Track Days in Longtan

Due to the excessive length of the previous thread, heres a fresh new start along with some basic introductory information.

The track is located in Longtan, Taoyuan county. There is no public transportation, and if you’ve never been there its best to ask one of us to show you the way. Its not far from shimen dam and the amusement park “window on china(小人國)”. They might have changed names now to doraemon land I believe. Here is a google maps link. maps.google.com.tw/?ie=UTF8&t=h& … 03433&z=18

The name of the track is currently LTNS(long tan national speedway), changed from last year’s name of GAMFA(grassroots affordable motorsports for all), and it is still commonly called by its original name of TIS(Taiwan international speedway)
In order to enter on weekends, you need to pay 100$ per person, and if there is an event around 200-300$. If you would like to ride your bike/drive your car on the track, you just need to pay 150$ per 20 min session or 500$ for all day. The price is very reasonable and IMO quite priceless in terms of the experience and opportunity you can gain compared to if you would like to do something like this in the states for example(10x the price). You need to have basic protection at minimum(full face helmet, jacket, gloves, knee protection), but if you find yourself getting more involved its best to pick up a leather suit. They can be found as cheap as 15000$ new or less used. Also make sure your ride at least has some decent tires, suspension and brakes also highly recommended.

As to the condition of the track, its not much to brag about and some spots can be dangerous. The length is 1.45km, cut down from an original 1.8km+ I believe years ago. Many sections are in disrepair, so don’t expect much better that what most roads are like in Taiwan. Despite these drawbacks, its the biggest, and unfortunately probably the best track in northern Taiwan. The motorcycle/car racing scene in Taiwan is centered around this track, and races are held monthly or bi-monthly. Scooter racing also takes place here, although it is mainly centered around a number of smaller go kart tracks. If you are beginner its probably best to come out on some of the quieter days during the week, as it can get crowded on the weekends. Due to the size and speeds attained on a track this size, serious injuries are rare, but crashes are quite common, however you aren’t running risk of serious injury if you have proper gear.

The action on the track can get a bit wild at times, as there can be quite a gap between a beginner just getting the feel for it, and a veteran with a highly tuned race bike pushing the limits. There are no rules as to passing, and on practice days there are actually little to no rules at all. The best advice I can give to beginners is to keep yourself calm and not to panic if you see/hear someone coming up behind you. Try not to change your lines suddenly or do anything unpredictable. As a warning however I’ve seen a number of times duels between racers which inadvertently involve people going slower around them, sometimes with undesirable results. All the racers at the track however are friendly people which can be held accountable if something goes wrong. People are always willing to help out, particularly the foreigner group which is always eager to expand :slight_smile:

Please feel free to share your experiences and feelings about the track here on this thread, and let us know if you have any questions or want any more information.
Here are some useful links:
gamfa.com.tw/
Calendar
motoringfans.com.tw/default/default.asp
more information/articles on the racing scene.
youtube.com/watch?v=kcPpNXSX … ofilepage#
one of my old vids of the the track (onboard cam)

[quote=“Temple”]Due to the excessive length of the previous thread, heres a fresh new start along with some basic introductory information.

The track is located in Longtan, Taoyuan county. There is no public transportation, and if you’ve never been there its best to ask one of us to show you the way. Its not far from shimen dam and the amusement park “window on china(小人國)”. They might have changed names now to doraemon land I believe. Here is a google maps link. maps.google.com.tw/?ie=UTF8&t=h& … 03433&z=18

The name of the track is currently LTNS(Longtan national speedway), changed from last year’s name of GAMFA(grassroots affordable motorsports for all), and it is still commonly called by its original name of TIS(Taiwan international speedway)
In order to enter on weekends, you need to pay 100$ per person, and if there is an event around 200-300$. If you would like to ride your bike/drive your car on the track, you just need to pay 150$ per 20 min session or 500$ for all day. The price is very reasonable and IMO quite priceless in terms of the experience and opportunity you can gain compared to if you would like to do something like this in the states for example(10x the price). You need to have basic protection at minimum(full face helmet, jacket, gloves, knee protection), but if you find yourself getting more involved its best to pick up a leather suit. They can be found as cheap as 15000$ new or less used. Also make sure your ride at least has some decent tires, suspension and brakes also highly recommended.

As to the condition of the track, its not much to brag about and some spots can be dangerous. The length is 1.45km, cut down from an original 1.8km+ I believe years ago. Many sections are in disrepair, so don’t expect much better that what most roads are like in Taiwan. Despite these drawbacks, its the biggest, and unfortunately probably the best track in northern Taiwan. The motorcycle/car racing scene in Taiwan is centered around this track, and races are held monthly or bi-monthly. Scooter racing also takes place here, although it is mainly centered around a number of smaller go kart tracks. If you are beginner its probably best to come out on some of the quieter days during the week, as it can get crowded on the weekends. Due to the size and speeds attained on a track this size, serious injuries are rare, but crashes are quite common, however you aren’t running risk of serious injury if you have proper gear.

