Tour de Taiwan

Anything interesting happening in the tour this year? I’m watching a little on TV (recaps) but it’s in Chinese and I have no idea if it’s interesting.

Did they pick all of the ugly parts of Taiwan for the tour? Ending in Guanziling was probably alright but I’m not seeing a lot of routes that I think should be cycled.

yes, as far as I know they have chose all the ugly flat parts of Taiwan. My guess is that lawyers were listened to.

What uninspiring routes. Well at least all the best roads will remain relatively light on cycling traffic, like they are now. Let the “sit at 7-11 with my $150,000 carbon race bike and smoke cigarettes” crowd remain on lame roads like the 3.

Yes I checked out the stage routes a few weeks ago and they are awful. Not even one stage in the mountains or on the east coast. Are they trying to make it ugly and boring? :aiyo:

Stage 1: Dapeng Bay (a 15km circuit)
Stage 2: Tainan
Stage 3: Changhua County
Stage 4: Taichung City
Stage 5: Taoyuan County
Stage 6: New Taipei City
Stage 7: Taipei City

Terrible. I’m sure many guys here on forumosa could easily come up with a better race than that simply off the top of their heads.

Yawn. Every year, the same. There’s so much great riding out there too - how much effort does it take to close a mountain road for 2 hours?

Aparently, too much fracking effort. The locals do not respect traffic police…or the rule of law… i ran a marathon in Kaohsiung - admittedly the road needed to be closed for more like 4 hours in a down-town area, but the police seemed unable to establish nor enforce many closures. Those guys live in the mountains for a reason.

They close down places like Taroko every year for a marathon. And they closed down major city streets for this race. I don’t think it would be much more difficult to close down some mountain roads. I’m guessing that they have some warped sense that said we need to showcase the biggest cities. I honestly cannot understand why they chose to cycle around Dapeng Bay 12 times. It’s just a bunch of ugly oyster/fish/seafood farms. Once I planned a daytrip there with a gf because it was a ‘scenic’ area. What a major disappointment.

I marvel at their choice of routes every year. Don’t the organizers have any *&%^$# imagination. I can understand doing ONE route in a major city to showcase the architecture :laughing: , but ignoring some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in this part of the world is just beyond the pale.

I’m curious if it’s because of politics or perhaps if they think they’ll get more spectators and exposure in urban areas. Or maybe they really do have no idea whatsoever. That wouldn’t surprise me.

:s

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]I’m curious if it’s because of politics or perhaps if they think they’ll get more spectators and exposure in urban areas. Or maybe they really do have no idea whatsoever. That wouldn’t surprise me.

:s[/quote]
i think the spectators in urban areas must come into it.

Anyone riding out on Saturday to see it? It’ll be right round the coast road, Danshui to Jinshan, plus a hill climb up what looks like the back way to Fengguizui. They probably won’t stop at the Jinshan 7/11 where the knobs hang out but you never know…

They might as well…

Oh and I’ve decided to enter the race on a Enperur folding bike. Anyone want to sponsor me?