Tourivism strikes South Korea!

Problem is they still can’t. Most of them. If they come to Taiwan on tour groups, they are taken to specific, Chinese owned stores. With such captive market, it is doubtful they care about quality.

If the owners of “famous” stores receive their patronage, they do so by bribing the Chinese tour operators, hence, also influencing prices and quality. Chinese tour guides make sure everyone has to buy something…or the metal curtains won’t come up.

1 Like

It’s tourism + activism. (I just made it up, in the spirit of “voluntourism”.)

Never heard of arrivism. Is that like where you say, screw the journey, arrival really is the reward? :ponder:

1 Like

I should have gotten that; it was staring me in the face.[quote=“yyy, post:22, topic:158958”]
Never heard of arrivism. Is that like where you say, screw the journey, arrival really is the reward? :ponder:
[/quote]

Dictionary.com says it’s “the conduct or condition of an arriviste,” and that an arriviste is “a person who has recently acquired unaccustomed status, wealth, or success, especially by dubious means and without earning concomitant esteem.”

I didn’t know the above two words myself. I stumbled on them while trying to figure out what was on the manteau side of your portmanteau. :slight_smile:

Yours is better. I should have figured that one out all by my lonesome.

1 Like