The action on the track can get a bit wild at times, as there can be quite a gap between a beginner just getting the feel for it, and a veteran with a highly tuned race bike pushing the limits. There are no rules as to passing, and on practice days there are actually little to no rules at all. The best advice I can give to beginners is to keep yourself calm and not to panic if you see/hear someone coming up behind you. Try not to change your lines suddenly or do anything unpredictable. As a warning however I’ve seen a number of times duels between racers which inadvertently involve people going slower around them, sometimes with undesirable results. All the racers at the track however are friendly people which can be held accountable if something goes wrong. People are always willing to help out, particularly the foreigner group which is always eager to expand :slight_smile:

Please feel free to share your experiences and feelings about the track here on this thread, and let us know if you have any questions or want any more information.
Here are some useful links:
gamfa.com.tw/
Calendar
motoringfans.com.tw/default/default.asp
more information/articles on the racing scene.
youtube.com/watch?v=kcPpNXSX … ofilepage#
one of my old vids of the the track (onboard cam)[/quote]

I probably live closest to the track of any of the forumosans, and am pretty good with directions…If you need to know how to get there, send me a PM.

It’s damn good fun, the atmosphere surprisingly supportive even though you know you are getting in some of the faster riders way. Having very quick two strokes sneaking up on your six and passing you at speed can be unnerving, but realize that they are watching your line from the rear, and as long as you don’t make any sudden moves you are reasonably safe.

I’m admittedly not one of the faster riders on the track, but when i go it’s not about that at all…I never come off the track without some new (albeit subtle) information about my riding style, the way I hit a turn, watching someone better than me choose their line, or just the sheer adrenalin rush of giving you and your bike that “extra” push.

It’s a freaking blast. You get home, your pegs are scraped, your chicken strips are gone, covered in sweat, your leathers stink…It’s all good man.

On weekdays the track is near empty…So if you are lucky enough to have time off between Tuesday-Thursday, likely you’ll have the place to yourself.

I need to get out there much, much more often…

I agree with MJB, “It is damn good fun.” I was probably one of the slowest riders out there when I first went there, but still, I was having a blast. There have been plenty of supportive riders out there, helping with riding tips and with work on the bike should you need it.

I ride a 1996 NSR, during the weekdays, it is “Dad’s Taxi” and I use it to take my young fella to and from school, but, I also race it alongside RK and Temple in the TMRRC, and although I am still 6 seconds behind them in race lap times, just being in the race is a total rush. Just the feeling of being on the starting grid and then the light goes green and it is a mad dash to the first corner…

I have been far too busy this year, haven’t got out there nearly half as much as I would like to. I need to get out there much, much more often… :happybiker:

The team(CSRT) and I will be at the track tomorrow at 10. If anyone has the free time you’re welcome to join us for what looks like great weather and fun at the track :slight_smile:

Yep should be fun, we will be out there around 10-11ish.

I will be there as well.but around 9 ish/ 10

You never made it!!

Anyway there is a scooter race tomorrow at the track. If I can get out of bed, I will be there in the afternoon.

You never made it!!

Anyway there is a scooter race tomorrow at the track. If I can get out of bed, I will be there in the afternoon.[/quote]

Sorry man, something came up. U understand, you own a business as well :wink:

Learnt a valuable lesson on Sunday, first time I’ve tried getting around the track quickly in the wet :no-no:

I now have it on good authority (my bike’s refusal to keep traction and stay firmly on the tarmac) that it requires more skill and experience than I currently possess.

Anyhow looking forward to watching you guys race next Sunday, pretty sure I’ll have healed up enough to make it.

rain is quite a challenge… one i prefer not to come up against honestly. U gotta be really brave to try and race around in the rain. Hopefully its clear on sunday.

[quote=“n00b38”]Learnt a valuable lesson on Sunday, first time I’ve tried getting around the track quickly in the wet :no-no:

I now have it on good authority (my bike’s refusal to keep traction and stay firmly on the tarmac) that it requires more skill and experience than I currently possess.

Anyhow looking forward to watching you guys race next Sunday, pretty sure I’ll have healed up enough to make it.[/quote]

I was pretty impressed with you guys. Hey and congrats on the time trial win!! No big deal if you wiped out in the rain, everyone does that, even the pros. Anyway, hope you guys think about racing next season. I think you should give it a try. Anyway, hope to see ya Sunday, please don’t bring the rain with ya. :slight_smile:

[quote=“rk1951”]
I was pretty impressed with you guys. Hey and congrats on the time trial win!! No big deal if you wiped out in the rain, everyone does that, even the pros. Anyway, hope you guys think about racing next season. I think you should give it a try. Anyway, hope to see ya Sunday, please don’t bring the rain with ya. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Cheers, I’d be pretty keen on riding more often and perhaps getting involved in the newbie nsr class.

Any info on what would be required to get involved as a privateer would be welcome, also when does the season run from?

Yea i believe anyone can enter and run. You can just pay from race to race. Temple was a privateer last season before he hooked up with WRRP.

This year’s season runs from April to December, with races every other month. For a total of 5 races.

[quote=“Beast619”]Yea I believe anyone can enter and run. You can just pay from race to race. Temple was a privateer last season before he hooked up with WRRP.

This year’s season runs from April to December, with races every other month. For a total of 5 races.[/quote]

Tks for the info, is there a race license of some sort required?

[quote=“n00b38”]
Tks for the info, is there a race license of some sort required?[/quote]

Yeah you need to get the race license, but basically all that is involved is paying the money. The test is all in Chinese. When I took the test, I was just given the answers. It was really no big deal. The test just covers all the flags, and I would be more than happy to give you a run down on those.

You can enter as a privateer, but remember that if you get 1st, 2nd, or 3rd you might have to strip down some of your engine. You are required to take off your head so they can check your piston size just to make sure you are not cheating, and also they take off the left side of your engine case to make sure you are not running a high speed stator. It is pretty easy, but if you hook up with a team you don’t have to do any of this.

Your NSR is set up now for the “N” class. Most riders in that class are new to the scene. You can run any tires, except slicks. Any size carb is welcome. People are running 28mm all the way to 39mm like me. You can change to any Taiwanese made front suspension, most riders are either using the Kymco Zing/Xing, Yamaha FZ/FZR, Kymco Quannon, or just beefing up the stock suspension. Any rear suspension is fine. Most riders run either run the bolt on Taiwanese fully adjustable RPM rear shock or get like a 2000-2004 Yamaha R1 rear suspension, but that take some custom work. You can use any brakes you want. Your engine size has to stay stock 150cc, but you can use the Thai cylinder and head, or you can port the stock cylinder. I am not sure what most people are doing. I run the Thai cylinder and piston, but I know others are running stock. You can change your wheels too. I think most riders run the 3.5’ rear wheel and a stock front. You can also lighten your NSR as much as you like.

Come to the track and see for yourself what some riders are doing. IMO, your NSR right now is capable of doing well on the track. Ya just have to start riding and then go from there.

Tks RK, your post about answers all the questions I had.

Have to admit that I haven’t been paying much attention to the technical specs of the bike and have been happy as long as it was going reasonably quick and staying on the road ok :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll have to check with my mechanic to find out exactly what he’s done and if the bike has a standard bore. I pretty much gave him a budget and asked him to make it fast, I know the crank has been modified and there’s a better than standard clutch been put in somewhere along the line as well as work done on the ports. Though my poor Chinese didn’t get me any further info than that.

Keen to take a look at some of the other bikes on Sunday :smiley:

[quote=“n00b38”]
I’ll have to check with my mechanic to find out exactly what he’s done and if the bike has a standard bore.:smiley:[/quote]

I would be 100% positive it would be a standard bore, I really have never heard of an NSR bored up higher than stock. I think for the rules at the track you are can bore up +3-5cc. Temple might know exactly though.

grats on your win noob :wink: Chances are your cylinder isn’t bigger than the rules allow +/-2cc I believe. When it gets rebored for repairs its only a very small increase in overall cc. If u wanna race at LTNS, ask lao shi to get his team over there so u can register under xin cheng. Hes been slacking for years :raspberry: I should stop over there someday and chat with him about it :ponder:

Temple, thanks for the info & links in your original post. I live about 2 mins away from the track, and have been meaning to take my son there to check out some of the car races. Wouldn’t mind seeing a few of you on the bikes on some occasion, as well.

Perhaps I’ll see you chaps there one weekend. Maybe in a week or two after I take a few brokerage tests and have a bit more free time on the weekends.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Temple, thanks for the info & links in your original post. I live about 2 mins away from the track, and have been meaning to take my son there to check out some of the car races. Wouldn’t mind seeing a few of you on the bikes on some occasion, as well.

Perhaps I’ll see you chaps there one weekend. Maybe in a week or two after I take a few brokerage tests and have a bit more free time on the weekends.[/quote]

Us chaps will be racing Sunday, come and check it out. The weather is looking great too, perfect for racing!!