Tragedy in Newtown, CT (for gun control debate visit the other thread)

(From Newtown, CT)
Tragic mass shooting massacre at the Sandy Hook Elementary School today:

Live news stream:
thedailybeast.com/articles/2 … ates0.html

Heartbreaking. :thumbsdown:

Update:

19:00 ET - Residents of Sandy Hook turn out en masse for a vigil.

19:40 ET - A prayer circle outside Newtown church. They’ve softly started singing Silent Night.

Just watched the news. Heart-breaking indeed, and sad scenes that we’re now all too familiar with.
There’s no any point in discussing gun laws anymore, we’ll now have the usual hand-wringing and positioning from both sides, and nothing will happen.

Best instead just to grieve for the families who will be without their kids this Xmas, and forever more.

On the contrary the point should be the gun laws. The 20 year old guy had a military grade rifle and two handguns, that’s why the death toll is so high. Sort out the gun laws.

This is a .223 rifle
m.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ … 473701-1

Of course semi automatics can be just as deadly, where are these guys getting multiple weapons from when they are 20 years old?

I am sad, sick, and heartbroken over this. I’m also embarrassed for my country, that we could produce so many people who would do such a thing and make it so easy for them to procure the means to do it. Horrifying. Tears and prayers for the victims’ families, and for the children who survived with their innocence in shreds.

This made me cry today. My own son is a fourth grade student in a small rural school. It’s too horrific to contemplate. A murderous assault against innocent children is simply too difficult to fathom. So heartbroken and sad for everyone involved. There just are no words for this. Those who lost children, CHILDREN, can’t even have the comfort of telling them again tonight how much they love them. Those who still have their children to hold can only do this, hold them and listen to them talk about a day that will never leave them. A day they were told to walk out of their school building with their eyes closed to try to shield them from what horrors site might have revealed. It is just too much.

I pray God’s peace, strength, and grace to all those families. Families with gifts under trees for children who will never unwrap them. God. God help us all in this country.

I feel sick thinking about it.

Mods can we maybe have 2 threads here? One about the tragedy and the feelings it might bring up for posters, and one for people to tell each other how smart they are about gun laws. It would seem a shame to sully a decent thread with yet another bitter argument.

Since this is going to turn into a gun debate I’d just have to say the guy is not only sick in the head he’s incompetent. If I were him and had a lever-action rifle and a revolver (guns around since the 1800s) I probably could have done worse. The argument that military type rifles should be banned doesn’t make 100% sense to me. 20 people died but if he wasn’t allow to buy that gun maybe only 16 or 17 would have been killed, we need to get rid of all of them and this won’t happen anymore :loco: As long as there’s one gun in private hands the children won’t be safe :loco: I don’t own a military type weapon, so it wouldn’t impact me anyway. But I don’t care what laws they pass they’ll never get my lever-action and revolver. Some think I shouldn’t have the right but rights weren’t made for the majority opinion they were made to empower individuals in spite of the majority

gun control debate aside.

what sickens me is the media interviewing the children. children. that’s just not right, period.

I think I am becoming inured to this kind of tragedy. Columbine, the ground zero for such catastrophi, so shook me, I spent the following summer adapting and directing Romeo and Juliet so that it had a strong message to parents about ignoring the brewing tide of violent tendencies in their children as its central theme.

Today, the children are younger, the death toll is higher and I am saddened, but not shocked. It’s all too commonplace in a land of unpriable hands.

Changing the gun laws won’t stop deranged sociopaths from their misguided missions. They will find the means to their bitter ends. Hopefully Obamacare can work in some caveat for better access to mental health professionals. As for guns, personally I hate them. But by this point in American culture, trying to rid the country of them or even change the prevailing opinion towards them is like holding back the tide with a teaspoon. I think an amendment to the criminal code should be brought forth whereas any crime with gun would result in triple the penalty. Or some more onerous sentencing.

All that aside, I have not become so inured that I can’t voice my support for all the victims of this senselessness. My heart goes out to all those affected by this terrible, terrible taking of innocence. Sad days indeed…

Well, this guy was certainly empowered, wasn’t he?

