Tourist on Ketogenic diet in Taiwan

I have been to Taipei twice, many years ago… I am now considering returning to Taiwan for an extended visit - I would like to go to Kaohsiung, Hualien, Tainan and other places. However, I am worried that I won’t find anything to eat… I have been on a ketogenic diet for eight months now - I don’t eat carbs (sugar, cereals, starches, legumes, fruirs), vegetable oils (except for coconut oil and extra-virgin olive oil) and fried food. Being in hotels I shall not be able to cook. Will I find anything to eat? Where can I find akready cooked meat (chicken, pork…) without rice or noodles…? Is there ready-to-eat meat in the supermarkets? What about boiled eggs, salads, avocados? I eat a lot of sardines/mackerel/salmon in own juice/brine/extra-virgin olive oil - will I find these in Taiwan? What about macadamias and walnuts?
Please advise… Thank you!!

Your best bet by a large margin is to get a Costco membership (your international one still works here) and get their canned chicken/tuna/salmon.

They have lots of nuts too.

That’ll be your life here. Don’t believe any place has no carbs unless explicitly advertised and counted (and even then…) Even if there is no visible batter etc (which there will be often anyway), they will have found a way to sneak some sugar in, whether its in the sauce or the marinade.

2 Likes

I don’t have a Costco membership. What is Costco - a supermarkets chain? Do I need a membership to shop there?? Are there Costco supermarkets in every Taiwanese city? I will not have a car.

It’s Google time now.

We also have an in-depth if bloated thread about it here, specific to it’s Taiwanese incarnation.

I have seen it… it’s for people who live in Taiwan and have access to a kitchen where they can cook.their food… I’m a tourist, I’m going to be in hotels. In countries like Thailand, you can buy ready-to-eat chicken/pork in supermarkets… also buffet salads where you can choose what you want and pay according to the quantity you bought… also boiled eggs in convenience stores… Anything like that in Taiwan?

You think I am suggesting you buy raw canned chicken and fish?

In Taiwan, the convenience stores are plentiful, but there is almost nothing that will fit your macros on keto.

It’s Costco or bust, basically, at least for staples. You may stand a chance if there are enough specialty restaurants in Taipei, but I can’t speak to that.

You can have a look at the Keto thread here also for what people are passing off as Keto in Taiwan.

2 Likes

What about other supermarkets apart from Costco? The last time I was in Taipei was in 2013 - I don’t remember seeing any Costco, I do remember several Carrefour… I hope to spend mord time in Kaohsiung than Taipei this time…

There’s a huge eating in Taiwan keto thread here but to save you the trouble. This is all fairly commonly found eating out food.

A few available things in Taiwan.

• Hakka style Pork belly and mustard greens
  • Hot Pot meat and vegetables only in clear water or simple broth
  • Barbeque meat no sauce
  • German sausage and sauerkraut
  • Pork knuckle
  • Egg and cheese omelette
  • Salad
  • Sashimi
    Low carb option on hamburgers

There are lots of grocery stores around if you want to pick up avocados or olives or cheese or lunch meats or canned meats or nuts or

Some Western places have keto or low carb options.

4 Likes

Basically none of what he said is going to be low carb except salad with no dressing, sashimi, or if the BBQ you’re having is at a friend’s house - or if you see them make the omelette from start to finish.

The reason I mentioned the keto thread is so you can see what the standard for “Keto” passes as on this forum and take things with a grain of salt.

Supermarkets have veggies but the only premade stuff even close to keto are several (few out of the many) brands of those meatballs from hotpots that you can just microwave. I’ve been to all of them in Kaohsiung except RT Mart. Maybe you’ll hit it lucky with that one.

So back to what I was saying, there are two Costco in Kaohsiung, one in the north and one in the south.

2 Likes

7-11 and familymart has good food for those on keto diets. Chicken breast, salad, eggs, etc.

3 Likes

What about canned fish?..

1. This place is keto:.
    酮版 低醣料理餐廳 ketoneversion
    No. 9號, Alley 5, Lane 147, Section 1, Jilong Road, Xinyi District, Taipei City, 110
    02 2748 3285
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/Xcm6itJmUWy4T8Jk6
  2. I also like this place Doris salads Doris Salads 多的是沙拉
    No. 46號, Andong Street, Da’an District, Taipei City, 106
    0937 111 938
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/7p4RuLopwRLWjGPWA
  3. Baba Kevin. Get salad for all your sides. He has turkey through Christmas. Great beef, pork, and lamb.Baba Kevin’s American Barbecue Co., Ltd. (Minsheng)
    No. 6號, Lane 115, Section 2, Minsheng East Road, Zhongshan District, Taipei City, 10491
    02 5594 1188
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/Lr6xUZTt7vj1XisHA
  4. It’s more expensive, but keto type food at can be found at regular restaurants:
    Order beef soup without noodles.
    Order meat and add a vegetable
    7-11 eggs, salad
  5. Grocery store eating. Cheese, vegetables
  6. Hungry for a steak at a good price. Head over to Le Blanc.Le Blanc Taipei
    No. 183號, Section 1, Da’an Road, Taipei City, 106
    02 2700 7770
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/BLyNubVLtmHB3piZA
  7. Agree with the Costco suggestions. If your hotel has a fridge, cheese and cooked chicken there. Also bags of raw nuts.
2 Likes

[quote=“Cora, post:11, topic:186088, full:true”]
What about canned fish?..
All the convenience stores have crap canned tuna. Is that OK for the diet? They also have tea eggs - are they allowed?

You’ll probably find a supermarket like Wellcome or PX Mart near your hotel. You can get better quality canned fish from them. Maybe buy a raw steak and pay the hotel restaurant chef to cook it for you the way your diet dictates?

I only eat sardines/mackerel/salmon in own juice/brine/extra-virgin olive oil. Occasionally tuna if it’s in water/brine/extra-virgin olive oil. Am I likely to find any of these at supermarkets?.. I forgot about Welkom…
What are tea eggs?? :thinking::hushed:

Yes, that canned fish should be available - but not in convenience stores. It will need to be a supermarket. Tea eggs are eggs poached in tea.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your long reply!!! Very much appreciated :heavy_heart_exclamation:
The problem is… I have been to Taipei twice before, and this time I would like to travel around the country… Kaohsiung, Hualien, Tainan… I was even fantasizing about going to Alishan mountain or the Sun & Moon lake…

1 Like

Yes. Costco has albacore tuna spring water. Tea eggs are steeped in soy sauce, and tea. You can find the soft cooked ones in the refrigerated section of convenience stores. Also hot ones in the center.
Also, Citysuper and Jason’s will have more imported foods.

1 Like

Enjoy the trip. Many great places to see and you’ll find plenty of food options.

1 Like

Thank you! Are Citysuper and Jason’s supermarket chains?

Yes. More import items. Wellcome used to have more imports but I noticed recently they’ve scaled back. Some Wellcomes, carrefours have a little more Western food if their neighborhood demographic supports it.

1 Like