: ALLEZ OPI OMI” signs and “F U ALLEZ OPI OMI” signs up.

“In this case, according to article 222-20 of the Penal Code, the spectator would risk a maximum penalty of one year of imprisonment as well as a fine of 15,000 euros,” reported L’Equipe.

That’s heavy.

That’s the list of injuries from both crashes.

Looks like a great tour this year.

Sadly, the first week usually involves lots of crashes, usually caused by the riders themselves though.

I look forward to another Slovenian Tug-O-War.

1 Like

I like to believe the first crash caused the second crash…even though I have not found any evidence to support that claim.

Well the good news is Ineos are the new Movistar. Going in with four leaders and then finding out none of them look particularly flash. be cool if Carapaz can get his mojo working in the mountains.

1 Like

Movistar probably upset now because team classification was the only thing they had a chance of winning.

I remember Sky was the only team to take that title from them in the past…7 or 8 tours?

Movistar have won 5 of the last 6. Sky interrupted the party in 2017.

Cav vs Caleb tonight. Gonna be a cracker…

Is it on free TV?

EDIT: I’ve found it. But it costs.

Nah. Eurosport on cable is an extra NT.99

1 Like

How much!

NTD99

You can also subscribe to GCN for a month. NTD240.

I can watch it for free through a little grey grid on my TV.

I tried that too. :joy:

Couldn’t face another year of jumping round illegal streams only to face a frozen screen just as HTC-Colombia launch their lead out…now I got GCN across three different devices.

I watch it on SBS Australia - its FTA there but they also stream on their Website, which is Geo-Restricted but a VPN in Australia overcomes that.

They won’t answer the phone. I just get Sinatra on loop. Clearly my 99NT isn’t good enough.

Saw it on the news and that crash was jaw-dropping. Dozens of bikers all crashed into one another it was painful to watch.