Tragic train crash in Hualien on April 2, 2021

He might not have even really been aware of where his truck was in relation to the tracks. Who knows.

Hopefully guard rails can be implemented in the future. Also in the case of roads bordering ponds and lakes for nighttime driving.

Yeah but this is Taiwan. You’ll have to pull teeth just to maybe get drivers to use the handbrake.

A friend of mine was on the train. Posting via IG stories. Apparently she found a kid without shoes lost and confused outside the tunnel and gave her extra pair of shoes to him. His mom still hasn’t emerged from the tunnel. So tragic

6 Likes

Death count updated to 41.

Terrible news, just awful. : (

Guy

They say “Prosecutors reportedly questioned the person in charge of the tunnel project to find out why the vehicle had not been parked properly.”

This is one of the things that really irritates me here. Nobody questions anything until it causes an accident that was bound to happen. Then people who were supposed to be doing the oversight pretend to be shocked…

The truck was not parked properly because nobody here parks properly and that’s totally accepted.

My dad owns a construction company and my first job was doing roofing. I pass by construction sites here all the time where you can spot various safety violations without even looking for them they’re so bad. Nobody cares until something bad happens…

8 Likes

I would like to know if the driver was drunk. I’ve seen these construction guys drinking beer, chewing betelnut and drinking those shitty energy drinks (with alcohol?) while at work.

8 Likes

Focus Taiwan has posted an updated report on this terrible news:

Guy

Many Taiwanese drivers use the handbrake excessively. They pull the handbrake even when stopping at a red light. Apparently, this guy is not one of them.

1 Like

I never use the parking brake.

According to the TRA, the vehicle should not have been parked on the slope because there was no construction work going on at the time.

The driver of the vehicle has been taken to a local police station for further questioning.”

We all make mistakes. Some we really regret. But imagine living with the fact your fuck up killed 50+ people.

8 Likes

That’s weird imo

1 Like

I have no idea what is going on the mind of this truck driver, whether this is a thoughtful man or not. But it does seem to me that entire generations of people in Taiwan are trained NOT to think about (or apparently care about) what happens to others. I don’t write these words with joy, but I do believe this to be unfortunately true.

Guy

11 Likes

:joy:

Handbrakes can and do fail. I think the correct procedure when parking on hills is to switch to a low gear so that if the vehicle does get loose it will do so slowly. But also I would say blocks should be used to keep the wheel from moving should brakes fail.

I am sorry, I don’t think anything about this terrible event is funny.

Guy

48 deaths, 118 injured.

2 Likes

your observation was, at least to me.

oh man… I hope it doesn’t keep increasing…

Just like this site - the Heart shaped “Like” icon down the bottom. Just not appropriate with some reports and would require manual disabling by mods depending on the subject.

1 Like