Traffic cameras

I’m all for it, however there are a lot of practicalities to consider. I’ve no idea how many cross walks, traffic lights, junctions etc etc there are in Taiwan but I’m sure it is a very big number. The cost and logistics of having a camera at every single one along with the storage of footage would be astronomical. You’d also have to contend with the big brother objections. What currently happens is areas with higher than normal accident rates or reported crimes get cameras. Hence, report the crimes you see, as before, if enough people do so the problem will be reduced.

1 Like

It could well have been white, my memory of the event if somewhat fuzzy.

The costs could be returned within a week given the number of traffic infractions plus the infrastructure is almost all built out already.
Its a political issue, unpopular with voters.

2 Likes

Once people know the cameras are there the infractions will stop…The cost would be absolutely astronomical, certainly not something that would be recouped in a short or even medium term, add to that the maintenance of infrastructure and the secure storage of footage. It’s just not big enough of an issue to justify cameras at every junction in the country, a Pareto of events determines priority.

What has been very successfully implemented is ease of reporting traffic crimes by citizens, hence record and report. Blackspot areas then get cameras.

Considering most intersections are already loaded up with electronics and cameras of some sort I fail to see the astronomical cost to be honest. With scale comes a massive decrease in cost and traffic can be monitored by AI.

1 Like

very successfully? mate the roads are CHAOS.

not one person took out their phone to take a picture of the law breaker earlier. nobody gave a rats arse about it. an automatic camera can do a much better job. and lets be real Brianjones hit the nail on the head, they don’t do it not because of costs, because people here enjoy the freedom to drive like utter shit heads.

1 Like

there are already cameras friggin everywhere! I have never seen an intersection that did not have a camera in Taipei. Speed and red light snap shot cameras, maybe not. But normal video cameras, yes. If you are really this worked up about it, go report it and have the footage pulled. Ive done it before, the cops were pretty willing to help.

1 Like

People honestly dont really care enough here to be citizen police as you suggest they be. Remember, here the train of thought is almost always, “Well nobody got hurt, so what’s the problem? Don’t think too much.”

If people were snapping pictures of traffic violations all the time, nobody would ever get to where they were going. :yum:

Including yourself. If you want to change things start at home. It’s stupidly easy to report traffic offences here, there are dedicated websites for every area of the country, they even have a special input to cater for ARC numbers, Taipei has an app ffs. Use the facilities.

1 Like

sure, i don’t see why they or i need to become vigilantes though when a machine does a better job, would fix the rampant traffic crime and make the place safer and more pleasant. its just common sense to me, informed by what i have seen back home.

mate, i would be here all day. literally all fucking day(have you ever crossed the street here?). i have a job. and at the end of the day the only thing i am going to improve is my chances of getting a baseball bat to the face by some pissed off guy.

What magical country do you hail from that has automatic ticketing at every single junction and cross walk?

Stick to bitching on Formosa so.

just because i don’t want to become a vigilante it means i’m bitching? alright then. i posted on here to find out what was up with the camera situation and brianjones gave what is most likely a very accurate insight.

i’m from england. i wouldn’t say its magical, more like common sense the way people don’t break the road laws willy nilly because they don’t want to get fined and lose their licence… crazy concept that.

Majority of drivers in England don’t break the road laws willy nilly because they’ve undergone proper training and testing, have some respect for others and good manners for the most part rather than being worried about fines.

Not pedestrian heaven in any way though, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3108063/Britain-s-10-dangerous-pedestrian-crossings-including-junction-EIGHT-people-died-2005.html

Not so many cameras in evidence either Cameras?

the learning to drive part is true, the other stuff is nonsense. respect for each other and good manners? england has all sorts of chavs and hooligans. it seems like you are saying taiwanese drive badly because they don’t have manners and british people only follow the rules out of their own good nature…

not sure what your point is with that link. an accident happened back in 2005? i can’t recall a single time i crossed at the crossing back home and the cars didn’t stop and let me cross. in taiwan it would be the opposite.

Try walking across the street in New York City under a green walking signal. Almost like Taiwan.

Forgot they put two new speed cameras on the road between Zhongli and the baseball stadium. I was reminded last night by a sudden flash in my side mirror and peripheral vision. Hopefully since there were several cars and a few scooters around me (was also on my scooter) that the picture won’t clearly show it was me who triggered the camera. :whistle:

Careful, mobile speed trap cameras are also popping up all over the place. They hide those on the side of the road as speed traps. Hard to see until you have passed them.

1 Like

Care to share which one is it?
Does it also covers NTC?