Traffic violations

One thing i did enjoy coming back to the bay area was that the driving is so much easier. Back in the day all you needed was to have a US drivers license, pay a small amount of money at the TW DMV and see a doc for a vision test, weight and height assessment and voila you got yourself a TW drivers license. Thats how I got mine. NO ARC or anything needed.

Why do they make things so complicated now?

Especially since driving in TW is so much a joke as far as traffic law knowledge and all that is.

YOU need super human skills and perhaps need to be certifiable to drive in Taiwan is what you need.

Could be that Taiwan is catching up to the “west” and its’ anal retentiveness?

sigh

The days of Freedom … :boo-hoo:

Yes i think thats exactly it. Got one of the worlds tallest buildings, check, got an MRT, check, got a high speed rail, check, got restrictive laws on work and immigration rights ala the USA, check, etc, etc.

Only 17! That would imply some people were actually adhering to traffic rules. :bravo:

Only 17! That would imply some people were actually adhering to traffic rules. :bravo:[/quote]

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Had a great example this weekend of “not yielding”, my wife was driving along a mountain road barely wide enough for one car, a guy is on our left slowly coming out of his open driveway perpendicular to our road, we see him, slow down and horn him, he stops, so we keep going and a split second before we pass him he lets the gas on and very nearly rams us into the side of the mountain!!!
:fume: :fume: :fume:

2 minutes later another driver thinks he’s in the UK and has the cheek to horn us when we’re stopped on the RHS and he’s burning through at 60 in the LHD/Middle :doh:

But the guy before was right - the biggest problem is that the police are never gonna tough it up against the “big men” so the worse offenders will continue and continue acting as role models for the rest

I hate the fines, makes me feel like im in a police state, especailly when I got stopped by a cop who (after handing over the paper fine to me with the 600 box ticked) I asked why I broke the law and he couldnt explain, just shrugged his shoulders, told me he had been told to stand there and catch anyone coming straight and fine them for turning left (the road layout is confusing so “straight on” is technically a “left feed” and the right turn is a “right feed” and using this definition a left feed is a let turn…) Seems like you could apply this argument to any junction though…

Is it a traffic violation to drive with your fog lights on if it is not foggy?

Why would it be?

yes, it is.

道路交通安全規則第 109 條規定
4. 非遇雨、霧時,不得使用霧燈。

2 Likes

I have about 6 1200nt fines :frowning:
I just wanted to be more visible.

It’s a safety hazard because your fog lights blinds oncoming driver. Which is why it’s a violation.

2 Likes

Where did you learn to drive?! It’s a violation in most countries.

On a farm, what about you?

Really? I drive with them 247 when in Canada and not illegal here. In the daytime fog lights don’t really add glare so why a fine?

What Taiwan needs is to force people to actually use their headlights. I see many nimnods still driving around with no lights at night unbothered by law enforcement

1 Like

Actually fog lights are beaming side ways and down, are not that strong. On the other hand the rear fog light is blinding when used in clear conditions.

Front fog lights (not to be confused with under bumper driving lights) do add glare and are certainly a hazard at night and an annoyance in daytime.

Rear fog light users in clear weather should be flogged, those who connect their rear fog lights to the brake light circuit should be caned.

Most of those reported for fog light usage are reported by other road users, if the complaints on local Facebook pages are anything to go by. Those fined for driving without lights are likely a lot more hesitant about complaining about the fine!

I learned to operate a vehicle on a farm too, I learned to drive later and it’s a continuous process. You need to get to stage 2.

Are you guys confusing fog lights with high beams?

Fog lights are “low beams” and reflect less light off of water particles.
High beams are brighter and reflect a lot of light off of water particles.

It annoys me far, far, far more when people have their high beams on and they are driving directly at you. Blinds you completely and so many turd drivers around here drive around with them on all the time.

What about yellow and blue headlights? Are those illegal? I see those a lot too.

Fog lights have nothing to do with headlight high and low beams, they are separate pieces of equipment fitted to some vehicles.

Fog lights are a type of low beam. Therefore fog lights are low beams and low beams are fog lights, etc etc etc
Ah forget it. Whatever.

And red head lights? Dumb idea, but pretty common in Taiwan, it’s like Christmas lighted scooters and cars! They should friggin’ fine all of them!