Traffic accident in taipei, being sued now after 5 months

So, you were driving, you had green light and she had red but crossed the road in front of you. You had to brake and slipped than hit her. It’s clear she’s at fault, but without any witnesses or video it’s hard to prove.

Exactly!!!

There are two witnesses, a couple that was driving behind me. But till now police couldnt get ahold of them. Im really hoping for the court to find them, and get their testimony.

Personally I would just ignore here. She’s old, right? If she has the patience she can wait and try and get some claims out of you in a court but that’ll take time and money. Plus, she was at fault.

I’m suspecting she’s trying to intimidate you into setting the case outside of court in a personal settlement or cash in hand kind of deal. Seen this sneaky kind of tactic before. Closer it gets to the court date the more nervous she gets. Call her bluff

1 Like

A criminal suit often has an ancillary civil suit. It’s like, one for the government, one for the victim.

If the prosecutor declines to prosecute due to low chance of success, a civil suit can still proceed, but the plaintiff will probably be less optimistic.

1 Like

In the case of a civil suit, if you ignore it, isn’t the plaintiff’s claim granted, unless it is obviously in violation of laws?

There was this other case recently where a low-income motor scooter rider hit and killed what turned out to be an old retired big-company founder. The rich family sued the rider for compensation, including for the lavish funeral the man of that position deserved. He also crossed the road when the lights indicated red to him. Definitely need a good and experienced lawyer, because the law here is not always in favor of the party that did nothing wrong.

Btw. that’s one of my constant pet-peeves when it comes to road behavior in Taipei. Old people disregarding red lights. People who benefit the most from traffic regulations and need them the most think they are above the law. Why the F are old people in a hurry anyway? And of course the greedy families who try to milk accidents caused by their old parents or grandparents as hard as they can. Want to see the ugly side of Taiwan, have an accident.

2 Likes

I saw an old lady cross Wenxin Rd in Taichung against the light pushing a recycling cart. This particular road is 4 lanes in each direction but she didn’t care, she was going.

I yelled out to her as I was legit scared for her, she looked at me, then continued to push the cart across the road with vehicles swerving to avoid her, I have no idea how she escaped an accident. It was on a blind curve too so people coming around the bend would not have a chance to brake at all.

Same goes with the ones that come out from side streets and right into traffic without turning their head once.

I also have no idea how these people lived to the old age they are at with those habits.

Welp, one could say they don’t have too much time left. Better make good use of it.

I really hope so!!! Cuz i got nothing to give her…

https://thebolditalic.com/why-the-chinese-chase-the-bus-the-bold-italic-san-francisco-1e1fa2b904f0

1 Like

This dreadful habit gets on my nerves everytime I ride my scooter…They just shoot out of an alley/side lane at speeds in excess of 60km/hr and turn right without even looking left or turning their head slightly…it would not be that dangerous if they took a right and kept on the far right of the lane and then merge slowly with the main traffic…but HELL NO!!!..they would just turn right into the middle lane without giving a rat’s a$$ about anyone behind them and when you honk your horn, they would give you that famous stare as if they did nothing wrong. I almost crashed into these idiots on numerous occasions when I was a newbie on this island but now after almost 18yrs, I got smarter and ride in the middle lane (if there are 3 lanes) or I’ll just keep slightly to the right of the Express Lane on a 2 Lane road so I can avoid getting a ticket & more importantly, avoid crashing into them.

same here, i use the middle lane.
downside of that is now you are in range of the traffic cameras :crying_cat_face:

Correct me if I am wrong, but motorists are to yield to pedestrians regardless of the light color. If a pedestrian is crossing or anywhere in the street in the way of traffic, motorists are supposed to yield.

She could be fined for crossing on a red, but he could be fined for failing to slow and yield and for possible speeding. They both can sue each other too. She can sue him for hitting her and he can sue her for endagering him by crossing on a red and partialy at fault for the accident.

Yep he should use her that is the best way to get them to back off. By the way you don’t have to pay costs of other side if you lose , hence so many frivolous lawsuits in Taiwan.

To be precise, you don’t need to pay the lawyers’ fees, but you (usually) do need to pay the court fee, which is (usually) peanuts in comparison.

Basically.

1 Like

That can’t possibly be the case. Pedestrians would walk everywhere. Motorized traffic would be snail-paced. Now, if you mean that whoever hits a pedestrian has to take (part of) the blame, you could make a case for that and many attorneys probably do that in court.

1 Like

There is a court fee??! No one ever told me about it, how much is it?

Thats what i was thinking about too…

Iiuc, both parties have fault, but a pedestrian ignoring red traffic light may have a bigger fraction of fault than a careless moterist on green light. Of course, it depends on the whole situation.

1 Like