Trainer: Effective? Recommendations?

Does anyone work with a Trainer right now?
Has it been effective?
What was your goal and did your trainer help with it?

I find I’m exercising, but maybe not enough. I don’t really need to lose much weight, but I’ll like to get more muscle definition.
I think it’ll have to be a combination of lifestyle change (ie. what are you eating) and upping the exercise.
I was hoping a trainer might get me started and get into a routine I can eventually handle myself. :blush:
Anyone have any nominees?

I find working with a training partner is more useful. I made friends with the guys at my local gym and we just spot for each other. It’s a small independent gym so the boss is only too willing to help out and advise when he’s about. This is good enough for me.

My goal was to put on serious weight but I guess my experience can be applied to weight loss / toning up / any major fitness goal. I was already very very fit and at the advice of aforementioned boss actually reduced my cardio for 2 month periods.

I never make excuses to miss my 4 gym sessions a week so my problem was eating discipline. Eating 7 times a day might sound like a lot of fun but it’s really hard when you’re self employed and just don’t have the time. I started making healthy snacks and lunches in the morning. Finding a training partner has probably made me work at least 30% harder in the gym, and combined with the planned eating schedule and helpful advice I’ve put on 3.5kg in the past six weeks. This is pretty much the maximum possible healthy gain so things are definitely working this time. I’m 71kg now and plan to ease off a bit to go for my target weight of 82kg in the next 6 months.

I’d say: trainer is a waste of money but they’re your beans. You can get the same motivation by finding a friend with similar goals to train with you. As long as someone is there to make sure you’re excercising with the right form and pushing you to do those extra reps, that’s all you need. If you don’t mind a more, err, ‘rugged’ environment, I find the small independents are better for this than the chains full of posers.

Also, someone gave me some great advice that I should set reasonable weekly, monthly and quarterly goals. This has really given me an extra boost when I see I’m really getting there. So what are you aiming for?

[quote=“kellohitty”]Does anyone work with a Trainer right now?
Has it been effective?
What was your goal and did your trainer help with it?

I find I’m exercising, but maybe not enough. I don’t really need to lose much weight, but I’ll like to get more muscle definition.
I think it’ll have to be a combination of lifestyle change (ie. what are you eating) and upping the exercise.
I was hoping a trainer might get me started and get into a routine I can eventually handle myself. :blush:
Anyone have any nominees?[/quote]

Man, do you know how hard is it to find a girl who works out in Taiwan? (aside from our ultra buff 914)
Even if they go to the gym, they just walk on the treadmill and do step classes.
I don’t really know how to use the machines and I don’t know how many reps I should be doing in order to build some muscle. My goal is to lose a couple pounds, nothing drastic, while building muscle, especially leg muscle.
I already eat pretty minimal and spread my meals out to 5 times a day. I don’t want to resort to cutting down on what I eat b/c it’s not much at all. Usually, I eat a huge plate of fruit for breakfast in the mornings and something else. Lunch is a toss up, but it’s usually a big lunch. Afternoons I snack on something and I eat very small dinner around 6:30. After 7:30, I don’t usually eat at all.

I find motivation a big problem. Being conscience of what you put in your body all the time gets a little tiring, as well as the will to go to the gym. I play badminton twice a week for 4 hours each time, so at least I get some cardio, but it doesn’t really build that much muscle. As i have read, the more muscle you have, the easier it is to burn calories.

PILATUS classes at Alexander. Personal and tough.

A personal trainer can be effective for a week if you are willing to take the basic lesson and run with it on your own.

I’ve never used a personal trainer because I thought that by watching and asking advice from fellow gym goers, that it would be good enough for me. Some people use trainers for motivation but let’s face it folks, how many of you have seen a personal trainer in Taiwan that would make you say “WOW”?. Answer: none.

My advice to you-watch others in the gym closely. Watch the movements and different types of excercises. Don’t be afraid to ask advice because gyms are and always have been a social atmosphere. Pick up fitness magazines and read them from cover to cover. 6 months of Flex magazine issues and you should be truly versed on what types of excercises are used and what areas they work specifically.

