Toys you had as a kid

The Death Star

But where is the trashcompactor that is supposed to be at the bottom? That was the best part of the toy.

Boba Fett

He always used to win. He’d get Luke trapped in the trashcompacter and it was always game over.

I became a part of the dark side at a young age.

Caps! Packaging them tightly into a confined space with a bot. Whoohee!

Mercifully only one friend lost a thumb therough such endeavours, but I did lose a lot skin to these:

And of course, ma stick:

HG

Both!

Ah, yes! So true! Memories!

Talking about gunpowder, when we were teenagers my friends and I used to take an old tire, place a brick of firecrackers in it and light the fuse. Then we’d roll the tire down the sloped surface of the school playground that was in our neighborhood. The bizarre noise it produced echoed through the neighborhood!

Cap gun???

SPUD gun!!!

Chlorine and brake fluid! “Your turn to shake it.” Shudder!

HG

Maerklin electric train (size HO), I got the starter package when I was very young. Expanded it over the years and installed it on a self-made landscape. Sold everything when I left for Asia.

Lego, in particular LEGOLAND Space Classic. I think I have all but two items from the beginning in 1979 through 83, still keeping it stored at home.

Hundreds of small, uni-color plastic soldiers. If I recall correctly they were only about 1-1.5cm tall and came in bags of 50 or 100, taking over the living room (a couch and some blanket were ideal for landscaping).

A small suitcase full of Matchbox and some Siku cars, though later I was more into Darda Cars and their cool tracks.

PlayBig figures and cars (Firebrigade, Construction and Military). Also had the North- and South-American soldiers, with canons that could actually shoot little plastic balls. Donated it all to a orphanage before I left (plus various other toys).

And, my weapon of choice at the time, a bow & arrow. Good that I was a lousy shot with that, else some streetlights would have suffered serious damage, and I would probably have been in a lot of trouble … :smiley:

[quote=“irishstu”]Cap gun???

SPUD gun!!![/quote]

I remember those!!

Also, when I lived in England, I remember “conkers”!

Tinker toys, creepy crawlers, lincoln logs, and then click-clacks in 5th grade…until one of my cousins got a nice knot on his head.

Huang Guang Chen: I was just wondering whether kids growing up in countries where adults were less likely to own real guns played with cap guns/toy guns or if it was just something that twisted killer/warrior societies inflicted on their children… Sounds like you, at least, knew about cap guns though. :smiley: You’re going to have to help me out on the reference to chlorine and brake fluid though… what were my friends and I missing out on there?

Chris: We never thought of the firecrackers-in-the-tire idea. Sounds great though! :thumbsup:

I was actually just thinking about all this stuff I used to do as a kid the other day, and found myself absolutely horrified at the prospect of my own son doing any of it. :slight_smile: He’s only 9 months old now, so I suppose it’s a bit early to start worrying, but it still alarms me when I think about it. We used to make ramp “jumps” for our bicycles that were little short of suicide runs. We used to stand on the seat of our bikes with one leg and coast downhill with both hands on the handle-bars. I lost count of the number of firecrackers that exploded in my hand as I was trying to light the fuse and throw them. Jumping out of windows onto trampolines, BB guns, smoke bombs, too much to count…

sigh

Great memories, but I just can’t imagine myself letting my kid do the same thing. I guess this is something I need to work on in the coming years. Odds are that he’ll do stuff like that whether I want him to or not, and it’s probably safer all around if he doesn’t feel like he needs to hide stuff like that from me.

Getting back to toys specifically, did anyone else build these model rockets?

I recall building my first with my dad. It was painstakingly crafted, painted with detail and care, fitted with decals, and launched just once… on a beautiful sunny spring day. After that, as I recall, the goal of my friends and I became to turn them from ‘vertical toys’ to ‘horizontal toys’… Okay I think I’m seeing a pattern here. Better stop reminiscing before I get truly worried… :astonished: :wink:

I remember having Bilofix. Like Meccano for littler kids. I couldn’t have been a day over 27. Ahhh! Memories.
I can’t admit to our favourite toys though. I’d get shunned by the f.com community for sure. :blush: Suffice it to say they involved bangers with extra-long fuses, dead herring and unwary seagulls. Perhaps not my proudest moments.

Are those the posters that are related to herrings and seagulls?

Im another big Lego fan. Lego used to cost a packet back in Australia because it was taxed under ‘petroleum’ products for some reason. I remember one xmas my nan went overseas and bought back heaps of it… Ahh good memories :slight_smile:

Hula hoops, Yo Yo’s and Marbles all had their ‘phases’

Rubiks Cube

Nintendo Game N Watch handheld games

And I had a fantastic monkey puppet that I took everywhere with me, his arms used to wrap around your neck and he had fluffy white hair. After I washed him one day and put him in the clothes dryer, he looked scary… Poor Leroy :frowning: I didnt realise that his acrylic hair would melt

I didn’t play with toys, according to my grandmother. I read a lot and played with dolls, but that was about all. I built things; little cairns in the garden, ‘igloos’ in the winter, ‘treehouses’ in the summer, no sister allowed in. Trapped animals in flower pots. I made perfume from rose petals and blossoms and stuff.

A little older and I rode my bike a lot.

well i don’t wanna make a generality of it all,but from what i’ve seen so far,those posters i “liked” most previously turn out to have had the same type of toys i had when they were little,coincidentally ,those i rank as knobs and dickheads all had the expensive stuff,go figure

What is this? I’ve heard it mentioned by many Americans over the years, but never actually seen anything with that name.

I found a US website for the Lego group, but even that doesn’t have an ‘s’

Lego was great. The best bit was the fact that the little wheels had axles made of metal. You could leave them lying around the approaches to your bedroom like caltraps to prevent irate fathers creeping up and catching you not being asleep like you were supposed to be.

My sister ate hers. On my insistence.

She was fine. No permanent damage. Physically, anyway…

I and my cousins had the toys that made by my uncle.
Like paper airplane,Taiwan traditional toys(I can’t remember the name exactly) which were very funny.

VOLTRON

V O L T R O N

Little plastic army men, cowboys & Indians, zoo animals

Plastic guns, tanks

G.I. Joe–about ten inches tall with cloth uniform and hair that fell out, like mange. (This would have been towards the end of the U.S./Vietnam War)

Superhero “action figures” (except they weren’t called that yet)–Superman, Batman, Shazam, Spider-Man, etc… These were about five inches high, molded plastic with rubbery “underwear” area which tended to crack. They also sold foot-high versions with cloth costumes. If I had bought those (or better yet, their Star Trek equivalents) I’d be rich today.

Lincoln logs, an Erector set

a Super-Ball (little rubber ball whose name inspired the Super-Bowl)

Little rubber guy with a parachute that would open when you threw him up in the air

Spaceship models (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, The Black Hole)

Sports equipment, punching bag, bikes, stuff like that

Lots of books

Curtains depicting the Apollo moon landings

TC you needn’t reply in this thread,we all gathered that you got your first sub-machine gun at the tender age of 4(gifted to you after you accurately named all navy ships within the USN)

and your first tree house was in fact an underground nuke cache :smiley: