Traffic accident in taipei, being sued now after 5 months

Well yeah, you can’t willfully run someone over and justify it by saying “I was on a green”.

1 Like

It depends on the amount of money being sought. See “litigation expenses” and “litigation aid” (not to be confused with legal aid) in the Civil Code of Civil Procedure.

Might it be the case inside the pedestrian markings only?

So if you’re walking within the marked-out lines, you as a pedestrian have the right-of-way at all times. One step outside the pedestrian markings, though, and (if you don’t have the traffic lights on your side) it’s not the driver’s fault if he or she hits you.

I believe that’s the way it works in some US jurisdictions.

really? Drivers don’t have a duty of care on careless pedestrians in US?

In France, the law says that drivers are required to anticipate any pedestrian crossing the road, regardless of whether the pedestrian crosses lawfully. In case of accident the driver is liable, except if the pedestrian was attempting suicide or committed an “unforgivable mistake” (interpretation left to the judge, though the law excludes in that category anybody younger than 16 or older than 70).

Same in Canada but in Canada it goes further even if the guy was trying to commit suicide , the driver shares some of the blame too for not anticipating the jumpers move.

Children running out on the road you are pretty much 100% at fault even if it was sudden.

He tried to slow down but slipped on a wet road due to her crossing on red. He got hurt by her actions, she got hurt by her actions because of wet road conditions.

1 Like

Well you better leave the car at home and walk!

Whatever the law, I think it’s always a good idea to slow down whenever there is a situation where someone could step in front of you, intentionally, accidentally, or stupidly. Always anticipate the bad behavior of other people out there.

1 Like

You get more protection by the law that way.
Pedestrians and bicyclists rule the roost there.

I went home for a vacation last year, saw a big truck turning as I was crossing, got scared and stopped thinking it was Taiwan and I was going to get run over. He waved at me to say what are you waiting for, your the pedestrian.

3 Likes

sounds like greek to me haha. guess ill have no idea of what kind of money we will be dealing with till the time comes…

In the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium too, I guess in most of northern Europe.

1 Like

Only if the pedestrians stay within the markings of the pedestrian crosswalk. Outside the markings (and if the light is against them), the pedestrian takes on 100% of responsibility.

There may be more variance in this area than I’m aware of, but I don’t think so. Insurance companies are picky about this, too. Keep in mind that there are multiple layers of the law in the US, meaning that every city is allowed to make its own traffic laws. I would venture to say that tourist areas have laws more in favor of pedestrians.

This is one of the biggest reasons jaywalking is so strictly enforced in many cities. (The other reason is the “broken glass” theory of law enforcement, that enforcing even the most minor of laws keeps down bigger, more violent crimes.)

So this doesnt apply to taiwan?

In my opinion, this is almost 100% the OP’s fault. Going back to the original post, OP says he had time to make decisions, even time to anticipate the pedestrian’s actions. Also time to look at possible escape routes. Bottom line, OP was going too fast for the road conditions. If you can’t stop a scooter in an emergency without going down, then you are going too fast. Slow down, especially on wet roads.

2 Likes

No, it doesn’t apply to Taiwan.

As in many other areas, the US is different from the rest of the world when it comes to pedestrian crosswalks.

Sorry, Code of Civil Procedure, not Civil Code. I was tired when I posted that.

It’s a confusing document, but not as confusing as it looks.

Here’s a sample:

Article 77-13
In matters arising from proprietary rights, the court cost shall be 1,000 New Taiwan Dollars [ " NTD " ] on the first NTD100,000 of the price or claim’s value, and an additional amount shall be taxed for each NTD10,000 thereafter in accordance with the following rates: NTD100 on the portion between NTD100,001 and NTD1,000,000 inclusive; NTD90 on the portion between NTD1,000,001 and NTD10,000,000 inclusive; NTD80 on the portion between NTD10,000,001 and NTD100,000,000 inclusive; NTD70 on the portion between NTD100,000,001 and NTD1,000,000,000 inclusive; and NTD60 on the portion over NTD1,000,000,000. A fraction of NTD10,000 shall be rounded up to NTD10,000 for purposes of taxing court costs.