Trading in the US market, without a US account or address?

Trading in the US market, without a US account or address?

I am a US citizen, have a US address, a US bank account, and use an online US brokerage. Seems to be going smoothly now, but, in the future, I could be losing my US address.

I fear that this could cause some banking issues with my US bank account, and thats where my funds from my brokerage account go.

Does anyone have any clue how to avoid this potential issue?

[quote=“timmyjames”]I am a US citizen, have a US address, a US bank account, and use an online US brokerage. Seems to be going smoothly now, but, in the future, I could be losing my US address.

I fear that this could cause some banking issues with my US bank account, and thats where my funds from my brokerage account go.

Does anyone have any clue how to avoid this potential issue?[/quote]
Do you have relatives in the US whose address you could use?

Not really. The address was my childhood home, but my mother was divorced, and has since passed away. I have a sister, but she is more hassle than anything, and we are not very close.

I have an account at Vanguard, linked to my credit union account in the US, both of which have my Taiwan address on file as my official address.

Hmmm, well here’s to hoping I can get my bank to change my address w/o any b/s…ty for the info.

Dunno why they should give you any trouble. As long as you have a US social security number for tax reporting, that’s all they care. I changed mine online with both Vanguard and my credit union. Pretty routine,…

Dunno why they should give you any trouble. As long as you have a US social security number for tax reporting, that’s all they care. I changed mine online with both Vanguard and my credit union. Pretty routine,…[/quote]

I have a checking account, and was recently in the US, and added a savings…they were rather strict (I was even using my US address still)…they said after 9/11 they have to do tons of checks

a lot of expats have had problems opening accounts. this one is already established, so hope it’s ok with the overseas address.

I used my parents’ address when opening a Vanguard account years ago, and have since changed the address to here in HK. I seem to remember others saying on this or another forum that Vanguard and Fidelity will definitely let you open with a US address and then change it to overseas, but have at times not allowed US citizens to open the account with a foreign address.

If all you want is mutual funds, then Vanguard is fine for an overseas American. If you want to trade individual stocks frequently, though, I wouldn’t recommend them as their brokerage service does not have the greatest customer service. Fidelity or T. Rowe would probably be better in that respect.

You can definitely trade US stocks from brokerages in Taiwan or Hong Kong, but you will pay more for the trades. You may eventually be tossed to the curb by such institutions anyway as they are becoming increasingly paranoid about being accused by the IRS of helping US tax dodgers.

[quote=“Jive Turkey”]I used my parents’ address when opening a Vanguard account years ago, and have since changed the address to here in HK. I seem to remember others saying on this or another forum that Vanguard and Fidelity will definitely let you open with a US address and then change it to overseas, but have at times not allowed US citizens to open the account with a foreign address.

If all you want is mutual funds, then Vanguard is fine for an overseas American. If you want to trade individual stocks frequently, though, I wouldn’t recommend them as their brokerage service does not have the greatest customer service. Fidelity or T. Rowe would probably be better in that respect.

You can definitely trade US stocks from brokerages in Taiwan or Hong Kong, but you will pay more for the trades. You may eventually be tossed to the curb by such institutions anyway as they are becoming increasingly paranoid about being accused by the IRS of helping US tax dodgers.[/quote]

yeah, i use zecco…and they should be ok

just the potential bank issue

What about getting a PO Box in the US or places like Mail Boxes etc. that gives you a US based address? At least it gives them a place to send bills or statements to. If you dont want to go to the US right now maybe a mail forwarding service?

the possibilities are endless.

Deleted b/c of double-post (stupid slow internet!). See below.

How do they track these US tax dodgers down though? Especially if you’re married to a local (who you trust with your money). Seems like a pretty good way to keep Uncle Sam’s mitts off your loot. :discodance: