Traditional left-right dichotomy in Taiwanese politics

If the KMT continues to claim that Taiwan is a province of R.O.C. and puts up efforts to block democratic referendum to put an end to it, then it’s an ongoing occupation, as the incorporation of former Japanese territory into allied states without self-determination is against UN charter and clear military occupation.

Yeah, CKS. I take it that hansioux is not a fan. :slight_smile:

I think hansioux means CCK; maybe he’s combining Wade-Giles (Chiang Ching-kuo) with Hanyu Pinyin (Jiǎng Jīngguó).

I suspect you’re reversing cause and effect.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I learnt a lot, although it all kind of aligns with what I already assumed.

One other thing. I’ve heard that the KMT have historically adopted more “foreigner-friendly” policies, and that the DPP (who are, ironically, more popular with the foreigners in Taiwan) are more protectionist and hesistant to give foreigners too much rights/encourage immigration to Taiwan. Is there any truth to this?

Absolutely. The KMT immigrants from 1948 were 10 percent of the population. They have maintained power by manipulating or being friendly with minorities such as the aboriginals or at least being outwardly friendly to foreigners/allies. The DPP caters to the populist whims of the Hoklo majority. And yes, my experiences in working within the Taiwanese government decades ago (2002 to 2005) would lead me to say that they are ultra protectionist on cultural issues (Taiwan first) and pretty unsophisticated in their view of outsiders (whether that is KMT immigrants from 1948 or anyone who has arrived since). I have worked in many countries and many cultures prior and after working in Taiwan, and the DPP political appointments were the biggest country bumpkins I have ever met with the exception of one or two (e.g., Tsai, a few of her appointments that are foreign educated). The KMT? Marginally better but that is not saying much. The politics of Taiwan and Chinese culture in general? Good people do not enter politics. Traditional view but a correct one IMHO. Politics in Taiwan being pro blue or green? Horse shit. The colour should be a stinky brown for both (probably true in every country based on my work for other governments around the world, but especially true for Chinese political systems). Politics is a greasy pole business as Disraeli used to say. :laughing: You have to be at least a partial sociopath to enter it and enjoy it (and I do! :grin:). Lots more money to be made in the private sector but nowhere near the fun.

5 Likes