Train rides

Is it still the case that even if you have a ticket you are not guaranteed a seat? I’m off to Jiufen(via Ruifang) and am way to lazy to stand for the whoole forty minutes… Also, should I buy a return ticket or is it easy enough to buy one at the other end when I feel like coming back?

yep

[quote=“rhinogirl”]
I’m off to Jiufen(via Ruifang) and am way to lazy to stand for the whoole forty minutes… [/quote]
Then take the nasty blue train with no air con that takes forever to get there - you’re almost certain to get a seat on that.

[quote=“rhinogirl”]
Also, should I buy a return ticket or is it easy enough to buy one at the other end when I feel like coming back?[/quote]
Get a single.

You are just passing through Ruifang to go somewhere else, aren’t you?

[quote]You are just passing through Ruifang to go somewhere else, aren’t you?
[/quote]
Yeees, but just wondered if it was easy enough to get a single ticket back to Taipei when I’m done. The reason I ask is that someone told me you can’t always get a ticket when the train is full. But if you don’t get a seat anyway why would it matter that the train is full… ???hmm
Just asking…

Never had a problem getting on a train in Taiwan.

I often manage to get a seat on the weekend, even though I’ve not booked one.

If you book a ticket a few days before you go, you get a guaranteed seat, at least on Fu xing, Ju guang and Zi qiang trains (the “faster than local” trains).

I use these to travel between Taipei and Hsinchu every 2 weeks or so, and I ALWAYS get a seat.

Went to Jiufen via Ruifang a few weeks ago, had no seat in either direction, going there was relatively fine but coming back was rather painful with thousands of people on the train. Bought single tickets though it’s irrelevant, no seats anyways.
Wouldn’t wanna complain though, Jiufen is a cool place and I say it was worth standing on the train.
As far as I remember there are buses going to Jiufen from Taipei, that might take longer but probably you won’t be standing all the way. More probably you will not get on the bus at all… :slight_smile: