Traffic accident in taipei, being sued now after 5 months

Thank you! Will definitely look into it and ask for proof!

I dont plan to leave taiwan soon, thats the problem hahah

Who said that ?

A criminal case? For what? Did you drink? Drive reckless? Run her over to kill her? Did you hit and run?
Did the police actually come to the accident site and measure up everything?

You should ask for prove, or your lawyer should. They can not just demand any amount. If they needed 5 months to decide suing you thatā€™s a long time. They are in their right until 6 months after the accident to sue, but they could have asked to negotiate first.

Iā€™ve heard enough crazy s*** about situations like yours the last few months, Taiwanese are vultures in cases like this.

[edited]

1 Like

They kept getting the case delayed and extended. Each time she showed up she was ā€œworseā€ off. One of the last times they judge asked him ā€œArenā€™t you going to leave soon?ā€ He took the hint and left the country.

To be 100% clear, we donā€™t ā€œknowā€ sheā€™s drunk. When we were in the hospital initially (her for many injuries, my friend for a broken collar bone) they said she and her family demanded that my friend take a blood test for alcohol, to which we said ā€œSure, but she has to as well.ā€ Suddenly they were like ā€œno wayā€

This incident aside though I have to say 99% of my interactions with Taiwanese have been fantastic.

Itā€™s best to ask a lawyer. :2cents:

1 Like

The police

So, you got some paper to that effect ?

Nope. Police only said that. I couldnt even have a copy of the report.

All i have is some kind of ā€œreceiptā€ that i went to the police station on that day and did all that needed to be done for that time.

Sounds to me that you have been neither sued or charged for anything, the police are merely doing a investigation.

Once/if you get sued and/or charged you will get something a bit more formal than just a receipt plus information on eg what charges, who is suing you, for how much, etc

Just chill and donā€™t worry about it, seems to me like nothing serious, yet at least.

Something just hit me, how did you know to go the cophouse at that time ?

As i said, since the police called me, because they wanted to sue, i had to come over to provide my arc and passport info.
We then went on a revision of the ā€œsue process paperā€ saying my rights into the court and a brief statement of what happened.

He told me to wait for 2 months for some kind of invitation letter from the court.

He also told me that since i got injured i could sue back, which is also what i decided to do, since she sued me. I also got scooter damages and a hospital bill for that day. Not that i want any money, but just want to get this over with.

But once she sued me i feel on the right to sue her too and see where it goes, since shes trying to win smth over me (please enlighten me, if my thinking is wrong about suing back).

Today im getting the hospital certificate proof and then calling the LAF as @yyy suggested, see how it goes, and going to the station in the evening to sue them back.

Honestly i have no clue on what it will all turn out, and i am somehow afraid of all of this situation. Since i heard so many times of things not turning out well for foreigners here.

What about the OPā€™s insurance company? Donā€™t they usually get involved if thereā€™s an accident and damage claims?

When i went there, they looked dumb with the situation, didnt know what to do, spoke no english, and called her son, whivh said their bills were already covered by ger own insurance, and what they were looking for is personal compensation.

So she told me they dont do this kind of compensation, and would talk with them again, and that they were gonna call me back in the next day. Never heard of them till now. Its been a month.

To resume: everyone i asked for help or assistance, or simply to do their job till now( in the physicall world), had been of no assistance at allā€¦ it kinda of frustrates me so much, that i feel so dubious about this whole situation.

If she sued you and you can sue back her and it is not a civil suit, is a traffic accident with injured persons an offense subject to prosecution only on complaint from the victim?

I think you need a help from a lawyer to understand what is happening. (You will get it from LAF as yyy recommended)

Sorry to hear your insurance company hasnā€™t been more helpful.

1 Like

What? Thatā€™s bull, you can get a full report after a week or so, it takes time, you also can check online to see if the report is already finished and than go to precinct to get it, itā€™s in mandarin but still. She need to provide a written statement from a doctor that she needed 24/7 care, otherwise no money honey! If she comes up with that document itā€™s at 2,200 NT$/day for care.

[edited]

You are basically insured for third party damages, I think also for medical that NHI doesnā€™t pay back up until a specific amount. Ask your insurance company. Or better ask for the contract that specifies everything.

Was there any cameras that caught the accident? I was in an accident and the police collected the videos. I didnā€™t know they had it until after a month when the guy tried suing. I was even able to watch the two cameras view of the incident. In the end it was determined he was at fault. So, make sure you can prove old lady went thru red light, whether it be in police record or video.

We all have seen old people with complete disregard for Donā€™t Walk, I always assumed they hoped to die or had some death wishā€¦

Unfortunately there was no cameras there, and all there is 2 witnesses which dont really want to get involvedā€¦ but i feel the same as you. Total disregardā€¦