Traffic density during the Lunar New Year holiday

I’m planning to go to Taitung from Tainan by motorcycle during the Luna New Year holiday. And it will be 3-day trip. I’m thinking that I depart on 11st Feb and come back on 13rd Feb.

However, I don’t wanna be in heavy traffic jam when I’m travelling. So, please let me know which day and what time would be better to go.

Related, here is the list of freeway restrictions https://www.freeway.gov.tw/Upload/Html/20201030238/

2 Likes

The two days bracketing the New Year? It doesn’t matter which day or which time, you’ll have heavy traffic the whole way. Are you planning on taking the highway via Kaohsiung?

1 Like

For the South Link Highway(台9線), the Directorate General of Highway predicts heavy traffic to Taitung on 2/10, 2/11, 2/14, 2/15, and 2/14-2/16 towards Pingtung. I doubt motorcycles will be affected as much though, the highway has recently been improved and widened in several sections.

1 Like

No I drive 120cc motorcycle, so I can’t use highway. I hope I can get there in 5 hours haha

@efficient_kiwi @fifieldt Thank you but I can’t use the freeway due to my motorcycle is light one.

I’m 8 kilometers outside of Taitung coming from North and traffic is at a standstill or stop and go getting into town until the 4 lane area where still heavy.

The east coast roads already heavy today.

Going South from Hualien most little roadside attraction or convenience store or sausage cart has 20 or 30 or 40 cars parked up and down the road.

I just passed my third accident of the day.

As above, taitung is already turning into a west coast shitshow :frowning: will only get worse. But on a scooter you are WAY better off.

Tainan to taitung city tajes 4 hours in a car with no traffic (driving safely). Expect more than 5 :wink: but during hollidays scooters probably knock off 2 hours compared to a car.

Watch for bad drivers. Lots of accidents already happening…