Hire a personal trainer to show you the ropes but don’t be suckered in. Stay with he/she for a week to a month only because it can get expensive and ultimately I believe they are useless for an extended period of time.

"Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something deep inside them, a desire, a dream, a vision. They must have last minute stamina, they have to be alittle faster, they must have the skill and the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. " - Mohammed Ali

It’s kind of hard to find anyone who works out seriously here, even guys. The guys come in and make lots of noise and throw the weights around but don’t seem to actually do anything. The girls seem just to be looking for hot bodybuilders. And I’m just a bitter old crone who moans at everything.

If you want to put on muscle - whether guy or girl - then free weights are better than machines. Maybe you can ask someone at your gym to teach you how to do squats? You can start off by using the bar with no weights and will see great results. Proper squats work out your whole body and tone your legs/thighs/ass - they are THE excercise for guys and girls that most people avoid. It’s hard work but you’ll soon show the posers when they see the effects.

If you want to start some light weightlifting, you really need someone to show you proper form, whether using machines or free weights. 5 good reps are better then 100 useless reps. For example, my (female) friend complained that she was doing 200+ sit-ups a day with no results. I was amazed that anyone could even do that many in one set and found out she was just straining her back instead of actually working her abs at all.

Unless you have an awesome metabolism, you can’t build a lot of muscle while losing weight at the same time. Then again, maybe girls are magic or something. All the experiened guys told me to weight train 6 weeks, fat burn/cardio 2 weeks. I guess you would maybe want to do it the other way around because I take it you don’t want to look like Arnold Whatsaneggar… or do you?

On sets/reps… the basic rule is that lower reps (4-7) and heavier weights build muscle size and lighter weights of 12-15 reps will enhance muscle tone. You actually gain the muscle while you sleep so it’s important to drink lots of water and get plenty of rest.

Whatever gym you join, someone should show you how to use the machines and develop a general workout schedule. It’s kind of dangerous and irresponsible if they don’t…

Good luck :slight_smile:

[quote=“kellohitty”]Man, do you know how hard is it to find a girl who works out in Taiwan? (aside from our ultra buff 914)
Even if they go to the gym, they just walk on the treadmill and do step classes.
I don’t really know how to use the machines and I don’t know how many reps I should be doing in order to build some muscle. My goal is to lose a couple pounds, nothing drastic, while building muscle, especially leg muscle.
I already eat pretty minimal and spread my meals out to 5 times a day. I don’t want to resort to cutting down on what I eat b/c it’s not much at all. Usually, I eat a huge plate of fruit for breakfast in the mornings and something else. Lunch is a toss up, but it’s usually a big lunch. Afternoons I snack on something and I a very small dinner around 6:30. After 7:30, I don’t usually eat at all.

I find motivation a big problem. Being conscience of what you put in your body all the time gets a little tiring, as well as the will to go to the gym. I play badminton twice a week for 4 hours each time, so at least I get some cardio, but it doesn’t really build that much muscle. As I have read, the more muscle you have, the easier it is to burn calories.[/quote]

The reason I would never ever go to California Gym is:

the showing-off types looking for easy girls…
the shouting and , yes making noise when not needed to show “how painfull” it is playing with weights. loosers…

I realy can reccomend the Alexander gym. Mostly well-educated locals, not looking for extra muscle.
The trainers can set up a nice programm for you.

Yup… the Chinese idiom 華而不實 (hua1 er2 bu4 shi2) - flashy without substance - was surely made for that place :slight_smile: It’s times like this I’m glad I’m a bloke (although going by the sort of guys who frequent California Gym I don’t think anyone’s safe).

[quote=“ceevee369”]The reason I would never ever go to California Gym is:

the showing-off types looking for easy girls…
the shouting and , yes making noise when not needed to show “how painfull” it is playing with weights. loosers…

I realy can reccomend the Alexander gym. Mostly well-educated locals, not looking for extra muscle.
The trainers can set up a nice programm for you.[/quote]