Tower Records R.I.P

The Tower Records closing is sad news for me, in a sentimental sense because I went to high school in Sacramento California, which is home to the original Tower Records. And it should be noted that the original Tower Records did have an actual tower just like the one on the Tower tee shirts. Last time I was in Sacramento, about 11 years ago, the Tower was a caf& and the store had moved across the street.

But still it was the original. Another icon of my youth bites the dust. As to the local Tower, the only one I ever frequented was the Hsimingding one; I thought the prices high (even for Taiwan) and selection marginal although they were the only place where I ever saw in Taiwan a decent selection of reggae. But that was only for about a year.

Jah Rules,
RastaBrian

There is still FNAC, right? Or are they planning to close up shop as well?

FNAC is still open

FNAC has moved most of it’s outlets to the Mitsukoshi department stores, e.g. Nanjing West Road (Zhong Shan MRT) and near Warner Village (XinYi).
The one at Asiaworld (corner of Nanjing and Dunhua) is still there, too, but the one at the Future World Center near the Taipei Main Station has closed down.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Rascal”][quote[too expensive. Won’t miss them …[/quote]The Tower Records in London must be 5 times the size of the ones here, HMV and Virgin even bigger.
[/quote] I remember the first time I went to both Towers in Taipei.I ran there in great anticipation of what I might find and the bargains on offer.It was an awful experience,couldn’t believe I was in Tower. Tower in other countries is like a prestigious CD buyers’heaven.It’s fairly big and looks nice when you’re inside.The Tower in Taipei was grubby,dim-lit and lacked any atmosphere. I wonder where Taiwanese people buy their CDs from.I just can’t buy music from a store called Rose…it puts me off. And FNAC is the kind of store where you’d have bought your dad that Louis Armstrong tape for his Xmas present! Atleast now I can try and control the money I spend on CDs and improve my Chinese by turning on the radio.Even better idea, why not buy an acoustic and write your own songs in Chinese? Make your own music and be the first foreign artist singing in Chinese!

That would be GungHwa (what’t the correct romanization?) market or some night market - you know, those ‘originals’ for a few dollars only. See lot’s of people at Rose Records, too.

PS: Seems Tower pulled out not only from Taiwan but also from Thailand …

And what’s wrong with Satchmo?

What’s wrong with Andy Williams too? Oh wait he sucks…