Personally I blame irresponsible parents. It’s not enough for your 7-year-old to put his piece in his lunch box; he’s gotta be wearing it at all times. Imagine if that shooter had tried to take on an entire class of pistol-packing second-graders - but no, liberals stopped those kids from having open-carry in the classroom…[/quote]

Not sure if you are joking or trolling, but now is hardly the time.

alright fellas, I am now kindly asking yall to keep the gun control arguments out of this thread. start a thread in the politics forum if you must. but keep that stuff out of here, thanks.

[quote=“Pop Fly”]

Changing the gun laws won’t stop deranged sociopaths from their misguided missions. They will find the means to their bitter ends. [/quote]

Proven today. (Edit: Just to be clear, I’m agreeing that we will always have ‘sociopaths with misguided missions’, not that gun control in the US doesn’t need a serious overhaul.)

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2012/12/2012121481220620325.html

Since most of these nutters go in with the idea that they are not coming out, penalties are not a consideration.

[quote=“navillus”][quote=“Pop Fly”]

Changing the gun laws won’t stop deranged sociopaths from their misguided missions. They will find the means to their bitter ends. [/quote]

Proven today.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2012/12/2012121481220620325.html[/quote]

Not proven. It shows that we may be powerless to prevent attacks, but we can restrict the kinds of weapons madmen choose to use. It’s some consolation that those 22 kids in China have lived to see another day.

As a parent, it makes me sick to think of this tragedy. I am at a loss for words.
Yet again, another school massacre. This is not a debate about gun control, military munitions, NRA nor healthcare. Time and time again, these issues have been addressed but no changes over the last twenty years. I personally think that each school should have a police officer on campus during school hours. These laws won’t change nor will the mentality of these individuals. The best thing to do is to have a police officer combined with stricter access laws to schools. I think when I was growing up how easy it was to walk in and out. Times have changed. If they can have stricter controls at airports and public buildings. Why not schools. They are public institutions after all?

Sometimes people do things because it’s available to them.

If the dude had a knife and goes and hack at kids, I am sure a lot less kids would be dead.

All school shootings since 1996

I think this map says it all.

Public institutions that hold treasures more valuable than every museum in the world combined. I often think about this when at my daughter’s school, observing the 60-something year old security guy, wondering if he would even have the presence of mind to even make a call to the cops if the shit hit the fan.

Which was what I was trying say, sorry for the confusion.

This incident makes us all lose a little bit of humanity. Iv been pretty much dumbfounded all day.

The thing is, its going to continue because there are many who want to go out this way, by being notorious for murdering the most children, etc.

Schools will have to be as secure as embassies, with heavily armed guards and full body scans , etc.

Every mall in Jakarta has guards and xray machines after the horrible bombing they had about a decade ago.

The US needs to take action.

The world has changed.

It is so sad when you need to consider security measures at the elementary school level. Movie theaters, malls, grade schools, middle schools, high schools, colleges, hospitals, airports, senior homes…the world has changed so much since we were young. Shootings like this happen all too often in the US now. Instead of waking up thinking what should I do today, it is as if we should be saying “I hope I don’t get shot today”.

Thoughts are with their families. So senseless, so terribly wrong.

[quote=“baberenglish”]As a parent, it makes me sick to think of this tradegy. I am at a loss for words.
Yet again, another school massacre. This is not a debate about gun control, military munitions, NRA nor healthcare. Time and time again, these issues have been addressed but no changes over the last twenty years. I personally think that each school should have a police officer on campus during school hours. These laws won’t change nor will the mentality of these individuals. The best thing to do is to have a police officer combined with stricter access laws to schools. I think when I was growing up how easy it was to walk in and out. Times have changed. If they can have stricter controls at airports and public buildings. Why not schools. They are public institutions after all?[/quote]
definitely should tighten the security.

"Video of the vigil held in Newtown, Conn., after man massacres 26 people at elementary school, including 20 kids:

"

cannot even fathom what this xmas must be like for the families who have lost their loved ones today. my thoughts go out to the people of newtown.

The face of true bravery:

[quote]
Dawn Hochsprung: Sandy Hook Elementary’s Heroic Principal

On Saturday, officials in Newtown, Conn., lauded the heroism of Hochsprung, a relatively new principal, noting she had lunged toward the shooter in an attempt to overtake him before being fatally shot. A fourth-grade teacher at the school credits Hochsprung with flipping on the intercom switch, which broadcast “screaming and crying,” through the school, in order to warn teachers.[/quote]
thedailybeast.com/articles/2 … cipal.html