Training and Materials

I also found that I spend as much time adapting materials from my coursebook just to make them usable that I always end up jacking the text book, and making stuff that I know can work. It usually takes the same amount of time, and I enjoy making my own stuff. I’ve jacked the book on several occasions, but last year I relented and allowed David Nunan back in with Listen In 3.

That is a decision I rue to this day. His books are about as intellectually/emotionally satisfying as a … (finish the proverb).

I always wonder how students can be interested in these kinds of books, when the teacher more often than not is BORED by the next incarnation of SIDE BY SIDE (substitute your nemesis title here).

My rant.
Kenneth

Last time I taught at a big adult school, I was quite surprised how many teachers NEVER used the audio tapes for the books. I wonder why? I always try to use them (unless they’re pathetic) because it’s one of the few aspects of most books that you can really rewrite.
Kenneth

So instead of using book recordings, record programs in English, even if it’s a cartoon, on an audio cassette. You invoke interesting responses on what the students can predict is happening by voice tones, sound, effects, and of course the words spoken. You could extend it by having them illustrate a scene that they heard on tape, act it out, or write/act out what’s going to happen after the excerpt they hear. I like using audio in my older classrooms because they can hear English with native speakers in practice, even if it’s semi-authentic materials. It would be hard for them to get that in a classroom where there is only one native speaker.

I know it’s quite expensive, and difficult for those who don’t live in Taipei to get to, but Tiny Tots Preschool sells all kinds of authentic English materials which is perfect for an immersion-based school. They have all sorts of teaching materials and books, games, posters with real English applications, and classroom decor to make the classroom a language-rich environment. It’s near the JianGuo Rd.-Chunghsiao E. Rd. intersection. It is a true oasis for English teachers.