🌏 Tourism - Taiwan | Next year Taiwan may be the top destination for Aussie tourists

Taiwan wants to protect its numbers.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make? Indonesia has 5 main islands and some 17,000 islands in total. I referred specifically to Bali, for which tourism is responsible for over half of the island’s economy. It’s the poster child for a tourism-driven economy.

If Bali hadn’t become one of the world’s top tourist destinations, the tens of thousands of people living there whose livelihoods are directly supported by tourism (and the many others who are indirectly supported) would be far poorer than they were just before the pandemic struck.

1 Like

Indonesia’s economy is mostly manufacturing.

Sigh. We’re talking about Bali, which is well-established as a tourist-dependent economy. We’re not talking about the rest of Indonesia. I don’t know what point you’re trying to make by talking about Indonesia generally.

If you really don’t think that Bali’s economy is heavily dependent on tourism, just use Google.

2 Likes

Well it seems Cargo is the replacement for biz class fares. United (the USA airline) flies to Sydney and Melbourne with no passengers on some flights, only Cargo. (MEL in fact is not allowing Int;l passengers till they fix the arrival holding cells). So the fact that Qantas could carry people is a plus.

1 Like

Don’t forget the Kiwis.

Bali gets the vast majority of its tourists from other Asian countries: China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, ASEAN and India. It’s a myth from 20 years ago that it’s dependent on Aussie tourists. Many of them are just drunk bogans anyway who barely spend money other than on booze and prostitutes. If Indonesia had a better functioning govt they would try to do travel bubbles with China etc

1 Like

Huh?

China isn’t doing a travel bubble with Indonesia. Countries look at travel bubbles when they have similar situations. The virus is raging in Indonesia. According to the Chinese government at least, there’s almost no virus in China.

Bali had originally planned to reopen to international tourists in September but the Indonesian central government stopped that, most likely because they knew the situation still wasn’t under control. If they wanted to, they could throw open the borders and let chaos reign.

They usually fly cargo with passengers on the same jet?

China Airlines has been flying to Sydney daily for months but 6 out of 7 days (or even 13 of 14) don’t show on Airport Arrivals and Departures - so presumably just Cargo.

Yes, Cargo does travel on passenger flights, but lack of passenger baggage means more room for Cargo. Taiwan is a big Air Cargo airport, so it softens the blow a little for the major airlines.

My Australian friends don’t even know where Taiwan is. Many mistake it for Thailand.

1 Like

Yep, Taiwan need not worry about hordes of drunken Australians, they would high tail it out when they are unable to find bars in abundance… as would the poms.

2 Likes

Actually it’s been bad since the volcanic eruptions there.

Taiwan’s EVA Air and China Airlines are 2 or the 3 profitable airlines, so I guess Qantas could also make some needed cash. [China Airlines And EVA Air Post Profits Amid Ongoing Crisis - Simple Flying]
https://simpleflying.com/china-airlines-and-eva-air-post-profits-amid-ongoin
g-crisis/

1 Like

Never known an Australian to worry about a volcano.

It isn’t. Bali definitely relies on Australian, and by extension, Western tourists.

Tourist arrivals in Bali (2019)

1. Australia - 1,225,425
  2. China - 1,185,764
  3. India - 371,850
  4. United Kingdom - 283,539
  5. United States - 273,317
  6. Japan - 257,897
  7. Korea - 213,324
  8. France - 206,814
  9. Germany - 194,773
  10. Malaysia - 184,477
2 Likes

It’s interesting how much lower the Chinese tourist average spend is compared to other tourists. Supports my theory that trying to attract Chinese tourists is as big a mistake as trying to attract British working class. They’re easy to attract and you get the numbers, but you end up losing everyone else and they don’t spend much.

1 Like

Yeah I’m saying if the Indo govt wasnt so incompetent they would control the virus in Bali. It’s a freaking island it should not be so hard to contain. Then once contained they could do travel bubbles with Asian countries. But whatever, it’s way past the point this would happen.

What? Taiwan has never Been a major tourist location

1 Like

A lot of Chinese are fucking loaded though