🌏 đŸ’” Tourism Promotion | NT$5000 for visitors to Taiwan

It is a shame, live music is something I miss from England. I could always find a band that I knew on. Here, I think the last band who I knew came earlier this year–Nightwise, but I was in England.

I think before that, we’re looking at the time Slipknot appeared maybe. Or Rob Zombie–whichever came first.

If the goal is to discourage long term, expats, this is a brilliant move. There is money for passport holding citizens, and there is money for foreigners who don’t live here. But foreigners who live here? Fuck those guys.

4 Likes

She did say liveable. You living there yet?

It’s liveable. But right now I’m in a legal fight with the agents about their subletting.

1 Like

It needs to work on its search engine optimisation and marketing. Search for Taiwan, you generally get pictures of Taipei 101 and some articles about China invading with pictures of fighter jets.

2 Likes

Tourist arrivals since 2002.

If you can see, from 2010 to 2019, tourist arrivals more than doubled

1 Like

You’re joking, right?

1 Like

Not just the North Coast. Huge numbers of places, ranging from Tainan to Taitung, have really improved compared to 20 years ago. I don’t think newbies here fully understand how bad things were back in the day . . .

Guy

1 Like

Although I dont disagree, it is a waste of money. But these sentiments are the literal definition of entitled. I, for one, would be grateful for 100nt if it’s a gift. god damn. I have yet to see any money in my hands from all of the MANY taiwanese welfare projects going to truly well off people. 30k, fuck yes. please. I constantly watch countless restaraunts, farmers, manufacturers and so on getting money all the time here. it is honestly quite absurd how much th gov hands out to greedy people. I say cut them off and let them actually earn a wage. then stimulate actual innovation and expansion. rather than give rich people.new toy money. It is gross how much this happens here. and we still only have decent pensions and doctors for government workers and the rich. :nauseated_face:

You’re just as likely to see the kids nowadays at Louisa Coffee as opposed to hanging out at the night market. Things are changing for sure.

Guy

I hate those kids taking all the space in Louisa cafe with their books pretending to study but using phone all the time.
Like three stories all filled with kids and teens.

2 Likes

I could see how this might dampen the numbers of arrivals.

Guy

1 Like

is the type of tourist Taiwan wants the type that only does single word google searches and comes with on such empty minded intentions? One might hope not. but given the overpriced shopping tourism here, that might actually be the target. idiots with some money.

otherwise, Google has great results for Taiwan for anyone that can spell :slight_smile:

Examples of pretty simple google for various different interests

Anyone that isnt willing to spend the 30 seconds it took me to google the above in Taiwan doesnt deserve to see our treasures.

2 Likes

Destination branding doesn’t usually start with a Google search

2 Likes

Given the magnitudes more money that the largest corporations and their cronies in the government get in handouts, I don’t think of my complaints as entitled. I can name quite a few projects where billions of USD worth of TW government money was squandered in projects that completely fell apart or weren’t even finished and are sitting around falling into disrepair and becoming massive safety risks due to the vast majority of the money that had been allocated going straight into the pockets of the people at the top. Those people got the money from the government having made up totally fake reasons why they needed it, knowing full well they would face zero consequences when the project they planned on having fail failed. But I should be grateful there’s a fraction of what I make in a month available as “mortgage assistance”, because I sound entitled? (Jk, theres no way any big nose would be getting that money any way). It would be one thing if government money was used to build useful things and support the creation of real, sustainable, life-supporting jobs and only the poor, old, and disabled got “entitlements”, but that’s not what’s happening here. What’s happening here is excellent welfare benefits for the tippy tippy top and “you should be grateful you get anything, you miserable serf” for everyone else.

I don’t want them here anyway, there is enough money in Taiwan’s technology sector. Let’s just make the place nicer for people that live here not some western backpackers.
Let’s get the bloody side walks sorted for ourselves :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I agree with you on the waste of government money. absolutely. Also note I am saying you, as in NZ the person. Just all of us as society in general. I think it is objectively true that society here is overall quite entitled. and the massive quantity of welfare projects in Taiwan only promotes further entitlement. I have big.issue with this because not only are people.sucking the teet, but the tert is so far away from anything efficient and oriented it is absurd to the point of just admitting it is vote buying. retarded to put it mildly and politely.

But I am also absolutely saying anyone that receives 30k free money and complains after is entitled. There may be a few exceptions, I am sure there are. But the argument that someone else got more so poor me is essentially the definition of entitled. For me, I assume I need to make my own way. not because I am an immigrant, I lived the same way in my country of birth. I feel we should all think this way as a matter of course. I am grateful for any help I get. usually in the form of health care and roadways, but I pay for that as well. I come.from canada, where we have poor health care and roadways in.the province I come from (compared to taiwan) and we pay much higher taxes. so I am entitled to push for better service, but if I feel the need to complain about a hand out on ethical grounds I feel I should first not accept it, also based on ethical grounds. Perhaps the only thing worse than entitlement would be hypocrisy.

But essentially, my point is anyone saying free 30k isnt enough is absolutely entitled if it is free money :slight_smile: it is 30k more than 0. Say thanks.

It is vote buying.

But I will disagree with you about being grateful for the handouts that are available for the common person. While some people believe that “corporations are people too” (name that quote!), when the corporations and corrupt government officials are getting 99% of the handouts to squander and the remaining 1% is going into vote buying in form of relatively worthless handouts, there is no reason to say “thank you”. It’s not “someone else has more and I want more too”. It’s “a few people ran off with the entire pie and told us to bow down and say thank you for the crumbs”. Your (and my and everyone else’s) own hard work will never, ever, ever, ever gain the wealth the people at the top have due to their ability to stick their hands out and freely reach into the bank of the government whenever they want it. The average person cannot, no matter how hard they try, no matter how motivated they are, get ahead of corporations that get money from the government. It is not possible because that is literally how the game is set up.

So, it made the CNN News, but the title of the article seems waaaaaaay offfff. Or they are just making it click bait by not mentioning the destination until after you have clicked it.

I mean, WTF? Is Taiwan a popular destination? I vote absolutely fucking not. It’s so not a popular destination for many reasons.

I have never, ever met anyone who said anything like, “Wow! Taiwan
awesome food, awesome beaches, awesome friendly people. Yep, Taiwan is definitely on my bucket list of must see places before I die.”

Perhaps this is just a mix up and the author of the article thought that they were writing about Thailand?

This popular destination will pay tourists to visit

3 Likes

I have met many, but they are Asian

3 Likes